U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 AM

5,344 posts, read 9,021,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
I was reading the Corpus Christi Caller today and looked at the pics posted that referred to "damage" from Dolly. OMG, lawn chairs in the pool, grill tipped over, storage box moved on the patio, broken glass patio table top????Are you serious? That is not damage and why would you leave any of those items outside? ...
Welcome to the Gulf Coast... the news and such making a huge deal out of every hurricane...

Years ago in Houston a category 1 made a direct hit. Don't remember its name. We stood outside and watched some leaves blow around... what a joke.

Not to say it can't be a serious situation, because that's obviously not true... just that sometimes it's a little overblown by the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:08 AM

304 posts, read 773,593 times
As I have posted on here many times, we love everything about Corpus and the people of corpus, but the account of the "damage" in CC just hit me wrong. I will get off my soap box now.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:36 PM

380 posts, read 953,018 times
really, after Katrina, this kind of stuff is bound to be hyped out of proportion. fear sells doesn't it?
not to say any hurricane (cat 1 or 2) isnt dangerous or isnt worth being cautious for (cause it is) but you have to filter things a little. cut some fat off. welcome to south tex. its a whole other world.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM

8,063 posts, read 11,536,863 times
I just received an email from my good friend in Brownsville. She was able to drive out of her area and go to a friend's business for computer access. She's still without power and water -- areas in mid-town and the northside were hardest hit. She reports being miserable -- it's hot and very humid -- but there's nowhere else to go since everyone she knows lives in the same area. Besides that, she doesn't want to leave her property for fear of break-ins, looting. I don't blame her a bit but I fear for her safety, too, as she lives alone.

We need to keep all of those affected in our thoughts and prayers.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 PM

5,567 posts, read 9,537,215 times
My parents still don't have power in Brownsville. They are sick of the mosquitos and the humidity/heat. Man, worst time to have no electricity!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 PM

42,616 posts, read 46,420,892 times
We were hit by Rita(eye pasted ten miles from my house) and then Humburto last year (eye again right nearby). Rita was 135 MPH and very distructive. Humberto was 95 mph and alot of rain not much damge otehr than power out for about a day and a half. If your perents by a portable generator FEMA will most likely pay them later. Also they need to get fans or a 110 volt window unit.They can run the refigerator;freezer;lamps and the fans or window unit off the generator if its about 5500-6000watts eaily.Also tell tehm to not be surprised if a C130 plane comes over in a few days spraying for the mosquitoes after a storm. If you are not expecting it ;it will scare the heck out of you because they come over low.If they can leave its probably the best thing really.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:40 AM

238 posts, read 488,656 times
These types of storms can't be underestimated. Come on, people, these are hurricanes. The few of you who say it's no big deal, just get with the program. People will get hurt, and, yes, people will die. They are dangerous, and I don't give a damn if people think it's nothing more than a few leaves. Regardless if it's a Cat 1 or a Cat 5, Mother Nature's fury will never let up, and it is no respecter of places or people. You'll always have damage someplace.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:22 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,276,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_word View Post
These types of storms can't be underestimated. Come on, people, these are hurricanes. The few of you who say it's no big deal, just get with the program. People will get hurt, and, yes, people will die. They are dangerous, and I don't give a damn if people think it's nothing more than a few leaves. Regardless if it's a Cat 1 or a Cat 5, Mother Nature's fury will never let up, and it is no respecter of places or people. You'll always have damage someplace.
Please spare us the melodramatics. I am not gonna get all excited over a few down trees and some minor flooding.. I have a lake outside my home right now because ol'Dolly came up the Rio to say hello and parked on El Paso.. No biggie, I got my sand bags, and my camera.. other than that I am sitting here chilling on my PC drinking the new Mt. Dew Revolution and enjoying life.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:41 AM

8,633 posts, read 16,290,886 times
Thank you Muhnay Regarding the previous post, I realize these things are hurricanes. I've lived in Texas nearly my entire life (i'm in my 30's). That's a lot of years of living through these things. Usually if someone gets hurt or killed in a cat 1 or 2 hurricane it's because they were outside doing something stupid in the first place (in most cases). You're not supposed to go out and surf before one comes in or while it's occuring. Don't go out and drive around in your car (even in a tropical storm). Don't go wading around in deep water when you can't see what's under it to avoid stepping on downed power lines and other obstructions. Of course there will be damage, but there IS a difference in the severity of the damage depending on the degree of hurricane. Also, you're not really supposed to go outside during the eye of the hurricane, no matter the level, because you never can know how long the lull will last and you don't want to get caught in the 2nd wave unprotected. With a hurricane you do have enough warning to check the trees in your yard and accordingly get any dead limbs taken care of or trimmed back, board up your windows, gather supplies, or evacuate. Most people who opt not to evacuate do so because they've been through them before and know their degree of comfort with whatever level it is. For me personally (and my family;and it's probably why I think this way) I would just stay home and hunker down if a level 1/2 was approaching. If it was a level 3 or higher, I would evacuate. You have to develop a plan that you use every year, not just go willy nilly or spontaneously every time. Like, know you live where hurricanes happen, keep flora trimmed up, make the necessary improvements to your home if you can. Also, know what town you prefer to stay in when you evacuate and know more than one way to get there. My dad and stepmom did this. Know whether or not you live in a flood zone. Have your house built on a slight hill or incline to have your house up a little higher. I do feel for people who lose something in a storm because there are times when no matter what you do to prepare something just turns out wrong, but at least you try. I know some people who have family in Brownsville who just say it floods bad there anyway, but noone they knew was hurt or flooded out, and they opted to stay and just deal with it. Some of them left until it passed.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:52 AM

5,080 posts, read 3,276,993 times
That is well said. Oh and by the way, your welcome.

Yeah when I lived in Gulfport Mississippi, I learned real quick how to watch the tropic report, and know where Hurricanes are headed. I had a hurricane box set up and ready to go. I learned to stock up on can meats and what not... and broth. Locals there said that anything 2 or above they would head out.. Katrina did a good job of teaching people the wrath of mother nature. Everyone talks about New Orleans, but forget that Mississippi was pretty much erased.. but due to great leadership, they got to cleaning and rebuilding rather quick... maybe thats why no one talks about the hardest hit, like Gulfport, Biloxi, and of course Pass Christian, and Bay Saint Louis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Thank you Muhnay Regarding the previous post, I realize these things are hurricanes. I've lived in Texas nearly my entire life (i'm in my 30's). That's a lot of years of living through these things. Usually if someone gets hurt or killed in a cat 1 or 2 hurricane it's because they were outside doing something stupid in the first place (in most cases). You're not supposed to go out and surf before one comes in or while it's occurring. Don't go out and drive around in your car (even in a tropical storm). Don't go wading around in deep water when you can't see what's under it to avoid stepping on downed power lines and other obstructions. Of course there will be damage, but there IS a difference in the severity of the damage depending on the degree of hurricane. Also, you're not really supposed to go outside during the eye of the hurricane, no matter the level, because you never can know how long the lull will last and you don't want to get caught in the 2nd wave unprotected. With a hurricane you do have enough warning to check the trees in your yard and accordingly get any dead limbs taken care of or trimmed back, board up your windows, gather supplies, or evacuate. Most people who opt not to evacuate do so because they've been through them before and know their degree of comfort with whatever level it is. For me personally (and my family;and it's probably why I think this way) I would just stay home and hunker down if a level 1/2 was approaching. If it was a level 3 or higher, I would evacuate. You have to develop a plan that you use every year, not just go willy nilly or spontaneously every time. Like, know you live where hurricanes happen, keep flora trimmed up, make the necessary improvements to your home if you can. Also, know what town you prefer to stay in when you evacuate and know more than one way to get there. My dad and stepmom did this. Know whether or not you live in a flood zone. Have your house built on a slight hill or incline to have your house up a little higher. I do feel for people who lose something in a storm because there are times when no matter what you do to prepare something just turns out wrong, but at least you try. I know some people who have family in Brownsville who just say it floods bad there anyway, but noone they knew was hurt or flooded out, and they opted to stay and just deal with it. Some of them left until it passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas