U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2009, 11:03 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,867,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Don't fool yourself, if Texans truly cared about CA, they'd be there.
Compare the number of California threads on the Texas forum to the number of Texas threads on the California forum.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 PM

684 posts, read 1,408,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Well, is this really all so surprising? Even though most of their comments are always negative about California, it seems like they always use it as a comparison or measuring rod. Interesting....

I think you're right for the most part. Most Californians just don't care that much. We all realize that California has problems, but so does Texas, although the problems are of a somewhat different nature. Every place has problems. The key is, for each person, to find the place that suits him/her best.

I wouldn't want to live in Texas, but then many other people may find it desirable for whatever reasons they have. MissDaisy obviously experienced some ill-fortune in her life and blames California for it. Here's to hoping that she finds what she's looking for in Texas.
MissDaisy actually has been VERY VERY successful in CA, but chooses to relocate in part due to "political, moral, and just plain common sense irreconcilable differences" ...

...sorry to burst your bubble...

Old 06-24-2009, 11:26 PM

15,831 posts, read 20,000,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
Compare the number of California threads on the Texas forum to the number of Texas threads on the California forum.
and most of them would probably be Californians looking to move to Texas The move in rates speak for themselves.....

Old 06-24-2009, 11:29 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,042,042 times
Quote:
Yes, but both states are also completely unable to function without them. I cannot tell you how many people I meet in a professional capacity in Dallas or Houston who depend on their Hispanic "help" for the house and the kids, some of whom are NOT in the US legally.

The same is true here in San Diego.
If they all left tomorrow, we'd all be just fine and dandy ... the illegals that is.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 PM

188 posts, read 327,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy
I love Texas but every time I visit Cali an come back I Truly get depressed when I see how badly in shape the states compare. This is being said even when I go visit I stay in Pico Rivera which what I heard of a bad place in the LA area but I can honestly compare it with some nice areas in the northside of SA.
I agree. The only thing I'm not liking about California is how rampant the crime is in some areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
snip
No offense, but after reading your post it seems like you would be the type who would say something like 'Alright, I'm in! Now close the gate!' that Texans, quite frankly, would find rather obnoxious.

I'm glad you found the better things in Texas, but it's irrational, panicky attitudes like that aren't helping our economic situation and are giving Californians bad names back in Texas (as well as other western states).

And how on Earth are you able to be so quick to pride yourself in being a Texan when you haven't even left yet, and the place you're really familiar with is the Bay Area? So much for any sort of loyalty or dignity...

Anyway, I am currently out here in California for business (though, not permanently), and I am appreciating what California has to offer. Things in California are bad, but it appears to be some hope for it (albeit not really much). I must stress that things are a whole lot worse in Ohio and Michigan at the moment. So, we should give them our blessings.

Back on topic, Texas and California are two completely different flavors of ice cream, but there are more similarities (subtle and dramatic) between them than people want to give credit to.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 PM

TXperson, there is nothing wrong with someone being excited about moving to another state and becoming a New Yorker, Texan, Californian, et al. I know a lady who just moved from TX to WV and is pleased to say she is now a West Virginian. She's originally from Ohio.

Pride is a very unattractive trait, and I would consider the OP to be pleased and happy she is moving from a state she has had enough of and wants to be a part of another. I don't think she's boasting and exhibiting pride. What does loyalty or dignity have to do with a state? A state has no feelings, no heartbeat, no anything.

When I moved to Texas from California, I didn't think a thing about it. All the states are part of the country. If Miss Daisy wants to be a Texan, that's good for her. What's obnoxious about thinking, "Okay, I'm in." She can be what she chooses to be and all you Texans should be pleased she's so fond of this state because many surely have a hard time feeling that strongly about it, natives included. But then again, is it the state or the state's people from whence the problems arise?

This state isn't bad and either is California. Again, it's the people who really make a state what it is. Take all of us away and every state will get along just fine with one another. The prairies, mountains, oceans, forests, and valleys will never argue, but compliment each other...the way God intended.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:02 AM

684 posts, read 1,408,845 times
Thanks, Canine*Castle...

I think that I will now begin happily packing for the next chapter of our lives....cuz we have so much to look forward to!!!

...And will leave the debates for those who have time on their hands....we are of course, very busy right now!!! No time to waste!!!

..as a side note...my fuzzy kids send YOUR fuzzy kids good vibes and happy thoughts....

Old 06-25-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
Thanks, Canine*Castle...

I think that I will now begin happily packing for the next chapter of our lives....cuz we have so much to look forward to!!!

...And will leave the debates for those who have time on their hands....we are of course, very busy right now!!! No time to waste!!!

..as a side note...my fuzzy kids send YOUR fuzzy kids good vibes and happy thoughts....
Many woofs to your fuzzy ones from mine.

Yes, you have quite a few chores ahead of you, but it's very exciting.

Keep us posted when time allows.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 AM

188 posts, read 327,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
TXperson, there is nothing wrong with someone being excited about moving to another state and becoming a New Yorker, Texan, Californian, et al. I know a lady who just moved from TX to WV and is pleased to say she is now a West Virginian. She's originally from Ohio.

Pride is a very unattractive trait, and I would consider the OP to be pleased and happy she is moving from a state she has had enough of and wants to be a part of another. I don't think she's boasting and exhibiting pride. What does loyalty or dignity have to do with a state? A state has no feelings, no heartbeat, no anything.
I suppose you're right. I apologize if it came out wrong. But to me, being so quick to claim another ship before you have the chance to board it sounds almost like mutiny to me. There's nothing wrong with being excited, but being so premature about it makes me wonder if the person doesn't appreciate what she already has.

It would bother me some if she were to be so quick to dump Texas if it didn't suit her tastes.

I guess this is where people would insert a 'The grass may or may not be greener...' analogy. I don't know.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 AM

50,101 posts, read 42,518,372 times
Quote:
Well, is this really all so surprising? Even though most of their comments are always negative about California, it seems like they always use it as a comparison or measuring rod. Interesting....

I think you're right for the most part. Most Californians just don't care that much. We all realize that California has problems, but so does Texas, although the problems are of a somewhat different nature. Every place has problems. The key is, for each person, to find the place that suits him/her best.

I wouldn't want to live in Texas, but then many other people may find it desirable for whatever reasons they have. MissDaisy obviously experienced some ill-fortune in her life and blames California for it. Here's to hoping that she finds what she's looking for in Texas.
what would make you say she has had some ill-fortune? I haven't read all she has written but what I have read doesn't indicate that to me. I think she just wanted a life that California could not give her. Many people are leaving California because of the problems. Of course Texas has problems, and of course no place is utopia, but right now California has more than most states. Add to that the state has changed so much in the past 20 or so years, even friends and family we have still living there say, it is so sad.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas