Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:30 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times

Advertisements

I watched the news almost all day yesterday because I have family in Brownsville. At no point did I ever feel the media made the storm out to be the next Katrina. However, what was special about this storm was that it did everything backwards...even the winds were shooting from the bayside to the ocean side and thus knocking out all the windows and doing some good damage on south padre island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I watched the news almost all day yesterday because I have family in Brownsville. At no point did I ever feel the media made the storm out to be the next Katrina. However, what was special about this storm was that it did everything backwards...even the winds were shooting from the bayside to the ocean side and thus knocking out all the windows and doing some good damage on south padre island.
Visit the News 5 link and watch the reporter in the field.. tell me that is not over the top reporting.. making mountains outta mole hills. Or look at the coverage from the Weather Channel.. they were so melodramatic about the whole thing. I called a couple friends in Corpus who were enjoying the storm, and laughing about how everyone was making a big deal over nothing.. heck they said there were people out on the beach there in the storms edge.

Now I will admit I am sure South Padre got a good hit, since its an island.. but its nothing they cant have fixed in a couple weeks time. I have even seen some of the web cams back up and working on the island.

South Padre Island Texas Live Web Cams Surf Beach Weather Hotel Condo Spring Break Real Estate

South Padre Island Texas Live Laguna Madre Bay Cam Fishing Reports

South Padre Island Texas Live Beach Cam Activities and Beach Wedding Services

Don't get me wrong I feel for the loss, and wish everyone down there well. Just seems some people try to make more of something than whats there.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:27 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Muhnay,
I was only talking about CNN and FOX. Of course the locals will make it sound like Katrina, that is expected. I mean, it's the biggest thing to happen there since the border wall controversy.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Muhnay,
I was only talking about CNN and FOX. Of course the locals will make it sound like Katrina, that is expected. I mean, it's the biggest thing to happen there since the border wall controversy.
Yeah thats true.. thanks for the new perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas