Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 PM

35 posts, read 233,154 times

Advertisements

If you want recreational boating, skiing, jet skiing and fishing then you may want to look at Cypress Springs or Bob Sandlin in the Mt. Vernon area of east Texas. Sandlin is not as developed as Cypress yet and it is a great lake to play and fish on. There is still some vegitation in Sandlin where Cypress is mostly veg free. Sandlin is about 9000 acres and Cypress is between 3000 and 4000 acres so they aren't too small nor are they too large. Some one mentioned Lake Fork which is absolutely great if all you want to do is fish but that is one stumpy lake that is full of vegitation that isn't meant for pleasure boating and skiing unless you are near the dam. Lake Tyler is nice but small and Palestine is older and more silted in with some good fishing. ANother lake to check out might be Cedar Creek near Gun Barrel City. It is a highly developed lake with lots of nice homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:18 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler1946 View Post
You definitely want to check out Lake Palestine, 12 miles south of Tyler but pretty much developed all the way to Tyler - four lane road. Lake is beautiful with a few hills, pines and oaks, water is clean, not the look of Lake Livingston - homes range in prices from older mobil homes to very expensive homes - such as Eagles Nest - which is up on a hill overlooking the lake.
You mean Eagles Bluff

Old 06-27-2008, 07:33 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
My place is at Island View at Lake O the Pines. Short hop to Caddo. I love canoeing on the Big Cypress from Ferral Dam down to just past Jefferson by the Nature Conservatory property. Absolutely beautiful and great for wildlife photography as long as you don't tip the boat. I'm kind of worried about Caddo now that they are using LOP as a reservoir. The drought a few years ago really lowered the lakes and they were pretty low last year too. Could not even launch boats except just below the lookout point at the dam on the LOP side. Everything looked good when I was up there 2 weeks ago though.
Oh ok...I misunderstood you and thought you said you had a place at Caddo Lake. Anyway, yeah, we were there several weeks ago (and will probably return sometime in late July) and things looked good as well. From what I hear from locals/friends in the area, the price of lake lots have really gone thru the roof over the last ten years.

I have only been to Lake O' the Pines once so am not very familiar with it other than recalling it was a beautiful lake.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:56 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
you might want to check out possum kingdom lake west of ft worth--not an east tx lake but good for water skiing...and pretty clear

Old 06-27-2008, 03:03 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
You can add Lake Whitney to the list if your looking for clear water.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 PM

99 posts, read 310,821 times
Default Lake O' the Pines

I have lived on Lake O' the Pines, since 2005 and really like the peace and quiet. It does get busy somewhat during fishing tournments and during the open seasons, the boats are so close together where the crappie are biting, you can walk from one boat to another!

And Caddo lake, camping, and fishing park, is located in Uncertain, Tx. and has great bass fishing!
LOP is a Corps lake., with camping available. If a person needs to buy stuff, Texarkana, Marshall, Longview, Tx. or even Shreveport, La., has just about anything.

Google; Lake O' the Pines, for more information.

LOP is over 25 miles in length.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:32 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Dangerfield Park and lake just NW of Lake O the Pines is one of the most beautiful parks, especially in the fall. Last time I was over there, wild turkeys were chasing our car.

Hey angelwings are you on the north or south bank?

I am so looking forward to retiring in 10 years, then I can become a permanent resident of the area again. I love to hear the wind whisper or sometimes whip through the pine trees.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:42 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
I like the one by Tyler State Park, but I'd give Lake Palestine a serious look. And don't forget one that's barely in East Texas, and that's Richland Chambers Lake, the state's third largest.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 14,504 times
No body mentioned lake Hawkins or Holbrook small lakes,used to go swimming at hawkins years ago nice sandy bottom,
water was pretty clear then, been 4 or 5 years but still should be.

Pretty area Nice Home Sites always wanted to get a place at Hawkins.

One thing about Lake of the Pines and Bob Sandlin Talk to The People from the Area.
You can get a place That Will be waterless half the Time.
Your boat will be Mid air with No water in Sight.
Lake of the pines really gets bad in droughts.

Oilrod

Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
We just spent a week at Lake Palestine (not the first time by any means)....lots of nice homes, privacy, trees, but lots of important things very convenient (supermarket, medical clinic)....spent one day out on a pontoon - no boat traffic at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas