U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 AM

264 posts, read 1,104,042 times

Advertisements

We are interested in purchasing lake property in East Texas -- either land or property with a home already on it. Can somebody recommend some nice lake in East Texas? Some criteria are large, ski-able, clean (preferably rock bottom rather than sand or mud), and family friendly. We've already checked out Lake Livingston, and it's too muddy with too many snakes. We'd like to find something near Tyler, Palestine, Nacogdoches, etc., further north than Livingston.
We're going to start taking weekend trips and scouting out prospects.
Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:20 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,884,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbun View Post
We are interested in purchasing lake property in East Texas -- either land or property with a home already on it. Can somebody recommend some nice lake in East Texas? Some criteria are large, ski-able, clean (preferably rock bottom rather than sand or mud), and family friendly. We've already checked out Lake Livingston, and it's too muddy with too many snakes. We'd like to find something near Tyler, Palestine, Nacogdoches, etc., further north than Livingston.
We're going to start taking weekend trips and scouting out prospects.
Thanks!!
Have you looked into Lake O' the Pines in NE Texas?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,962,992 times
None of the east texas lakes will have a rock bottom, the geology of the area will not support it. ALL lakes in Texas will have snakes (whether you see them or not). Most east Tx lakes are similar to livingston. Some good East texas lakes include: Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend, and Lake O the Pines. I like Lake O the Pines as it is convenient to Longview and a short hop to Caddo. I do have a house there. Sam Rayburn is larger and is quite pretty but is not really convenient to a larger urban area.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:43 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,884,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I like Lake O the Pines as it is convenient to Longview and a short hop to Caddo. I do have a house there. Sam Rayburn is larger and is quite pretty but is not really convenient to a larger urban area.
Just out of curiosity, Poltracker, what area of Caddo Lake is your place? We get out there several times a year ourselves.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 PM

10,420 posts, read 46,349,686 times
Like Polltracker said, most East Texas lakes are like Lake Livingston. Lake Conroe seems a tad clearer.

You might have seen Lake Livingston after several days of wind. Yes it can get muddy. Maybe you should give it another shot after several days of calm weather.

Why would you want rocky bottoms rather then sandy? A sandy bottom is much more forgiving to your prop then a rocky one. To a boater, a sandy bottom is a must in more shallow lakes like Livingston.....especially north of the 190 bridge where some of the best Bass fishing is.

If you want to give it another look then check the south end near the dam. Camila is nice which is where my place is. If you like golf then check out Cape Royale. It is beautiful inside the Cape. If money is no object to you then you will find some of the most expensive water front homes on the lake inside the Cape.

Finally if you are looking for some peace and quite, you can get out on Lake Livingston on 4th of July weekend and have the whole place to your self. Try that on Lake Conroe. I love Lake Conroe too but on a busy weekend you can walk across the water on the boats.

And price? I can assure you that there is no place in the United States of America that one can buy a beautiful home on a 90,000 acre lake with dock and steel bulkhead for $250,000. And be about an hour from the best medical care in Houston and all else it has to offer. Not to mention a great medium sized town of Livingston just 15 minutes north, also with a good hospital and lots of great restaurants.

Either way....good luck to ya...........

Old 06-26-2008, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 19,847 times
Default Lake Palestine nearer Tyler than Palestine

You definitely want to check out Lake Palestine, 12 miles south of Tyler but pretty much developed all the way to Tyler - four lane road. Lake is beautiful with a few hills, pines and oaks, water is clean, not the look of Lake Livingston - homes range in prices from older mobil homes to very expensive homes - such as Eagles Nest - which is up on a hill overlooking the lake. You could stay in a condo or maybe cabin, haven't look up cabins yet, I think it's called The Villages on Lake Palestine, you know timeshare etc. If you haven't been to Tyler - City offers much for a place of approximately 100,000 pop. Pull up Tyler on the this web site. Anyway you really should give it a try. If you need a few of the things the "Big" cites have, Dallas is 1 1/2 away all freeway except 6 miles from "The Loop" in Tyler to the interestate. Good Luck !!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:56 PM

2,312 posts, read 4,609,567 times
Many East Texas Lakes have a lot of stumps, all are mud, sand and clay bottoms. If clear water is a criteria you need to stay near the dam areas. Also lakes with a lot of underwater aquatic growth are more clear (Livingston is lacking that below the US Hwy 190 area). Rayburn and Toledo Bend are pretty darn clear near the dam. TB has stumps though. The other lakes listed are smaller (Tyler area lakes) with Palestine being your best choice.

Might want to look toward the Highland Lakes of CenTex and more specifically Lake Buchanan. East Texas lakes are more fishing oriented and less recreational.

One thing to note on the underwater vegetation thing is it doesn't grow deeper than in 20'. Also a note on Conroe is that there is the potential of another stocking of grass carp to devour all aquatic growth if whining residents start raising cain about any re-emergence of vegetation. This is why Conroe got quite turbid over the past 15 years or so.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:19 PM

2,765 posts, read 4,903,611 times
I like Lake Fork myself and fishing is great there too. Just a jump away from Dallas if you need to go to the city. Area towns are nice, plenty of fresh vegetable stands around, good cafes, and there is Canton, which has First Monday to which people come from all over to, quite the big deal.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,962,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just out of curiosity, Poltracker, what area of Caddo Lake is your place? We get out there several times a year ourselves.
My place is at Island View at Lake O the Pines. Short hop to Caddo. I love canoeing on the Big Cypress from Ferral Dam down to just past Jefferson by the Nature Conservatory property. Absolutely beautiful and great for wildlife photography as long as you don't tip the boat. I'm kind of worried about Caddo now that they are using LOP as a reservoir. The drought a few years ago really lowered the lakes and they were pretty low last year too. Could not even launch boats except just below the lookout point at the dam on the LOP side. Everything looked good when I was up there 2 weeks ago though.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:34 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,296,631 times
Highland Lakes in Central Texas have rock bottoms mostly. Buchanan is a great fishing and activity lake. Travis is more recreational. You can fish there, but some weekends it gets so busy I don't know how people do it. Inks, LBJ, and Canyon are some other ones. I know it's not East Texas, but just thought I'd throw it out there. Everyone is spot on about the East Texas Lakes, But they are nice too; just not rock bottoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or