Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Ditto on 'Friday Nite Lights'. Also, 'The Picture Show'.
And if you watch "The Last Picture Show" you should pick up "Texasville" as well. Both great movies that give you a humorous and different take on small town life. Pick up "Dancer, Texas" while you're at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 04:19 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,966 times
Cool I see said the blind man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
that's kinda what i was getting at, i was just running out of gas at the end of the post. Thar be no trees in midland (overgeneralized).
10-4

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I had serveral guys from NYC come tyo where I work. frankly;I was surprised how well tehy adapted to Texas. I talking to them they consisently said that there wre two things that they had to get use to that startled them at first;that seem strnge to us. One was that people made eye contact when tehy appraoched you and the orther was they said helo or how you doing. All siad they were not sure at first if it ws a ploy to get a answer to start something. New yrokers seem to be a trough bred like we think we are and very adaptable. Much more so than many other people from other areas. I am sure like my father there are thngs you will misss about new yrok but give it sometime and try to think of it as a adventure which it is.Good Luck and welcome to Texas.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:53 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I had serveral guys from NYC come tyo where I work. frankly;I was surprised how well tehy adapted to Texas. I talking to them they consisently said that there wre two things that they had to get use to that startled them at first;that seem strnge to us. One was that people made eye contact when tehy appraoched you and the orther was they said helo or how you doing. All siad they were not sure at first if it ws a ploy to get a answer to start something. New yrokers seem to be a trough bred like we think we are and very adaptable. Much more so than many other people from other areas. I am sure like my father there are thngs you will misss about new yrok but give it sometime and try to think of it as a adventure which it is.Good Luck and welcome to Texas.
That reminds me of a post I once read on another forum. People were discussing their flirting techniques and one guy said that he had moved from the northeast to Texas and it ruined his technique. Up north when he saw an attractive woman he would make eye contact and say hello, in Texas he was surprised that almost everyone does that and its not flirting.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:21 PM

14 posts, read 54,678 times
Quote:
Meet some girls and you will decide that you like the place.

Doesn't that usually happen wherever a guy ends up living?

As for Midland and Odessa, I just flew down there and came back from a one-day orientation involving my future position. I didn't do much sightseeing but I was provided lunch at a Mexican restaurant and was driven to random parts of Midland and Odessa. I then slept at the Travelodge motel in Odessa.

I saw alot of sweaty-looking Mexican laborers and middle-aged white men. Women were a minority. Of the few I've seen, they mostly looked to be obese and near their 40s.

By the way, how much is the median electric bill for Midland/Odessa households?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:26 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
aint nothing wrong with being "near your 40s"........

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecore View Post
Doesn't that usually happen wherever a guy ends up living?

As for Midland and Odessa, I just flew down there and came back from a one-day orientation involving my future position. I didn't do much sightseeing but I was provided lunch at a Mexican restaurant and was driven to random parts of Midland and Odessa. I then slept at the Travelodge motel in Odessa.

I saw alot of sweaty-looking Mexican laborers and middle-aged white men. Women were a minority. Of the few I've seen, they mostly looked to be obese and near their 40s.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:29 PM

just a tidbit........there is a town called Notrees, in Ector County. my good friend grew up there. and he tells me there aint no trees in Notrees. serious.

Quote:
That's kinda what I was getting at, I was just running out of gas at the end of the post. Thar be no trees in Midland (overgeneralized).

Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Yeah, I agree...nothing wrong with women near their 40's. Lots of us don't look it, take care of ourselves and exercize and some have good gene's

Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 PM

exactly. i cant begin to tell you how many times people were WAY off on guessing my age. most everyone guesses early 30s. a few maybe mid to high 30s. and i am turning 44 this year. when i tell them that, they are truly shocked.
todays 40 is yesterdays 30 etc............

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Yeah, I agree...nothing wrong with women near their 40's. Lots of us don't look it, take care of ourselves and exercize and some have good gene's

Old 08-17-2008, 09:19 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecore View Post

I couldn't find the median electric bill but I did find an average utilities (specific to electricity and natural gas in this case) cost comparison. 100 was defined as average for the U.S. and more than 100 is more costly than average. New York city's utility cost was rated at 165, Odessa was 106, and Midland was 102.

source:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2008 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas