U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2009, 10:02 PM

5,031 posts, read 7,711,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Here are some definitions of pride you left out:

A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.

Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession, or association.
I think if you will do a little research, you will find that pride and self-respect are often mistaken for one another. There is a tremendous difference between the two. Pride is a manifestation of the ego and defined as satisfaction with one's self.

Self-respect is defined as belief of one's own worth and integrity. Contrary to pride, self respect serves our soul.

I believe dignity or value pretty much go hand in hand with self-respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:31 PM

684 posts, read 1,362,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
We all, in every state, act poorly at times and I guess we all have our reasons as to why we're that way.

I didn't make it to church today because I was stricken at 4:30 a.m. with a migraine. I hate those things.

I am leaving shortly to see a dear friend who is dying from cancer. He doesn't have much longer with us, and I'm devastated. His children will be there, and I hate it for them. We all watched their mom die of cancer 12 years ago. She was my very best native Texas friend, and I miss her dearly. She and I were two peas in a pod.
My DH gets migraines, and it is debilitating for him....I hope you feel better...

I lost 2 good friends within the last 6 months to cancer It breaks your heart to the core....my thoughts and prayers are with you..

...forget about this stuff on this forum for the moment...you have people who need your support..and you need support yourself...

take care of YOU please Canine*Castle!!!

..the drama will be waiting when you return...guaranteed....

Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 AM

27,812 posts, read 22,332,962 times
Quote:
I think if you will do a little research, you will find that pride and self-respect are often mistaken for one another. .

Um...that's the definition in the dictionary.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:31 AM

8,624 posts, read 15,823,774 times
Sorry to hear about your friend Canine*Castle.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:44 AM

9,011 posts, read 9,420,194 times
Quote:

"Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession, or association." is not the same as bragging. One can take satisfaction in his or her accomplishments without feeling the need to inform everyone else of them.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:53 AM

27,812 posts, read 22,332,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
"Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession, or association." is not the same as bragging. One can take satisfaction in his or her accomplishments without feeling the need to inform everyone else of them.
Exactly.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
My DH gets migraines, and it is debilitating for him....I hope you feel better...

I lost 2 good friends within the last 6 months to cancer It breaks your heart to the core....my thoughts and prayers are with you..

...forget about this stuff on this forum for the moment...you have people who need your support..and you need support yourself...

take care of YOU please Canine*Castle!!!

..the drama will be waiting when you return...guaranteed....
Thanks so much for your kind wishes regarding my friend and the migraine. It's much better today. It dulled by late afternoon yesterday, and that's always a good sign.

I just finished crying my eyes out over my friend's condition. I controlled it well yesterday albeit while talking with his two daughters, we all shed quiet, if you will, tears. My son and their youngest brother were best friends while growing up...actually we were all neighbors for a while. They lost their oldest brother in 1980. He was 16 and electrocuted while putting up a CB antenna on top of their roof. Talk about heartbreak. I don't know how some people hold up with such tragedy in their lives.

If it weren't so bloomin' hot, I'd be outside exercising and working in the yard as a stress reliever. I thought getting up very early might help but when I stuck my head outside, I decided it wasn't worth risking some kind of heat-related illness.

I put myself in the middle of all the silliness on the forums. I have no one to blame but myself. For the life of me, I don't understand why. My guy friend, a native Texan and a wonderful and totally different that what I consider a typical Texan, basically told me I was silly for falling into such a ridiculous trap. Believe it or not, he is so not Texan, I don't know how he did it. LOL!!! I love that guy.

I trust the chore albeit excitement is coming along quite well.

To stay on topic, I will say that right now, my old city (Burbank) in CA is somewhat like Texas. It's pretty warm out there right now, but not nearly as bad as it is here. My friends are complaining though.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 06-29-2009 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
If you so desire, there is much to read on the internet about pride, so without further ado, let's just say there is a very thin line between being proud and being boastful and conceited.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Sorry to hear about your friend Canine*Castle.
Thank you for your kindness.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:11 PM

9,011 posts, read 9,420,194 times
Quote:
If you so desire, there is much to read on the internet about pride, so without further ado, let's just say there is a very thin line between being proud and being boastful and conceited.
They are just belaboring that point with the intent to distract from the obvious...that Texans love to talk about Texas. Everyone knows it including Texans but they can't admit it that so they argue these silly points about pride vs. boasting or they assail people like myself who raise this point. Nonetheless, should any of us be suprised. Did we expect proud Texans to acknowledge their faults....never! Praise Momo...bless her heart, she is a housewife with 2 kids who sacrafices her time to spend all day defending the great state of Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas