Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:09 PM

415 posts, read 501,977 times

Advertisements

Uptown Dallas is more easily compared to Midtown Houston. The only similairty that Uptown Houston and Uptown Dallas share is the name. Midtown Houston is just across the freeway from Downtown Houston (much like Uptown Dallas is from Downtown Dallas). Midtown Houston has a light rail line in the middle of it, and is experiencing a ton of growth. It doesn't have the highrises like Uptown Dallas though. Midtown Houston is more scale throughout, with nothing really over 12 stories. The highrises are in Uptown Houston mainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
I grew up not too far from Houston (about 1 hour east of it) and I have to say the Houston stinks to High Heaven (as we say it back home). Dallas is much cleaner than Houston.
You said you lived an hour east of Houston? So Beaumont? That's not Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,520,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Uptown Dallas is more easily compared to Midtown Houston. The only similairty that Uptown Houston and Uptown Dallas share is the name. Midtown Houston is just across the freeway from Downtown Houston (much like Uptown Dallas is from Downtown Dallas). Midtown Houston has a light rail line in the middle of it, and is experiencing a ton of growth. It doesn't have the highrises like Uptown Dallas though. Midtown Houston is more scale throughout, with nothing really over 12 stories. The highrises are in Uptown Houston mainly.

You said you lived an hour east of Houston? So Beaumont? That's not Houston.
Yeah, Beaumont, but I've gone to Houston a zillion times to go shopping, visit my relatives, and such....

Old 07-22-2008, 12:59 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,583,942 times
I've been away from Houston for 4 yrs. now and go back several times a year to visit. It doesn't stink there anymore than it does in Dallas. The refineries are located just as jjp says....out in a few suburbs away from the city center. And the people are more laid back. You really can't smell anything until you get to Pasadena, at least in my experience.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,003,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
Uptown Dallas is okay (very walkable and such), but the people there are kind of "hoity-toity" (if you know what I mean).

Where as Uptown Houston, the people are a little more nicer and such, but walking there is so dangerous nowadays.
Uptown Dallas also has the Streetcar (being expanded) http://www.mata.org/ connecting to Downtown and CityPlace/West Village DART subway.

And Friends of Katy Trail:

Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM

415 posts, read 501,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Uptown Dallas also has the Streetcar (being expanded) McKinney Avenue Transit Authority connecting to Downtown and CityPlace/West Village DART subway.

And Friends of Katy Trail:
Which is very comparable to Midtown Houston (with the light rail and all). That, and Hermann Park is just a short train ride away in the Museum District. Uptown Houston and Uptown Dallas are in no way similar other than the name. Uptown Houston will have a Ritz Carlton Hotel though (66-stories), and a W-Hotel nearby in another development. Uptown is like a mix of Uptown Dallas, the Park Cities, and Northpark all in one area (kind of). Once the light rail/subway hits Uptown in 2012, it will become more walkable. They are already redeveloping the suburban strip centers into urban centers (like the new BLVD-Place development, which holds the Ritz Carlton).

Wulfe & Co. - Commercial &#149 Retail Real Estate (http://www.wulfe.com/boulevardplace.asp - broken link)

Oh yeah, and Uptown was the first place in Texas to have a Ritz by the way . It closed down because of bad management and was turned into a St. Regis I believe (which is of the same quality).

Old 07-22-2008, 02:35 PM

808 posts, read 3,633,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
I don't remember anyone saying that. Unless I missed it.
Here you are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Dallas = MUCH hotter and stinks to high Hell

Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,784,898 times
i live in uptown houston and i have to say that it's not walkable at all but it will get there someday. too many strip centers

Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,768,566 times
Lol at all these comparisons.
Not even the same thing but they keep on being compared

Old 05-21-2013, 06:36 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,383,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Which is very comparable to Midtown Houston (with the light rail and all). That, and Hermann Park is just a short train ride away in the Museum District. Uptown Houston and Uptown Dallas are in no way similar other than the name. Uptown Houston will have a Ritz Carlton Hotel though (66-stories), and a W-Hotel nearby in another development. Uptown is like a mix of Uptown Dallas, the Park Cities, and Northpark all in one area (kind of). Once the light rail/subway hits Uptown in 2012, it will become more walkable. They are already redeveloping the suburban strip centers into urban centers (like the new BLVD-Place development, which holds the Ritz Carlton).

Wulfe & Co. - Commercial • Retail Real Estate (http://www.wulfe.com/boulevardplace.asp - broken link)

Oh yeah, and Uptown was the first place in Texas to have a Ritz by the way . It closed down because of bad management and was turned into a St. Regis I believe (which is of the same quality).
Hmmm......it's now 2013....none of this happened. No W, no ritz, no subway,no nothing.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,239,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Hmmm......it's now 2013....none of this happened. No W, no ritz, no subway,no nothing.
That's right. No aloft hotel (made by W), no BLVD place expansion, no Astoria Condos, no 3 new highrise office towers, no High Street mixed use, nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas