U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2007, 06:29 AM

8 posts, read 36,120 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I am moving to Texas sometime this year and am trying to find out which Texas small towns and / or large cities have NOT been "yankified" yet. After visiting Texas several times this past year, Austin, San Antonio and the suburbs, I think these are nice areas. Only problem is, I do not know which cities and towns have been yankified yet. I would like to move to Texas to enjoy the native Texans and experience their culture. Can anyone help? Ideally, I do not mind the heat and would like to have some freezing temps in the winter if that helps. I know that north Texas has some freezing rain in the weather and hot summers and this would be fine for me.

Please help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 08:00 AM

3,494 posts, read 9,639,261 times
probably any small town in the Panhandle or West Texas......
heck lots of small towns everywhere in Texas....
from my neck of the woods, i can say it sure aint been yankee-fied at all-Jacksboro, Bryson, Graham, Graford, Breckenridge, Loving, Paradise, Bridgeport........
basically any towns in Jack, Wise, Young, Palo Pinto counties

Old 01-16-2007, 08:24 AM

16 posts, read 70,267 times
can someone please define "yankified" for me? :-)

Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 AM

14,874 posts, read 23,547,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnetcanada View Post
can someone please define "yankified" for me? :-)
Basically they are looking for an area that has not been effected by a huge influx of people that are not native to Texas. Most of the major cities in Texas have been effected. Take it from me, one of the last Native Texans and Native Dallasites, there just are not many of us left . That is what cracks me up the most when I read peoples twisted misconceptions about "the south" or Texas as they have ALL been so watered down by the huge migrations of people in this country and from around the world in the last few decades that very rarely do you find someone that is from where they live and their family is all there too. LOL!!! I love the long distance phone solicitors, I don't need it, all of my family is LOCAL!!!! WOO-HOO. They just don't get it.

As far as finding a place that is not "yankified", lol, good luck. How about any area that is at least an hour or more from a major city out by a lake. Most people that locate to a new area hardly ever venture out of their little bubble in the burbs so it is pretty safe to say that going to a small town 1 1/2-2 hours from a major city will find you lots of natives. Trust me, when we go down to Tawakoni even when I'm dressed in "lake wear" for the boat (and I'm talking shorts and a tank over my swimsuit) I feel somewhat like a "city slicker". Or the time I came out of the Dollar General in another small East Texas town and told my husband that I had more teeth than anyone in the store combined. LOL!!! Just kidding but it is very laidback. FYI, contrary to other popular beliefs the farther out in the rural areas you are the less "preachy" and "Christian" they are. I've been to enough small town churches w/ relatives to know. When my family visiting a small church w/ my grandfather doubled their attendance, it was SMALL!!! For example, drive thru West Tawakoni on a Sunday and you will see more cars at the local bars and beer stores than you will see at the small handful of churches.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 AM

Thanks everyone. I am going to look into the areas northwest of Austin and west of Fort Worth (far west, like Abilene). Any other suggestions would be great.

As for the term "yankified," I would consider this to be an area (mostly larger cities) that have been affected by a hugh influx in folks from the north. The area were I live in the Carolinas has been affected by this and it has really changed our way of life - you don't even hear the southern accent in the younger generation anymore. Please no offense to anyone!

So the panhandle would be a good area, huh? What about Lubbock? Abilene? What type of industries are in those areas to work for?

Old 01-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Looking View Post
Thanks everyone. I am going to look into the areas northwest of Austin and west of Fort Worth (far west, like Abilene). Any other suggestions would be great.

As for the term "yankified," I would consider this to be an area (mostly larger cities) that have been affected by a hugh influx in folks from the north. The area were I live in the Carolinas has been affected by this and it has really changed our way of life - you don't even hear the southern accent in the younger generation anymore. Please no offense to anyone!

So the panhandle would be a good area, huh? What about Lubbock? Abilene? What type of industries are in those areas to work for?
Then don't come to Dallas. LOL!!! For the most part it has been changed due to the large influx of people moving here. I live in an area/suburb that has not (we are not the "IT" place to move, THANK GOD, lol) and still have plenty of natives and people from other areas of the south around me. But in the "HOT" and all the "IT" areas, traffic congestion, etc.

Austin huh, it has also seen a large influx of people from other states. I'd say they are more in the burbs going north than they are IN Austin.

Lubbock, they have Texas Tech University. What kind of industry are you looking in?

Be warned though, most places in Texas do not offer "Sweet Tea" . A few of the mom & pop, individually owned home cookin places do but not your other places. I make it at home though . Chick-Fil-A has some GREAT sweet tea that has almost become my daily fix. Some people need Starbucks, I just need my Sweet Tea.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 7,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Looking View Post
Hey everyone,

I am moving to Texas sometime this year and am trying to find out which Texas small towns and / or large cities have NOT been "yankified" yet. After visiting Texas several times this past year, Austin, San Antonio and the suburbs, I think these are nice areas. Only problem is, I do not know which cities and towns have been yankified yet. I would like to move to Texas to enjoy the native Texans and experience their culture. Can anyone help? Ideally, I do not mind the heat and would like to have some freezing temps in the winter if that helps. I know that north Texas has some freezing rain in the weather and hot summers and this would be fine for me.

Please help!
Hello,
I live in a small community, Granbury which is 35 miles sw of Ft. Worth (I'm also a realtor). Granbury has definitely NOT been yankified. It has a square with old stone buildings, the city surrounds Lake Granbury. The city is growing but has not lost its character. Recently, an article about Granbury appeared in the magazine, "Where to Retire", September/October, 2006 issue. I can send you a copy of the 8 page article if you like...let me know your mailing address.
Granbury is without a doubt one of the most enjoyable, small communities in Texas. Yet, driving 35 miles takes you to "the big city."
Hope to hear from you...if for no other reason to share the article with you. It does get hot here; however, right now it is 29 degrees outside.
Ray Cook

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 01-16-2007 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Realtor Advertising is Not Allowed

Old 01-16-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Then don't come to Dallas. LOL!!! For the most part it has been changed due to the large influx of people moving here. I live in an area/suburb that has not (we are not the "IT" place to move, THANK GOD, lol) and still have plenty of natives and people from other areas of the south around me. But in the "HOT" and all the "IT" areas, traffic congestion, etc.

Austin huh, it has also seen a large influx of people from other states. I'd say they are more in the burbs going north than they are IN Austin.

Lubbock, they have Texas Tech University. What kind of industry are you looking in?

Be warned though, most places in Texas do not offer "Sweet Tea" . A few of the mom & pop, individually owned home cookin places do but not your other places. I make it at home though . Chick-Fil-A has some GREAT sweet tea that has almost become my daily fix. Some people need Starbucks, I just need my Sweet Tea.
Ha ha ha..."sweet tea." That is the only thing that I will miss VERY much so. I actually had sweet tea in San Antonio and was very suprised.

As for industry, I am looking for manufacturing or construction. I am an engineer in the automotive industry, but would like to change careers - maybe something in construction.

What suburb of Dallas if you don't mind me asking? What about Abilene or Lubbock? What type of people are situated there?

Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 PM

I'm in the Garland area of Dallas. Home of Babe's Chicken Dinner house . They have sorghum too.

Lubbock, well, it is a college town mostly and everything pretty much revolves around it. There is some industry but not much.

Abilene, home of Abilene Christian University. One of our friends daughters is there and wanted to transfer but she was told "NO" by her dad. Not a whole lot to do but home to LOTS of churches. Not a big "industry" town either. A little but not much. More in Lubbock or Amarillo. All of these are going to be MUCH colder than it ever is in the Dallas metroplex. They have a longer winter also and more snow. Dust storms are another factor to deal with. There are people that love all three of these. Amarillo is going to have a lot more industry than the other two as far as manufacturing and construction.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'm in the Garland area of Dallas. Home of Babe's Chicken Dinner house . They have sorghum too.

Lubbock, well, it is a college town mostly and everything pretty much revolves around it. There is some industry but not much.

Abilene, home of Abilene Christian University. One of our friends daughters is there and wanted to transfer but she was told "NO" by her dad. Not a whole lot to do but home to LOTS of churches. Not a big "industry" town either. A little but not much. More in Lubbock or Amarillo. All of these are going to be MUCH colder than it ever is in the Dallas metroplex. They have a longer winter also and more snow. Dust storms are another factor to deal with. There are people that love all three of these. Amarillo is going to have a lot more industry than the other two as far as manufacturing and construction.
And, what about your area...Garland? What type of industry do you have there? After visiting Austin several times, I get the feeling that it is just a cheaper place for the Californians to live (a lot of IT people from silicone valley there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas