U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,887,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Looking View Post
And, what about your area...Garland? What type of industry do you have there? After visiting Austin several times, I get the feeling that it is just a cheaper place for the Californians to live (a lot of IT people from silicone valley there).
Name it as far as industry goes. Garland is in the top 10 cities in the state and has a VERY wide range of industries & manufacturing companies. Gosh, there are so many, Valspar Paint, SSI (large trucks), Daisy Brand (Sour Cream), Plastipak, Don Miguel Foods, Interceramic Tile, Intercontinental (defense), etc. We have our main office in Garland and service a lot of the area manufacturing companies.

Yes, a lot of the Austin IT people are from Cali. We have had a huge influx of them here to but not as many as Austin. Austin is kind of the silicon valley for Texas, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 03:05 PM

8 posts, read 36,352 times
Wow that's cool. I am going to have to do the research on that area to see what all is available. Thanks for all of the info. Any other areas that I need to keep in mind when looking? I went to graduated from Oklahoma State and would like to move back there, but after visiting Texas several times....it is much better. I guess all or mostly all of the Dallas / Fort Worth suburbs are basically "yankified" now. Maybe the heat will drive 'em back home one of these days! Just kidding!

Old 01-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Wow that's cool. I am going to have to do the research on that area to see what all is available. Thanks for all of the info. Any other areas that I need to keep in mind when looking? I went to graduated from Oklahoma State and would like to move back there, but after visiting Texas several times....it is much better. I guess all or mostly all of the Dallas / Fort Worth suburbs are basically "yankified" now. Maybe the heat will drive 'em back home one of these days! Just kidding!
LOL!!!! We've been trying to turn up the thermostat for years but they still keep coming . Can't say I blame them. I could not live w/ that much cold weather all the time, the crowds and congestion, etc So not me. Since this side of the "world" as I call the metroplex is not as pumped up as Frisco & McKinney we don't have the huge influx of transplants. Besides, the city is almost built out. A few areas w/ new home construction but not the grand scale you'll see in those "HOT" spots. I've noticed a few more out of state tags but for the most part in my area, they have not inundated the area as there are not that many homes for sale. LOL!!! No 1000 acre master planned communities being built here.

If your wanting to stay in the manufacturing end of things then I'd really look to see what is available in the Garland area. Interestingly a lot of these businesses are locally owned and are involved in a lot of different aspects. Some are not and are well known. You name it and someone in the area probably has a part in manufacturing it. LOL!!! When the economic downturn happened a few years back that hit the telecom corridor it did not effect Garland. It is more diverse w/ such a wide range of industry helping to keep it going. Oh yes, one of our oldest companies, Resistol Hats. They have been in the area since the early 1920's. Here is the link I found for the chamber (http://www.garlandchamber.com/) (broken link). You can look online to see who is in there in the membership search feature. They may have their websites linked and can check for positions available. I know I pass one called J&A Manufacturing everyday and they had something out on their sign but I did not notice what for.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:39 PM

5 posts, read 21,871 times
Default small TEXAS towns

Grandbury is a great little town .. Lots of history around the
Courthouse square! Mineola ( in east Texas. .north of Tyler ) has
a lot of history. . . .. several "Mom and Pop" restaurants. Also, AMTRAK
stops there! Every little town in America doesn't have that luxury! Both
towns are within 45 min- 1 hr from the Metroplex of Dallas/FW.

Info from South Mississippi !

Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!!!! We've been trying to turn up the thermostat for years but they still keep coming . Can't say I blame them. I could not live w/ that much cold weather all the time, the crowds and congestion, etc So not me.
OMG, that is funny! Turn it up higher...ha ha ha LOL!!!!

I'm glad that you provided all of that information. I have since left work and am able to do some research on it now that I am at home. Are there a lot of activities in Garland? Are there a lot of younger folks, 26-35 in age? Night life? How about ranches in the area? I have always wondered how expensive it is to own and maintain a ranch....maybe one day!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdjj View Post
Grandbury is a great little town .. Lots of history around the
Courthouse square! Mineola ( in east Texas. .north of Tyler ) has
a lot of history. . . .. several "Mom and Pop" restaurants. Also, AMTRAK
stops there! Every little town in America doesn't have that luxury! Both
towns are within 45 min- 1 hr from the Metroplex of Dallas/FW.

Info from South Mississippi !
Oh cool, I see there is a lake there also. Wonder how the fishin is the area? Thanks for the info.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
OMG, that is funny! Turn it up higher...ha ha ha LOL!!!!

I'm glad that you provided all of that information. I have since left work and am able to do some research on it now that I am at home. Are there a lot of activities in Garland? Are there a lot of younger folks, 26-35 in age? Night life? How about ranches in the area? I have always wondered how expensive it is to own and maintain a ranch....maybe one day!
Well that did not work so we brought in the ice. THEY ARE STILL HERE! Even the ones from California that are used to sunny beach weather. Nothing will kill them.

There are tons of activities. I just came from a meeting and found out more scoop of what is going on in the Firewheel area. We are getting more restaurants and a Hyatt Suites Hotel in front of the GISD Special Events Center. More stuff being built all around the mall, Firewheel Town Center. Found out that Garland is now "THE" spot to go hang out at the mall for kids in the Park Cities. LOL!!!! Guess they want to slum a little, . We have a great golf course. Lots of bike trails. A lake, Lake Ray Hubbard and Lake Lavon right up the road in Wylie. Lots of activities for kids to be involved in, enough to wear me out. A waterpark, Hawaiian Fallas. While at this meeting I met someone that is a hometown girl, retired school teacher here too. She knew a lot of people that I know and she said the same thing, even though you may not have grown up here if you come in and act "normal" (as all good Southerners know how to do ) and are friendly everyone will treat you like you grew up here. I have that happen w/ others that I'm friends w/ that grew up here. They will start talking to me about someone or something thinking I know all about it. LOL!!! It is just that kind of place. Several events the city puts on like the Star Spangled Fourth.

As far as the younger crowd, I still consider myself part of it as do others my age. Hey, we still can party just as hard. Or as I like to put it, we are at the age we can now afford to have fun and pay for it too and still young enough to enjoy it. As far as "nightlife", not many bars and such, have to go into Dallas for that. But the restaurants that are opening up have bars now and the guys do go and hangout. My husband and his friends now refer to the bar at the new TGIFriday's as the local Cheers. They are there now. LOL!!! That is why I'm on here.

Ranch. Well, not in this area although there are a few places in town that have acreage. They are hidden jewels. Shhhh. Very rarely does one come up for sale and if it does it is gone before the sign gets in the ground. You'd have to go up a bit from here about 3 miles to the Parker area to get more land and a new house now.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:46 AM

I had a look at Garland last night and was suprised at its close proximity to Dallas. Looks like a few hours from the Red River / Oklahoma too. I remember flying into DFW a few weeks ago and the city is so hugh, much larger than Atlanta by sq. mi. I think.

Sounds like there are a lot of activities there too, for all ages! That's a good thing, because I like staying involved. Maybe in the next few months I will plan a weekend trip there so I can check out the area. Really I need about one week to visit several areas and make a decision.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 17,268 times
One way to repel Californians and yankees is to convince them the climate is bad. Lubbock has done that so well, even Dallasites believe it. Amarillo is the place that gets blizzards out of the Rockies; Lubbock doesn't. In summer, Lubbock is 10 degrees cooler and 10% lower humidity than Dallas. On summer nights, the temp drops to 65. Housing cost is low. The culture is cowboy, not redneck. There's one negative: few jobs. I lived in Lubbock for 20 years and loved it. I left for better job opportunities.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:35 PM

147 posts, read 33,338 times
Default Dallas is an inferno

"One way to repel Californians and yankees is to convince them the climate is bad".

Repeat after me! Dallas is burning hot!Dallas is burning hot!Dallas is burning hot!Dallas is burning hot!Dallas is burning hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas