Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:39 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
It gave you ample warning.. Get the heck out of the way, or stay there and risk dieing.. if you do the latter then grow a back bone... you put yourself in that position. I never said they said it was like Katrina.. stop putting words in my mouth. I said you all act as if this was the storm of the century, made it bigger than what it was... and your still doing it.
I agree one should leave the area if a hurricane is a possibility although somewhere on another thread, people were ridiculing those who wanted to leave. I say it's better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, you did quote something about Katrina, but that's really not the point. Maybe you heard someone say that and you were quoting him or her. Whatever...........

I certainly never indicated anywhere that it was the storm of the century. I just commented on what it was, nothing bigger, so you're very wrong about that.

Your analogy pertaining to growing a backbone is funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:02 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Well what ever.. lets make this about Hurricane Pics again.. here are some great vids..

YouTube - Hurricane Dolly, South Padre Island

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_cKl...eature=related

Some great coverage by locals.. all over the coast and RGV.

This is a good news piece.. it gives a better idea of whats going on.. my heart goes out to those who lost so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69nsp...eature=related

http://www.mahalo.com/Hurricane_Dolly_2008

Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Here is a vid that addresses both topics. It was by no means the worst storm in the world, but I think alot of folks were disallutioned about what to expect and this has led to a bit of shock. Not to mention that folks these days do NOT like to uncomfortable...no AC, no internet, no TV...the world is ending. After losing power during Rita, I kinda sympathize with the no AC part the heat and humidity can be aweful. Anyway, here is the link:
YouTube - Vactioners Talk About Their Date With Dolly

Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
I was reading the Corpus Christi Caller today and looked at the pics posted that referred to "damage" from Dolly. OMG, lawn chairs in the pool, grill tipped over, storage box moved on the patio, broken glass patio table top????Are you serious? That is not damage and why would you leave any of those items outside? If you dont care about your own property, atl least be considerate of you neighbors by not having "missiles" outside during a tropical storm and/or hurricane warning period. Finally, after 7 months in Corpus Christi I find something to complain about. In Minnesota we put everything in garages even when a thunderstorm warning is posted. Anyway, we survived our first tropical storm/hurricane warning. Much to do about nothing in our humble opinion. We had numerous thunderstorms, hail storms and blizzards very single year in Minnesota which had much higher winds than Dolly. Thats why I had to look at the "damage" pics.
You have blizzards with winds in excess of 100 MPH? At that speed ashalt singles start to come off;glad I don't live in Minnisota then. I've seen blizzards in the 60 mph range but not much above that on the weather. Sure you don't lve at the north pole?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:25 PM

160 posts, read 638,266 times
The time I spent in Grand Forks, North Dakota was windy, but nothing comparable to a hurricane. What you experienced with Dolly is nothing like a hurricane.

In 1919 Corpus had a real hurricane. It was a direct hit with puny little 170mph winds recorded before the Nueces County Courthouse's anemometer was broke. Doesn't sound particularly threatening, until you realize that all but 2 buildings on the North Shore were obliterated. The standing two were seriously damaged. Two-hundred and eighty seven people lost their lives. Dead drifted ashore for weeks after the event. Downtown was under about twelve feet of water. It was known as 'The Storm of the Century'. More can be found here. (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/crp/docs/research/hurrhistory/1919/index.html - broken link)

Maybe you understand now why people left things out. They were having a party, basically. If theres no indication of it being at least a Catagory 3 hurricane, most long term residents that I know of don't even bother with losing sleep or getting out of routine over it.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 AM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Another bad hurricane in Corpus Christi history was 1970's Hurricane Celia. 80% of the structures in the city of Corpus Christi were damaged or destroyed.

Hurricane Celia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 AM

304 posts, read 1,126,920 times
You missed my point entirely. I am NOT talking about Brownsville, Harlingen or South Padre Island. I am talking about the Corpus Christi Caller paper that posted pics of a tipped over grill, broken glass table top and a moved box on the patio. These pics are not "damage". Yes, in Minnesota we get winds of 65MPH during thunderstorms and blizzards more often than people who dont live there realize. News media calling wolf and making mountains our of mole hills are the reason people are injured and do not evacuate.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I've got to side with Muhnay and GoingHome2TX here. I grew up on the coast and most people I knew didn't even bat an eyelash at a Cat 1 or 2 hurricane. Board up the windows and expect a bit of debris and high water is pretty much all that happened. When the eye came over, we'd stick our heads out the front door for a few minutes, then go back in and wait for the rest to be over. After the storm passed, we'd survey any slight damage (since that's usually all that happened) and be excited that we had water in the driveway to splash around in. Our house never flooded because it was built up somewhat. We never got melodramatic about it. Actually, I don't even remember evacuating for any of them if they were higher than a 2. Of course, after that, they are really scary.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 AM

304 posts, read 1,126,920 times
Oh, and one more point, according to the local paper, I DID survive a terrible hurricane. The media needs to get a clue from weather, to the economy. They have become panic mongers.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 AM

160 posts, read 638,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
Oh, and one more point, according to the local paper, I DID survive a terrible hurricane. The media needs to get a clue from weather, to the economy. They have become panic mongers.
That is because you weren't reading the news. I know the CC Caller-Times calls themselves a newspaper, but all modern journalism has stopped being news. It is now emtion and ideal swaying. If it were news, you would have just straight facts and quotes, not someones twist or view tacked on.

Add to the fact that they figure they can sell more paper by telling everyone how they scraped by on the skin of their teeth from the worst world disaster to ever happen, instead of telling them that we got a little wet, some wind, and it will dry out in a few days and everything will be fine. Take it with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas