Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texans and Our Steak!
Club Steak 0 0%
Filet Strip 6 10.53%
Porterhouse Steak 9 15.79%
Rib Steak 9 15.79%
Shell/Strip Steak 2 3.51%
Sirloin Steak 11 19.30%
T-Bone Steak 11 19.30%
Tenderloin/Filet Mignon 22 38.60%
Very Rare 3 5.26%
Rare 4 7.02%
Medium Rare 18 31.58%
Medium 14 24.56%
Medium Well Done 10 17.54%
Well Done 3 5.26%
Very Well Done 1 1.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

I have a confession to make, y'all. Yeah...as if it hasn't already been caught and me taken to task because of it.

*AHEM* To wit, "steak" being left off the original list of what should be the main Texas state food!

Ok...Muhnay and I have collaborated a bit to come up with a seperate poll on what fellow Texans will list as: (1). Best cut of steak and, (2). The way you prefer it cooked!

It is a multiple choice poll, so remember to vote on both the cut and the preferred degree of cooking!

Just in case, here is the list Muhnay provided as to cuts, followed by one I am "pasting" as to the extent of cooking:

Club Steak: Sometimes called Delmonico, after the famed 19th century New York dining club that specialized in this steak, the club steak is triangular, smaller than a T-bone, but with the same large "eye" section. It is cut from the short loin, next to the rib end, and when cut properly, it is a delicious and tender steak. You can tell the quality by looking at the steak's "eye"--the meat should be fine in texture with delicate marbling; avoid cuts that seem coarse or contain fat chunks.

Filet Strip: Filet strips are removed from the short loin before any other steaks are cut. A whole filet strip can be broiled and then cut into individual portions, or covered with pastry and baked, as in Beef Wellington. The tenderloin is the most tender of all steaks. But no matter how delicious and tender, some find the texture too soft.

Porterhouse Steak: This is one of the most popular steak cuts, perhaps because it has a generous section of tenderloin. The porterhouse got its moniker when it was first served in the drinking houses where porter, ale, and stout were featured. A large, flavorful steak cut from the short loin, nearest the sirloin. Fine-grained with a characteristic portion of fat, it is usually cut from 1 1/4" to 3" thick. The tenderloin portion can be removed and served separately as a filet mignon.

Rib Steak: This is similar in appearance to club steak and is sometimes sold as such, even though it is less tender and more fatty. Rib steaks have an excellent flavor and, of course, come from the rib section. This cut is often sold in kosher meat shops.

Shell Steak, or Strip Steak: When the tenderloin strip has been removed from the short loin, the remaining meat is known as a shell steak. Shell steaks are called by a variety of names, such as strip, New York strip and Kansas City strip. Ideal for one person, these steaks can be cut in any thickness you wish, usually from 1 to 2 1/2 inches. Lobel's Prime Meats often remove the bone for their customers so the steak can be easily sliced on the diagonal.

Sirloin Steak: The sirloin is a large steak, which makes it suitable for families or parties. Usually cut from 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" thick, with a small amount of wedge bone. Sirloins vary in shape and bone size. Sirloins come in the pin-bone or hip-bone, flat-bone, and round-bone varieties; the bone adds flavor to the meat. These can be cut from 1" to 3" thick. Any sirloin steak is tender, delicious, and excellent when broiled in the oven or barbecued. The thinner cuts may be pan-broiled. Sirloin Tip Steak or Boneless Sirloin: This cut comes from the bottom tip of the sirloin section. It is less tender than the sirloins with bones, but it has a delicious flavor. Lobel's Prime Meats usually cuts it about 2 inches thick and suggest that it be braised for a half hour.

T-Bone Steak: This steak is easily identified by its T-shape bone. It comes from the center section of the short loin, between the porterhouse and club. Similar to the porterhouse, but with a smaller section of tenderloin and a smaller tail, with a fine-grained shell. Should be cut from 1 to 3 inches thick. Broiling is the best cooking method, pan-broiling for thinner cuts.

Tenderloin Steak or Filet Mignon: The popular name for this steak is filet mignon.

Raw - Uncooked.

Very rare - (37.8°C/100°F core temp) Cooked very quickly; the outside is seared, but the inside is usually cool and barely cooked. The steak will be red on the inside and barely warmed. Sometimes asked for as 'blood rare'. In the United States this is also sometimes referred to as 'Black and Blue' or 'Pittsburgh Rare'.

Rare - (48.9°C/120°F core temp) The outside is gray-brown, and the middle of the steak is red and slightly warm.

Rare plus - The outside is gray-brown, and the middle of the steak is mostly red and warm, with some pink. Often ordered by those who prefer medium rare and don't mind rare but worry about overcooking towards medium.

Medium rare - (52.2°C/126°F degrees core temp) The steak will have a fully red, warm center. Unless specified otherwise, upscale steakhouses will generally cook to at least this level.

Medium - (57.2°C/135°F degrees core temp) The middle of the steak is hot and red with pink surrounding the center. The outside is gray-brown.

Medium well done - (62.8°C/145°F degrees core temp) The meat is light pink surrounding the center.

Well done - (73.9°C/160°F degrees core temp) The meat is gray-brown throughout and slightly charred.

Very Well done - The meat is almost blackened

Go for it, y'all!

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-08-2008 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
YUM!

Tenderloin/Filet Mignon
Medium to Medium Rare

HOWEVER, Texas Roadhouse has an early bird dinner special and the only steak on it is a 6oz Sirloin. It might as well be billed a "tenderloin" or "filet" as it looks and tastes just like one. I'm not kidding either. I don't even bothering ordering a filet anymore at TR as their sirloin is pretty darn good and better than filet's at most other steakhouses.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
YUM!

Tenderloin/Filet Mignon
Medium to Medium Rare

HOWEVER, Texas Roadhouse has an early bird dinner special and the only steak on it is a 6oz Sirloin. It might as well be billed a "tenderloin" or "filet" as it looks and tastes just like one. I'm not kidding either. I don't even bothering ordering a filet anymore at TR as their sirloin is pretty darn good and better than filet's at most other steakhouses.
I second the motion on the cut and doneness.

That surprises me about Texas Roadhouse...I'll remember that the next time I go!!

Old 07-08-2008, 04:29 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Default Saltgrass.......And Others

You can just call me "Mister Saltgrass". That's because Saltgrass has become my favorite steak in the last several years. Their steak is right every time, and their meat selections are excellent, including one that isn't on the menu, but is offered. That would be the 23-ounce bone-in ribeye. If it's available and you've got a big appetite, you need to try it. These guys never make anything bad; everything they make is delicious. I love a loaded baked potato and Saltgrass does it up well. And they have the freshest salad ever. But back to steaks now. My favorite cuts overall are ribeye, T-bone, sirloin, and tenderloin. How I like mine?? Medium.

Here are some of my other favorites for steak:

Trail Dust - My previous sentimental favorite for lots of years. They have a few locations still open in the Dallas area, but their steaks have a tremendous mesquite flavor. A great side there is their country beans, full of Texas flavor. And in years past, I always hoped I could get a real good-looking waitress when I'm there, but that's another thread.

Cattleman's El Paso at Indian Cliffs - This place is a real favorite when I'm in Far West Texas. Wonderful flavor and always a great-looking cut of beef. This is real West Texas food.

The Big Texan Steak Ranch - I don't have to tell you about the 72-ounce steak that's free if eaten along with all the sides in an hour. By the way, I've never had that. But they have great cuts of meat and you do get to watch their team cook what I consider Amarillo's finest.

And I have one that's about to become a fine dining favorite, but can't go to very often, and that's...

Randy's Steakhouse - It's a Frisco tradition, and I've only made one visit there, but am dreaming about my second visit there. The steaks and sides are worth the expense.

And I tried Taste of Texas in Houston a couple of years ago. It came out sizzling and had a good flavor. I remember the friendly service (maybe too friendly), but I'll try to get back again.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:16 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Saltgrass is good, but Perry's is in a league of it's own. If you can't be overcome by the pork chop, then the call is for filet, rare. If anyone votes for a good steak more than medium, the shouldn't be allowed to have anything better than a sirloin.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
OMG you forgot the PRIME RIB....

Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 PM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
I think the best steak in a chain is Texas Land and Cattle. I don't remember the name on the menu....but it's strips of steak that are smoked. YUMMY!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times
Del Frisco's in Fort Worth. 12 ounce porter house.

Enough said. Bring your wallet but it is worth every cent. Ask for the scalloped potatoes as a side dish. You'll need a nap after that meal.

I also like TLAC.

Willie's Roadhouse in Lubbock was pretty damn good.

Sullivan's in Austin is good but way too pricy. Which sends me back to Del Frisco's in Fort Worth.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,544 times
Say what you want but, for those in the know, Pappas had taken the Texas Gold Medal despite only being in the business for a short while. Yeh, they are No. 1 and all those others are scrambling for runner-up.

What it is about this family and them being able to just step into something new (for them, steaks) and knock over the competition after only a couple of years, that's remarkable.

Any way, I'll let you know who is No. 2 now. So, for now. PAPPAS - No. 1 in Texas.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Thanks TEXASREB for getting this posted. You Rock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas