Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 05:06 PM

66 posts, read 316,254 times

Advertisements

I know most people would prefer to live close to where they work but are willing to commute for higher pay. I'm wondering if its worth it when there wouldn't be a sizeable difference in salary. For instance some suburban areas are almost as large as Abilene, Waco, Tyler - and offer lower rents, less traffic, etc. When I checked the Texas job bank (and I know this is ony one place) jobs I found had similar pay rates for Ft.W/Dallas and Abilene or Denton - big difference in rents though.

Maybe its better to just go to one of them if salary is only a bit lower and schools are good. I realize it might mean a distance for museums, airports, other city amenities. If you can get a cheaper cost of living though then I'd think you'd have more disposable income to do those things.

Out of those of you who've chosen either suburban or smaller city, maybe even tried both..what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 01:41 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Ive tried both and i would choose smaller city.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:58 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,430,429 times
Have lived in both. I prefer rural, where I grew up. It's quieter here. A fair number of folks around here commute to the city, but prefer living out here.

If you don't need much of what big cities offer, then smaller is probably better.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Small cities are better if you don't need big city amenities like airports, large minority populations, or variety of stores, local owned and chains. The only real downside I see is that a similar job is, between a random small city and a random suburb of a major city, easier to find in the suburb if a person is laid off or leaves a job for any other reason.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:54 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Many small towns only have a few major employers, so there are fewer jobs available. Many of the "good" jobs in smaller towns are occupied by the same person for literally decades until they retire. So, it may be very difficult for a newcomer to find a good job in a small town. If you get lucky and are able to find one, then I would much rather live in a small town.

I will say from my own personal experience, jobs in small towns do not pay as well as jobs in major cities. Yes, the notable exception to that is any position involving working in the west Texas oilfields.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:50 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Original post of 2007 brought back from the dead to give C.D. ers, something to post about. But as poster who brought this thread back from the "dead, said c.d. encourages this, I bet he is right. Oh well. I too don't have anything to post about, see what I posted, useless, lol.

Think we will have weather tomorrow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: