U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 15,992 times
Smile Relocating to Victoria Texas

We are considering moving from Rhode Island to Victoria. I have a 14 & 16 yr. old, I was wondering how the schools are there. Also the housing, are there any new housing developments? What is the weather really like? Is there a lot of things to do there. Here in RI we have beautiful beaches no amusement parks. Newport RI has a lot of little shops it is a seaside tourist town. There is really not a whole lot to do here so I'm not too worried about that. We seem to be within travel distances to Houston, Corpus Christie, and San Antonio I'm sure we could do day trips there How are the beaches? Any information would be of great help. Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 09:54 PM

5,080 posts, read 2,677,874 times
I have been though Victoria a couple times. I found the city to be very nice. I am not a resident so I can not speak of home prices, but being a gulf coast city you can expect the prices to be around national norms, where cities like El Paso are far below the national norm price wise. City.Data has pretty upto date info and you should look at the page for Victoria to give you more info.. ( http://www.city-data.com/city/Victoria-Texas.html ) It does as do all cities in Texas have an increasing Hispanic population.. I mention that because its an issue on everyones mind. I will say to Victorias credit the hispanic and city Chamber of Commerce have merged.. I think this is a good thing, and shows social advancments. Corpus is about 80 miles awas so an hour to an hour and a half away. Port Lavaca is like 30 miles away so you can be on the coast pretty quickly. Texxas Beaches are all state parks and are fantastic. you can camp on the beach, drive on them, and so forth. I travel to Mustang Island each year to camp for a few days on the beaches there, near rockport. The weather is nice.. can be a bit hummid, but the coast brings a non-stop breeze it seems. You will get plenty of rain and lots of sun too. It was very green down there as I recall..

I think all in all you will like it there.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:57 AM

3,494 posts, read 9,210,965 times
the only thing i can tell you is that they have several good hospitals in the city itself...i know cuz i work with the ER docs who work there, so i know firsthand from them! and though they dont live there, just work there, they say they all like the city-a good size, not too big, not too small, and friendly!

Old 01-20-2007, 02:12 AM

5,080 posts, read 2,677,874 times
Bell, what do you know about the schools there?

Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 PM

10 posts, read 31,355 times
I live in Edna 'bout 28 miles away. If you're Catholic, there is Saint Josephs,and Our Lady of Victoria if not there is Memorial (public) or if Church Schooling is for you, they have it. Excellent schools with top quality teachers and Victoria College available for Starting the Higher learning. good place to live

Old 02-06-2007, 07:37 AM

256 posts, read 906,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbirdhouse View Post
I live in Edna 'bout 28 miles away.
My wife grew up in Louise. Small world, eh?

Victoria is a nice town. We considered moving there but found that we fit better in Temple. I like the coastal area though. Very laid back.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 17,864 times
Default quick warning

toward the end of the Summer, early Fall, until late Fall, be ready for mega big-time BUG infestation. it's the same in Corpus around that time: skeeters and spiders and fire ants go absolutely crazy.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:23 AM

5 posts, read 22,562 times
Default MOving to Victoria

Victoria is a nice middle sized town. IT is an easy drive from there to Houston or Corpus Christi. There is lots of ranch/farming land around there. I am sure there are new housing developments. I believe they have a farily good public school system, but they also have some private schools as well.

The closest beach in North Padre Island. The Gulf is way different that the ocean off of Rhode Island. The water is brownish close to shore. It is beautiful as you get out deeper (sailing or fishing). The water is generally very warm in the summer months.

I love it. I grew up on the lower Texas Gulf Coast.

Last edited by janea; 02-12-2007 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-16-2007, 07:12 AM

74 posts, read 248,017 times
My mom and sister live in Victoria, TX. I did also in the early 1980's. I always tell people that if you really really like a "jungle-type" humidity, you will absolutely love it. As a Texan, I was okay with that but when I married and was able to live in high deserts like Taos, NM and Flagstaff, AZ I never looked back. The mountains and high mountain air are for me. However, if you like humid weather (but along with that, you do have lovely greenery), you will adore Victoria. Enjoy.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 18,917 times
Hi victoriana i live in victoria, tx right now but we gonna move at hallettsville this coming april.. LOL. I do really like this town specially the neighborhood were we live right now cause its very near to the hospital and schools. If you guys gonna live in Victoria better live at Bon Aire Ave..hehehehe Citizens Medical Center Hospital and Victoria College and University of Houston-Victoria right across the block LOL plus the High School..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas