U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,627,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza08 View Post
Thanks for the clarification Gayle. I had an OH MY GAWD! moment in church this morning when I realized what you were abbreviating, LOL! So are you still living in the area? I'm still leaning toward the Ama area opposed to the M/O area. If my daughter decides she likes it down that way she can move after school, she won't be that far from me. As long as we're in the same state. Yeah Karen I know the wages are going to be lower but didn't realize that much, thanks. Though in Ohio not only do we pay state income tax but also city and county. This is an amazing welfare state! The government and freeloaders are running it into the ground. The construction co I work for is about out of business due to all the taxation and high
work comp rates. So thanks for the help, take care out there in that big beautiful state!
I would normally recommend Abilene, but if you have severe allergy problems, this is not the place for you. Of the cities you listed, I would guess Amarillo is best for your allergies. I have allergies too, and I have had to really fight them in Abilene. When I lived in the Amarillo area, they were not so bad. I have no idea about allergies in Midland/Odessa. Lubbock is dusty and always gives me allergy flare ups when I am there. (I also moved here from sinus valley, Ohio--Akron. Thanks for reminding me of the city, county, and state income taxes. I do not miss them!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 12:13 PM

45 posts, read 101,938 times
Yes the allergies and taxes here really suck! Though I'm hoping for a decent office position in the Ama area, I hope that will be possible. I'm not expecting what I'm making here but then again I have to eat. (love my TexMex and Q)! I really don't want to move back to one of the BIG Tx towns, and Austin really flared my allergies when I was there for springbreak. Maybe I should reconsider the M/O area, but I have my heart set on Ama.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:53 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,432,942 times
i think it's also the city code........if i recall correctly from my flight attendant days..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
Eliz......I'm sorry for the misunderstanding........Ama is Amarillo - just the common local shorthand.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 AM

Yup, I should of realized the Ama code, dah! I'm really wanting to return to Tx, but I am discouraged with the low wages in the panhandle. I'm hoping the cost of living will be decent enough to offset. I think a visit to the area will be the next move. Maybe drive down from Ama to M/O. I appreciate all the feedback, especially since I'm technically a yankee!
Though I've lived most of my adult life in Tx and Co, the west really has been the best fit for me for several reasons. So what are some of the reasons y'all like that part of Texas?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:01 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,246,245 times
One thing I really enjoyed in Amarillo was the cool evenings........here in East Texas when it's hot, it's hot 24/7. In the Panhandle, it cools off in the evenings and the wind usually lays and it's wonderful outdoors....people get out and walk and ride and visit. It does get cold and snows in the winter, but the street and highway departments are equipped to handle it so it doesn't shut the city down like smaller areas. I love the wide open spaces and being able to see both a sunrise and sunset - the most beautiful in the world - and you can see more stars there than any place I've ever been. The soil is good there and you can have great lawns and gardens (if you can afford the water bill....it doesn't rain there, ya know). We didn't find a lot of good food there, though (other than steaks)....certainly no good barbeque. However, the original Abuelo's is in Amarillo and it is outstanding Mexican food (they are now franchised and all the others we've tried are good, too).

Old 07-21-2008, 01:29 PM

Yes I really miss those Tx skies and sunsets. I can still feel the breeze and have the sense of really belonging. I'm hoping people are friendly,
moving to a new area can be overwhelming when trying to settle in.
Thanks for the vision!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM

145 posts, read 207,839 times
I think that our bbq is pretty awesome. (from the local Dyer's and the new to us chain of Rudy's) We have tons of restaurants, but no Jack in the Box or Quizno's (which we both crave like crazy).

There are lots of stars at night.

The traffic is nothing compared to anywhere in CA or bigger city.

It doesn't cost much to get your car inspected here ($12.50 because we are a small city that doesn't have to do the emissions part)

links to our newspaper
www.amarillo.com

to one of our (Amarillo residents past and present) message boards
AmarilloTalk.comô - Home

The tri-state fair. Of course all of the fairs that I have ever been to are bigger than our tri-state fair, but the food is good at all fairs!
Sept 12-20th
Tri State Fair (http://www.tristatefair.com/fair/index.html - broken link)

Old 07-21-2008, 04:22 PM

246 posts, read 514,088 times
Google the words Texas job bank. Alot of jobs from every area of the state, broken down by area and kind of work. If it matters to you Midland/Odessa are closer to the mountains. I live in Lubbock, used to live in Amarillo. Lubbock has the university, a better mall, a little bit more complete city. Amarillo has much nicer neighborhoods in terms of trees and grass. Lubbock has a milder winter. Both have good airports. Hope this helps!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:51 AM

Traffic is a consideration. I'm very spoiled, presently my commute is a whoppin' 5 mins! Thanks for the job bank info. Once I find a job I'll have to find housing close.
Actually had a sunset last night here in Ohio that reminded me of Texas. Lots of color though the sky is never as clear, and the clouds prior to it were stunning....

Old 07-22-2008, 03:04 PM

5,224 posts, read 7,496,131 times
I lived in AMarillo for 13 years and attended West Tx A&M for both bachelor and graduate degrees. I left 3 years ago and am currently living in the Seattle area. I love Amarillo and made some of the best friends in my life there. You really can't beat Texan friendliness. I miss so many things about Tx. Anyway, there is a health food store in Amarillo that I used to frequent called Eat Rite http://www.eat-rite.com/ They had mostly vits, etc but I imagine they have expanded their food section. Also, the United grocery store on S Georgia has a good sized organic and natural food section. My ex boyfriend did alot of his shopping there. Amarillo offers alot more than you think. It does get windy but you get used to it and it isn't every day. There is dust. You will see a dust film on your furniture if you keep your windows open for any period of time. I had pollen allergies when the wind would blow, but a local told me to eat some of the locally produced honey and that took care of that problem (so there is a bit more home/natural remedy stuff going on than you think).

Get registered with the employment office on 6th so that you are entered into their database. Then go to the temp agencies and register with them. Then hit up Baptist/St Anthony's for bookkeeping/records jobs. Talk to people. You never know when someone knows someone else.

Let me know how else I can help you.

BTW, I'm originally from Chicago and this yankee fell in love with Texas, so I say, WELCOME!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas