Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:58 PM

20 posts, read 194,433 times

Advertisements

I am looking for cold places in Texas with forest, mountains and lakes.

Any suggestions?

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:10 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,325,909 times
uh....cold winters can be found anywhere in Texas...of course the more north ya go, the colder, but with mountains/lakes/forests also? you may need to look at New Mexico or Colorado.
but in terms of coldest, i believe Dalhart in the Panhandle might be the town that records record lows, if i recall.......

Old 07-18-2008, 11:52 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,113,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
uh....cold winters can be found anywhere in Texas...
Star is right about the panhandle, but cold rarely (if ever) happens in SETX, as well as the rest of the coast. Too many Christmas afternoons spent with the A/C running...

Old 07-19-2008, 12:03 AM

i spent last year in Corpus Christi area and the winter had some VERY bitter cold spells-i had to pull out my snowsuit or coveralls, and wear fleece gloves, scarf, hat, just to tolerate the cold when i walked my dogs. sure, they didnt last very long, maybe about 3-4 days, then warm up, and then another spell every few weeks or so...i made use of winter clothes that i would wear skiing in Colorado, while i lived there

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Star is right about the panhandle, but cold rarely (if ever) happens in SETX, as well as the rest of the coast. Too many Christmas afternoons spent with the A/C running...

Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,081,924 times
I would suggest trans-Pecos Texas, out around Ft Dais/Alpine/Marfa, but there is precious little water for lakes out there. Marfa and Dalhart duel for the lowest low temperature in TX; often, it's one or the other. There are mountains and forests out there, though, especially north of Ft Davis near McDonald Observatory. There aren't any places in Texas one could consider cold in summer.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 AM

52,574 posts, read 47,711,637 times
If you are looking for a forest AND very cold weather in Texas in the same place, well, good luck. East Texas does not exactly get Arctic cold, and the Texas Panhandle, while it's the coldest area, does not have forests.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i spent last year in Corpus Christi area and the winter had some VERY bitter cold spells-i had to pull out my snowsuit or coveralls, and wear fleece gloves, scarf, hat, just to tolerate the cold when i walked my dogs. sure, they didnt last very long, maybe about 3-4 days, then warm up, and then another spell every few weeks or so...i made use of winter clothes that i would wear skiing in Colorado, while i lived there

Not trying to disagree, but maybe our definition of "cold" is really different. I have pictures to prove my kids played outdoors on some 80 degree Christmas days---wearing shorts, T-shirts and sandals.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:07 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
Last year it hit 33 on two nights in my area and that's the cold we got. All our tropical plants survived. So not exactly what I call cold. The coast here can be 35-40 degrees, cloudy, windy & humid which can put a sting on you. Similar to the Pacific NW, but the NW has a bigger bite even when the sun is out.

Ditch the mountain jackets; instead you'll need multiple thin layers you can shed as necessary, and tuck at least the inner one into your jeans!!!

Last edited by tstone; 07-19-2008 at 01:20 PM..

Old 07-19-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Last year it hit 33 on two nights in my area and that's the cold we got. All our tropical plants survived.
I agree with that. I never had to wrap pipes, or move the plants inside, or anything else. It did not freeze at all (where I live) last "winter".

Old 07-19-2008, 04:19 PM

hmmm i dont know....i know that i wasnt the only cold one-last year during the winter near Corpus, there were quite a number of days that i was not the only nurse reporting for duty in the ER with big winter coats on and gloves. i also recall several times having to use an old ID or credit card to scrape the ice off my windows since i didnt have an ice scraper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas