U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2009, 01:34 PM

50,068 posts, read 42,427,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Wow. I don't know where in California you think you will find all the good things in life - but I'm quite sure it will not meet your expectations.

Most of all - the entire state is broke. Maybe in SA the symphony doesn't have enough money. Maybe that is because not enough people in SA care enough about it to pay the taxes necessary. In California they vote to spend tons of money on nearly everything. Yet they can't pay their bills, their public schools are much worse, and their problems reach from the top to bottom of government.

California's "tolerance" is overrated in my opinion. Even San Francisco is shockingly intolerant. If you believe Berkeley does things well then San Fran will like you. If not - you're not really welcome.

Asians in many other Texas cities are well represented throughout society by virtue of their job skills. In Austin we have many Asians working in technology. Houston has a strong Asian community. What about Japanese in San Antonio working with Toyota?

Religious hypocrites are everywhere in the USA.

As for violence - where do you think organized crime from South America is the strongest? Southern California.

And finally - do you have the money to live a reasonable life in California? That $150 per sq. ft house in San Antonio will cost you $450 per sq. ft. in San Jose. Or $800 per sq. ft. in Palo Alto.
Great points, I hope Patty does let us know where and when she is moving. It always amazes me when people think the grass will be greener on the other side. In many cases it is, but too often reality doesn't sink in until it is too late. the most intolerant people when it comes to accepting Mexicans, I know are some, including some of my friends I will add, who live in Southern California. They just see too many illegals.

Knowing what I do, from living in both states for many years, I would take Texas over California anytime. There are lots of wonderful things about California, I was born there, when we return for visits I get a fuzzy feeling about some things, but I would never live there again.

Nita
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:19 PM

16,007 posts, read 26,131,524 times
Yeah in San Francisco I have gotten comments like? "Are you from somewhere SOOOOUTHERN?"

And I overheard "he must be from Dallas or Iowa or somewhere"

Then you get the anti-Bush, anti-right wing, religious-nut stuff thrown at you before they even stop to find out what your politics are -- and why do they need to know in the first place?

If you are white and from Texas they also assume you are racist - in fact, some will test you out, looking for an opening to tongue-lash you.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:15 PM

817 posts, read 1,005,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyloving View Post
I am a native Texan. We are moving to California. Things I hope to escape
Good luck with that in California despite their strong liberal policy that screwed up their state.

Quote:
The blatant racism I have been exposed to my entire life. I am of Mexican decent, married to an anglo and have in the past 10 years of marriage heard more anti mexican remarks, then a mexican should ever be expected to tolerate. It's like if you don't like Mexicans, don't live in the most mexican part of Texas. Don't even get me started on black people. The racial divide in San Antonio is huge. Asians, they are only in nail salons and restaurants. That sounds horrible, but it is true. Ignorant, sexist, snuff chewing rednecks -- they are everywhere! BUT they will hold the door open for a lady.
There are racist people in every culture. You exaggerate way too much. Whites southern states tolerant other cultures than Northern and West today.

Quote:
Violence - San Antonio is near the border, the mexican mafia is alive and well and the drug trade is strong here.
It's true but it is no where near California and they got far more prisoners from Latin America countries especially El Salvador. Not just that California has more people but in percentage, it is crazy.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:18 PM

8,981 posts, read 15,662,308 times
I don't see any similarities. Sorry. Maybe only with Sonoma County native and Native Texans. But really, that's it.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:30 PM

1,043 posts, read 863,266 times
hey, I love Texas and im a born and raised Californian

In fact the only two states I'd probably live in would be california and texas. I do remember the cali vs texas arguments we'd have in college though... fun stuff

personally i think they are both the best states in the US... hands down... and Ill even give a slight edge to Texas for its better political side

Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 PM

4,608 posts, read 5,089,337 times
LOL... well, the thread certainly got it's responses. I'd just add that Texas and California are no more alike than are the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, or North and South Poles. Or the Gulf of California and the Gulf of Mexico.

Nice try tho'.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:11 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,272,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyloving View Post
I am a native Texan. We are moving to California. Things I hope to escape

The blatant racism I have been exposed to my entire life. I am of Mexican decent, married to an anglo and have in the past 10 years of marriage heard more anti mexican remarks, then a mexican should ever be expected to tolerate. It's like if you don't like Mexicans, don't live in the most mexican part of Texas. Don't even get me started on black people. The racial divide in San Antonio is huge. Asians, they are only in nail salons and restaurants. That sounds horrible, but it is true. Ignorant, sexist, snuff chewing rednecks -- they are everywhere! BUT they will hold the door open for a lady.

Violence - San Antonio is near the border, the mexican mafia is alive and well and the drug trade is strong here.

Close mindedness -- many close minded people here in SA. Close minded about many things, religion, politics, homosexuality.

The arts in San Antonio have no support -- The symphony is always broke

There is one culture here, hispanic. I want to experience more than just that.

There is one food here, Mexican, well, steak too !

There are four churches around the corner from my house and many, many religious hypocrites. I know a lady who puts her wine in a to go cup in public so no one from church knows she is having a drink. GAG !!!

People are friendly on the surface, but under that facade people are concerned that you are from the right religion and race

People are very showy with their money and things -- it is comical

Can't wait for a change in lifestyle
Have you considered a different metro area within the state of Texas? I just hate to see a native Texan coming to CA to escape all the things listed here, when a change of scenery within Texas might be all you need. Racism against Mexicans is definitely prevalent, and I have never experienced diversity here the way I did in Dallas. But if you're looking for people who aren't friendly on the surface, I'm sure you'll find a large selection of them here . Luckily, there are a few of us originally from Texas who will do our best to make your stay a pleasant one....until you miss Texas so badly that you can't pack up that truck fast enough. Oh....and seriously....."showy with their money and things" is like California's state motto!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,999,911 times
WOW....someone leaving Texas for CA....what a grave mistake. That's okay...we can trade places!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:57 AM

50,068 posts, read 42,427,133 times
I have noticed Patty didn't come back to let us know where in Calif she was moving, when and why? Again, I hope she knows what she is doing cause I don't think Ca is what she is picturing it to be...Of course I guess it depends on where she will be living.

Nita

Old 06-17-2009, 05:14 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,200,882 times
I would like to add some photos to defend Texas beauty and distinctiveness:

Presideo San Saba in Menard:

Wind Power in North Central Texas:

On the set of Giant, Marfa, TX

Presidio, TX:

West Texas movie set:

Near the Rio Grande River:

a restaurant in Kemah, TX:

Galveston, TX:

San Antonio Riverwalk:

Hamilton Pool:

Edge Falls, Kendall County:

all photos by author, please feel free to add others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas