Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 03:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyloving View Post
I am a native Texan. We are moving to California. Things I hope to escape

The racial divide in San Antonio is huge. Asians, they are only in nail salons and restaurants. That sounds horrible, but it is true. Ignorant, sexist, snuff chewing rednecks -- they are everywhere! BUT they will hold the door open for a lady.
San Antonio isn't exactly known for having a huge Asian population like Houston is.

Quote:
There is one culture here, hispanic. I want to experience more than just that.
News Flash: You do live in San Antonio, not Dallas or Houston. Diversity is not going to be as abundant. SA is predominantly a Hispanic & White city for the most part. Even Austin is more diverse than San Antonio is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
San Antonio isn't exactly known for having a huge Asian population like Houston is.

News Flash: You do live in San Antonio, not Dallas or Houston. Diversity is not going to be as abundant. SA is predominantly a Hispanic & White city for the most part. Even Austin is more diverse than San Antonio is.
Metro, I agree with you and Patty hasn't been back to tell us where and when she is moving. I wish her luck.

Nita

Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Yep...you do hear "y'all" a lot in California...in SoCal, so the NorCal/SoCal fued isn't the issue. I think deep down Californians WANT to be Texans. *lol*
...I know I do!!!

...and as some of you know...not "deep down" either...

Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,692 times
Quote:
Ignorant, sexist, snuff chewing rednecks -- they are everywhere! BUT they will hold the door open for a lady.
You sound ignorant yourself because your stereotyping the Rednecks big time.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:07 AM

122 posts, read 507,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I would like to add some photos to defend Texas beauty and distinctiveness:

Presideo San Saba in Menard:

Wind Power in North Central Texas:

On the set of Giant, Marfa, TX

Presidio, TX:

West Texas movie set:

Near the Rio Grande River:

a restaurant in Kemah, TX:

Galveston, TX:

San Antonio Riverwalk:

Hamilton Pool:

Edge Falls, Kendall County:

all photos by author, please feel free to add others.
Boy either that poster is from California or has never left the state of Texas to see real beautiful scenery. Half those pictures were pretty darn ugly. Was that post meant to be sarcastic or was the poster actually trying to defend the beauty of Texas?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:13 AM

684 posts, read 2,109,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
You sound ignorant yourself because your stereotyping the Rednecks big time.
An0nym0us88, don't let folks get under your skin...ignorance is prolific...especially in "Arnold Schwarzenegger Land" ....believe me...I have lived here my whole life, and we are trying like hell to get to our new home, friends (new and old), and new life in Texas....WE LOVE IT THERE....our home is for sale here in CA...it is our driving force....it is what keeps our spirits up..(even though currently CA home buyers here are obviously on "controlled substances" as evidenced by their lack of economic valuation "skill sets")...but I digress...that is a subject for another thread.....

just some thoughts.......so you don't think all of us "Cali" people are a bunch of nut-jobs.....

..... I have witnessed PLENTY of ignorance, sexism, AND snuff-chewing in Northern CA...and we don't live in the "sticks" either....so the stereo-types, as most are, are myths...and believe it or not....once you get outside of San Francisco proper....boatloads of conservative Republicans...we just don't shoot our mouths off to the press...we are too busy taking care of business...
don't have time for the media s***,

.... I "survived" my (gratefully only) two year stint in Los Angeles 20+ years ago...well, those folks can keep THAT reality to themselves, thank you very much !!

... if the "good old fashioned values" of holding a door open for a lady, seems a little archaic.....or by replying "yes ma'am" to a lady seems contrived...then I embrace old fashioned values....we used to call this simply "good manners"

....It is horrific, IMHO, that California has sold it's very soul to pacify the illegal & immoral, (I TRULY do not care to be forced to acknowledge/accept/
legitimize/fund behavior that the voters of California have TURNED DOWN FOUR TIMES TO DATE...and yet they keep taking a run at us....I figure they are really trying to wear us out....but we (and our tax dollars) are outta here....like many others.....

...who will fund the parades when the $$ is gone??? So sad...so sad...
okay, I'm over it now... Whew!!

I for one, am ecstatic to become a (hopefully VERY soon) Texan...

Oh yeah...and Pattyloving.....welcome to out of the pan and into the fire!!!
(Not trying to be mean....just honest...the media is bending your mind in the really wrong direction...this is NOT utopia, on any level, by any stretch of the imagination for anyone....especially now...) With the current economic situation here, we pretty much welcome anyone who is willing to contribute, rather than drain, the remaining quarters, dimes, and nickels of our remaining threads of resources...again, not being mean, but we really don't care if a person is from Mexico, Greenland, Romania, Pluto, Venus, or WTF ever..
just don't make us taxpayers foot the bill, even more than we have been, cuz, we, as individuals, with all the recession/jobs/ (real) housing decline value stuff, are BROKE.(Hubby and I have "experienced") (the politically correct verbiage of "suffered" ) a 35 %. pay reduction ( this, of course, is non-inclusive of our propery value losses..(..the government has simply been in denial in it's admission of said situation (s)....and yet have raised our sales tax and vehicle registration taxes a couple months ago....brilliant, I am sure you will agree...they will no doubt "make it up in volume" WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA....Pull out your checkbook or explain to us dumb f***s why we should support your happy a**....don't worry, we will believe you...just need something to write down in the space marked _________________ It's all good!!!

And the westcoasters call the midwesterners "huckleberrries" ?????

Not Hubby, and I, of course.....that is apparent....

By economists predictions....Texas, even though last to "join" the recession, is expected to begin "exiting" the third quarter of this year...that would be July 09...next month...

California, on the other hand, being the trend setters that we are...entered the recession before we KNEW (acknowledged and accepted) there WAS one..and are not expected to begin OUR exit til the second quarter of 2010 (that would be April 2010, earliest...)

..Really the old accounting rule of "Last in, First Out"

And the being "showy with money and things" ....are you fricking kidding??? This is California B-A-B-Y....... We gots ourselves movie stars, rock stars, wanna be stars....we all that AND a bag of chips!!!!!

BUT, maybe your situation will be remarkably different....I hope it will be for your own life and lifestyle....

As for us...we are happily, without reservation, TEXAS BOUND.....!!!

Last edited by MissDaisy; 06-22-2009 at 03:30 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM

397 posts, read 1,025,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
An0nym0us88, don't let folks get under your skin...ignorance is prolific...especially in "Arnold Schwarzenegger Land" ....believe me...I have lived here my whole life, and we are trying like hell to get to our new home, friends (new and old), and new life in Texas....WE LOVE IT THERE....our home is for sale here in CA...it is our driving force....it is what keeps our spirits up..(even though currently CA home buyers here are obviously on "controlled substances" as evidenced by their lack of economic valuation "skill sets")...but I digress...that is a subject for another thread.....

just some thoughts.......so you don't think all of us "Cali" people are a bunch of nut-jobs.....

..... I have witnessed PLENTY of ignorance, sexism, AND snuff-chewing in Northern CA...and we don't live in the "sticks" either....so the stereo-types, as most are, are myths...and believe it or not....once you get outside of San Francisco proper....boatloads of conservative Republicans...we just don't shoot our mouths off to the press...we are too busy taking care of business...

.... I "survived" my (gratefully only) two year stint in Los Angeles 20+ years ago...well, those folks can keep THAT reality to themselves, thank you very much !!

... if the "good old fashioned values" of holding a door open for a lady, seems a little archaic.....or by replying "yes ma'am" to a lady seems contrived...then I embrace old fashioned values....we used to call this simply "good manners"

....It is horrific, IMHO, that California has sold it's very soul to pacify the illegal & immoral, (I TRULY do not care to be forced to acknowledge/accept/
legitimize/fund behavior that the voters of California have TURNED DOWN FOUR TIMES TO DATE...and yet they keep taking a run at us....I figure they are really trying to wear us out....but we (and our tax dollars) are outta here....like many others.....

(Not trying to be mean....just honest...the media is bending your mind in the really wrong direction...this is NOT utopia, on any level, by any stretch of the imagination for anyone....especially now...) With the current economic situation here, we pretty much welcome anyone who is willing to contribute, rather than drain, the remaining quarters, dimes, and nickels of our remaining threads of resources...again, not being mean, but we really don't care if a person is from Mexico, Greenland, Romania, Pluto, Venus, or WTF ever..
just don't make us taxpayers foot the bill, even more than we have been, cuz, we, as individuals, with all the recession/jobs/ (real) housing decline value stuff, are BROKE.(Hubby and I have "experienced") (the politically correct verbiage of "suffered" ) a 35 %. pay reduction ( this, of course, is non-inclusive of our propery value losses..(..the government has simply been in denial in it's admission of said situation (s)....and yet have raised our sales tax and vehicle registration taxes a couple months ago....brilliant, I am sure you will agree...they will no doubt "make it up in volume" WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA....Pull out your checkbook or explain to us dumb f***s why we should support your happy a**....don't worry, we will believe you...just need something to write down in the space marked _________________ It's all good!!!

By economists predictions....Texas, even though last to "join" the recession, is expected to begin "exiting" the third quarter of this year...that would be July 09...next month...

California, on the other hand, being the trend setters that we are...entered the recession before we KNEW (acknowledged and accepted) there WAS one..and are not expected to begin OUR exit til the second quarter of 2010 (that would be April 2010, earliest...)

And the being "showy with money and things" ....are you fricking kidding??? This is California B-A-B-Y....... We gots ourselves movie stars, rock stars, wanna be stars....we all that AND a bag of chips!!!!!

BUT, maybe your situation will be remarkably different....I hope it will be for your own life and lifestyle....

Meh....so life didn't work out well for you in California, and now you give this rather unlettered tirade.

Many of us still love California and enjoy wonderful lives here. There is no reason why the other poster may not have a very successful life here - many people do and many very successful and professional people still come to California. Even with a much less pro-business climate, it still attracts some of the best and brightest minds of the US. Of course the state has many problems to work through, but as you will soon discover, Texas is no paradise. You have never lived there. I tell the same thing to those who want to move to California without ever having spent significant time here.

From reading your social and political views, you may really adjust well to Texas, and I certainly wish you the best. Different places for different people. But to berate California because your life was not a success here, and to pretend like the other poster is jumping into the "fire" is misleading and quite frankly untrue.

Best wishes.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i have lived in both, i dont think so. do you know what happens here if i put a beer on the dashboard and a shotgun in the rear window?
what do you say to a woman in texas with 2 black eyes, nothing, i already told her twice.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
Boy either that poster is from California or has never left the state of Texas to see real beautiful scenery. Half those pictures were pretty darn ugly. Was that post meant to be sarcastic or was the poster actually trying to defend the beauty of Texas?
I'm sorry you lack the ability to apprecite real beauty.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:39 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post

Like the excuse used in Texas, it must be all the transplants causing all the problems. I know CA is not like it was when I left it, a beautiful and great place to live with the best people in the world.

I wish you the best in Texas. The state and many of her people have been good to me for over 30 years now.

I hope your home sells fast and you make it to the new "promised land" quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas