Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texans and Our Steak!
Club Steak 0 0%
Filet Strip 6 10.53%
Porterhouse Steak 9 15.79%
Rib Steak 9 15.79%
Shell/Strip Steak 2 3.51%
Sirloin Steak 11 19.30%
T-Bone Steak 11 19.30%
Tenderloin/Filet Mignon 22 38.60%
Very Rare 3 5.26%
Rare 4 7.02%
Medium Rare 18 31.58%
Medium 14 24.56%
Medium Well Done 10 17.54%
Well Done 3 5.26%
Very Well Done 1 1.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:27 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times

Advertisements

not a fan of chain restaurants, but this is one of the better...and the Silver Spur Filet is the unanimous favorite when all of my coworkers get together there for dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
I think the best steak in a chain is Texas Land and Cattle. I don't remember the name on the menu....but it's strips of steak that are smoked. YUMMY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,231 times
Those smoked sirloin strips at Texas Land and Cattle are my favorites at a chain. My favorite steak house, other than the chains, in good old Abilene is Lytle Land and Cattle Company. Their rib eye is the best! Prices, however, have gone up to the point that I have to enjoy them less frequently than I would like. Other good steaks in the area (besides the chains) are available at The Bee Hive, both in Abilene and Albany, and at Perini's in Buffalo Gap.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 AM

714 posts, read 2,931,626 times
Have you noticed that the Texas topic on the City-Data Forum always talks about food?

I am not a big fan of chain steakhouses or BBQ, but the steakhouses are usually are consistant. Texas Roadhouse is my favorite amoung the chains.

But for non-chain steakhouses, I like Noreta's in Santa Anna, Coldwater Creek in Coleman, Lytle Land and Cattle Company in Abilene and Her's Restaurant in Rochester TX. It is hard for me to have a top favorite among those.

I need to try the Bee Hive next time I am in Abilene.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 AM

160 posts, read 638,245 times
No prime rib, so I had to go with the fillet. Sirloins are up there, too. All three tie for my first choice. It boils down to a matter of what I want on that particular day, flavor, tender, or a good combination of both.

And it better beller at me and shoot blood in my eye when I stab it with my fork.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Thanks TEXASREB for getting this posted. You Rock!
Welll, thank you, buddy. But only to the classic oldies of the 60's and early to mid 70's!

BTW -- I notice we are being called to account for not including prime rib! LOL

Old 07-09-2008, 12:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times
Am I the only one who likes a good T-bone from time to time? My husband usually grills them. I haven't been to any steak places since I've been back in Texas, but a cousin of mine likes Texas Land and Cattle. But, so far, my husband's have been really good. He changes the marinade around too, so we don't always have the same flavor over and over. I like mine medium well, only a very little pink inside. My husband likes them like GoingHome2TX does

Old 07-09-2008, 12:26 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Am I the only one who likes a good T-bone from time to time? My husband usually grills
After viewing this yesterday I was DYING for a good steak. Hubby did not want Texas Roadhouse so we went to SaltGrass. On their menu they call the T-Bone the "Great Steak of Texas".

I went w/ my usual, Maudeen's Filet medium. Could have stood it a bit more rare. I LOVE how they season their steaks. Just enough to bring out the flavor w/o overkilling it.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM

160 posts, read 638,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
It is ok, you're native, all is forgiven! My official answer is that it depends anyway, so I picked one of the other two choices.

Besides, I'd rather eat the nastiest, toughest (T-Bone, in my opinion) part of Texan Beef than the best part of any Yankee cow.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,947,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Welll, thank you, buddy. But only to the classic oldies of the 60's and early to mid 70's!

Its there its represented by the choice RIB. Prime is just a better cut from the same area.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post

And it better beller at me and shoot blood in my eye when I stab it with my fork.
LOL I am one of those Texans who likes mine done longer than most. There used to be a sorta joke among friends of mine when we would all get together for a weekend trip to the lake or whatver that, right after breakfast, somebody would say something like, "Well, we better get Randy's steak on the grill now so it will be ready in time for supper tonight."

Very funny...Har de har har!

But yeah, there was a lot to that. I used to like mine VERY well done. Hell, when we would go to steakhouses, I would tell them to NOT worry about overcooking it. I wanted it just short of burned and if it didn't need a a hammer and chisel, then take it back to the grill. Well, that is a bit of an exageration, but not by just a hell of a lot! LOL

Friends would tell me, man, you truly miss out on the best part of a steak if you don't have the natural juices. To which I would reply "That is what A-1 steak sauce is for.."

Anyway, one time a friend practically begged me to at least TRY eating a steak that wasn't burned beyond recognition. Because he and his wife had bought the steaks, I was their guest, and was hungry enough to agree to almost anything, I did so.

And...welllll, dammed if maybe there really WASN'T something to what folks and family had been saying all these years 'bout the natural juices and all!

To wrap it up, unlike GH2T and LoveRoses hubby, I still want mine dead and not mooing...but I HAVE evolved to the point that I go with medium well. And for me, that really was a change!

I still keep A-1 handy though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas