Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for the information. We will proceed with caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 09:25 AM

437 posts, read 2,238,370 times
$13,000 a year????????? That can't be right. I wouldn't buy it either. Something is really wrong here.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:32 AM

21 posts, read 81,608 times
WA,
thanks for all the great info, My wife and I are looking at some property in Hunt. Sounds like this might be the same area you are in.
Would like to email you re: that area if that would be o.k.

Thanks again

Ron

Old 02-25-2007, 10:41 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas View Post
$13,000 a year????????? That can't be right. I wouldn't buy it either. Something is really wrong here.
That's property taxes in Texas... count on 2.5% to 3.5% of appraised value annually.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 AM

35 posts, read 197,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA Transplant View Post
Find a reputable contractor. I did three months research and even after I had one picked I called the owners of the last four homes he built and all his subs for references. I got nothing but high marks from them all and now that the house is done I would gladly be a reference for him. You can't do enough research, particularly if you are building "from afar".
I am interested in your builder. First, we are looking in the Marble Falls area. Does your builder build outside that area? We haven't ruled out that area either. We would be building from afar also.

Maybe you could give some tips on how you researched to find this contractor. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:58 PM

118 posts, read 465,267 times
My wife and I are going to drive out to the Fredericksburg area and look around the hill country. My wife is from Germany and I am hoping to make her feel more "at home" by moving there. At the present time, we live on the beach in Florida and are tired of the hurricanes.
We are quite, decent, clean people but are not able to, nor do we wish to buy a home. We may move to Fredericksburg/Kerrville and stay forever or we might just load up and move to Europe when she retires.
She works for Walmart. I took an early retirement from the Army and am a househusband (and a darn good one, too)
Any suggestions on an area that a German might really love and isn't so expensive. We just want to rent a little 2 bedroom house.

Thank you.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:17 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,240,903 times
Criss, may I suggest New Braunfels?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:39 AM

Thanks, we are going to check out that whole area.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:08 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
Hooah! And Wilkommen to Texas, the FRIENDLY state! You will love it in Texas. Plus being in the San Antonio area, you will have the VA and also Brooke Army Medical Center/Ft Sam Houston and Wilford Hall Medical Center/Lackland AFB which are all great medical facilities...and great commissaries and PX's etc!
p.s. how do you like Panama City? i was at one time considering taking a job at the Naval Hospital there, but i just couldnt do it-i had to come back to Texas after 3 years at Ft Stewart GA and so glad i did. will never leave again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss1956 View Post
My wife and I are going to drive out to the Fredericksburg area and look around the hill country. My wife is from Germany and I am hoping to make her feel more "at home" by moving there. At the present time, we live on the beach in Florida and are tired of the hurricanes.
We are quite, decent, clean people but are not able to, nor do we wish to buy a home. We may move to Fredericksburg/Kerrville and stay forever or we might just load up and move to Europe when she retires.
She works for Walmart. I took an early retirement from the Army and am a househusband (and a darn good one, too)
Any suggestions on an area that a German might really love and isn't so expensive. We just want to rent a little 2 bedroom house.

Thank you.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:14 AM

Smile Danke fur Dein schoen Wilkommen

We only have a small VA med facility here in PCB. There is an Army hospital at Ft Rucker, AL which is about 100 miles north and we have Eglin and Tyndall AFB to the East and West and a Naval hospital in Pensacola.
Panama City Beach is in transition of reinventing itself right now.
All the little Mom and Pop motels are now gone and high rise condos are sprung up. There is so much construction, that I can hardly breath due to the dust and sand that they stir up. www.panamacitybeachonline.com

We live on the West end of the beach where it's still quite and peaceful. Living here is wonderful for the first few years but the new soon wears off and you long to smell the forest and be able to walk in the woods.
We are looking forward to spring time when the water temp gets up into the high 70s and it's not so hot and humid. We go the beach in the mornings with a German breakfast and an American lunch, an ice chest full of beer and watching the dolphins. It's very peaceful.
Plus, by lunchtime, we've about beer'ed out, it's starting to get hot and we are sunburned. So we go home, take a shower and suffer the hangover that afternoon, go to bed early and feel great the next morning.

I've only been to TX twice: Once to Longview, in north TX and that was just long enough to pick up a friend off a tour bus and we headed right back to the beach and once we went to Pasadena (Houston) to play a concert.
I must say that the people in Texas were the friendliest people that I've ever met. I can hardly wait to get out there and teach yall how to make BBQ pork.
Hopfully, we can find a nice, decent, clean house to rent at a reasonable cost. I would like to live in town and never have to drive a car again.

Thanks again,

Criss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas