Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
When I moved back to Texas, I left a corporate job with an excellent salary and benefits to move back here and teach. My salary was less than 1/4 what I made in Ohio. It took awhile to adjust, but I have no regrets. The quality of life I have found in Texas trumps that salary any day.
I know you're probably right. It's just an adjustment. Before I left Amarillo, I thought 30K a year was alot of money! Now I look at that and think "Good grief, I can't work for that. That's like a 50% cut." Then again, I about flipped when I saw the housing market here and what 250K would get you (the bottom of the barrel, crackhouse) and let's not talk about property taxes. My friend in Amarillo just purchased a cute, little bungalow in a nice neighborhood for 100k. So...I'll have to bite that bullet and get the most amount of less in salary (if that makes sense).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:52 AM

45 posts, read 139,675 times
Good to hear so many of you have a good quality of life in Tx. There have been negative posts that make me stop and think, though there's going to be negatives no matter where someone lives. Have to weigh things out I suppose.

By the way, I like the panhandle story Gayle, thanks....

Old 07-25-2008, 07:09 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Default The Sun Still Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza08 View Post
Traffic is a consideration. I'm very spoiled, presently my commute is a whoppin' 5 mins! Thanks for the job bank info. Once I find a job I'll have to find housing close.
Actually had a sunset last night here in Ohio that reminded me of Texas. Lots of color though the sky is never as clear, and the clouds prior to it were stunning....
You won't have to worry about traffic in any of the locations you specified. The worst traffic you'll see in Lubbock consists of brief rush hour delays on South Loop 289 between Spur 327 and University, but that's about it. The infrastructure is improving in all those places.

And there is definitely no doubt that you will absolutely love those West Texas sunsets. They are beyond adequate description.

Oh, and we have great sunrises, too!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
I am a defense contractor as well...

Eliza, yes i also loved my diesel dually's...but unfortunately, i have to be practical and just be content with running my gas engine 4x4. but in a year or two, i will probably give in, and buy a diesel truck again regardless of gas prices..i just dont think i can live the rest of my life without one.

cobolt. Texas will be waiting for you. and there are plenty of defense contractor jobs in my area as we have the largest mechanized military installation in the world. i LOVE it here. (though part of me still misses North Texas-i lived in Paradise, Bryson, Aledo, and Graham for years)

Old 07-26-2008, 12:37 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
I am a defense contractor as well...

Eliza, yes i also loved my diesel dually's...but unfortunately, i have to be practical and just be content with running my gas engine 4x4. but in a year or two, i will probably give in, and buy a diesel truck again regardless of gas prices..i just dont think i can live the rest of my life without one.

cobolt. Texas will be waiting for you. and there are plenty of defense contractor jobs in my area as we have the largest mechanized military installation in the world. i LOVE it here. (though part of me still misses North Texas-i lived in Paradise, Bryson, Aledo, and Graham for years)
I guess my problem is that I don't want to live in the big city, so San Antone, DFW, Houston are all out for me. I want someplace smaller and where I can get back on those FM roads every once in a while. You know what I mean? Where would you suggest I look? I would rent for the first year and then hope to buy a house and want to keep it around 100K in a good area. It can be small. I dont care. Is Dyess still in Abeline? If I can find a defense contracting gig in a smaller community, I'd be all about it! Help me!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,680 times
I studied art with the late Ben Konis of Amarillo, Tx. I will just tell you that he always encouraged everyone to enjoy Sutphens BBQ. We did and it was wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza08 View Post
Hi out there to all you friendly West Texans! Will be moving to your part of the state in about two months. I'm leaving the heavily taxed, high unemployment state of Ohio. I'm not afraid of the cold, but do prefer warm sunny days, bare footin' is the best! But seriously in my 40's I worry about getting a job (I'm a bookkeeper) and medical care (I'm into the new age, preventitive, health nut thing). Ohio is very green and lush BUT it has also given me a lot of allergy problems, so I think the dry climate may be better. I lived in San Antonio for 16+ years (my daughter was born there) but after recent trips to SA and Austin they proved to be way too big. SA has become quite congested and Austin is expensive. I'm feelin' the area of Amarillo, but I know Lubbock has an appeal also. I know the MO area is booming and that's my daughters pick, for some reason she likes the barren look! Gotta have safe, affordable housing too. My spirit really fits in between blue and white collar, probably tipped a bit to the blue. I take life pretty simply, so I'm not looking for a cultural mecca. Think I'll fly down next month and drive from Amarillo through Lubbock to Midland/Odessa, get a real feel for all the areas, I've never been west of the hill country. So what do y'all think? I'm suffocating up here in yankee land, so I'll appreciate your input!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:37 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
Sutphens BBQ in Amarillo has been closed for many years (unless it's re-opened since we left 3 years ago)....and yes, it was very good. The 'mothership' of Sutphens, which is in Borger, sold out a few years ago to a young Hispanic couple who bought their recipes and were doing a good job in the same location when we left the area. The original Sutphens were friends of my grandparents when they lived in Borger during the '40's....good people.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 AM

45 posts, read 139,675 times
I'm with you Cobolt, I'm thinking of renting the first year and then trying to find a house around 100K. Still leaning towards bitin' the bullet and moving despite all the talk about low wages. I mean really $9/hr for accounting, wow! Oh well I'm still pulled to a better quality of life. Those sunsets and rises are what I'm talking about... so Case (or anyone) do you have any comments on the wages in the Ama area? So where is Lewisville?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
Lewisville is part of the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex (northern edge). If you are looking for slow-paced, peaceful, that's not your kinda place. However, there is a lake there (altho a very crowded one with a high accident rate) and nice trees. The wages are higher there, but so are the expenses, of course.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM

389 posts, read 1,656,811 times
I think Amarillo is a nice fit for relocation been thru their many times have a family in the area never heard of any complaints.I can say the same for Lubbock my dad lives their as well as a step brother I haven't heard anything neg. on their part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas