U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,721,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Sabine. or the Sabine before Toledo Bend Reservoir was finished. Maybe now, below the dam and down to the Gulf, it's still the same as in the past but Toledo Bend Reservoir was both good and bad. Before (Toledo Bend) we used to camp alongside the river on some of those white sandbars and shoot the bull late into the night. And, we'd set out trot lines and make a feeble attempt to catch some catfish but the canned beans, sardines, Vienna sausage and crackers were usually our supper. Didn't matter though because we'd have a night on the river, under the stars to look forward to and then go back home and tell tales of the "cougars" yelling during the night and all those big catfish that got away. Something about those deep hardwood forests of East Texas that bring peace to my mind. I think maybe the Neches and Angelina Rivers are similar to the Sabine but so many people have their eyes on those places to build even more dams. Folks, don't let them dam your river.

Great post ... you forgot one thing though ... walking on those sugar white sandbars and the sand "squeaking" underfoot! Floating the Sabine now from below the dam is awesome and lonesome!

I've spent many evenings/nights on similar outings on the Neches below Steinhagen Lake (Dam B).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 AM

5,031 posts, read 8,042,042 times
Colorado River

Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,912,229 times
I kind of like the Guadalupe:

Old 07-24-2008, 12:50 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,376,647 times
I think I just changed my mind.. I now like this River much more. Where is it.. I may need to go check this out first hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
I kind of like the Guadalupe:

Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,432,090 times
Yeah, the Guadalupe is very pretty. Although, I'd have to say the Brazos for me. I grew up in Brazoria, and it runs through there. I love all the history of the area and that at one point it was just about as busy as the Mississippi. I also love all the stories of plantations and ghosts along it. Now, also, living near Austin, I live close to the San Gabriel. It's a pretty river too, sort of reminiscent of the Guadalupe like in the pictures above. For Muhnay, I believe the Guadalupe runs through San Marcos and New Braunfels, and possibly through Wimberly.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,376,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Yeah, the Guadalupe is very pretty. For Muhnay, I believe the Guadalupe runs through San Marcos and New Braunfels, and possibly through Wimberly.
Ahh cool thanks for the info.. UVALDE has a river near by as well.. I remember it looking very much like the images posted above.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 PM

189 posts, read 426,453 times
I'm with awecelot.... I like the Frio. It can be a 100 outside and the river is still cold. Great river to tube down and beautiful scenery.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,912,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I think I just changed my mind.. I now like this River much more. Where is it.. I may need to go check this out first hand.
Those were taken on the Guadalupe at a park right off River Road outside of Gruene (near New Braunfels) - gruene, tx - Google Maps

Old 07-24-2008, 03:24 PM

4,691 posts, read 4,018,878 times
the Llano.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 PM

18,819 posts, read 17,538,888 times
The Red River cause it shows people from Oklahoma where their state stops. They need the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas