Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:03 PM

304 posts, read 1,122,857 times

Advertisements

I was reading the Corpus Christi Caller today and looked at the pics posted that referred to "damage" from Dolly. OMG, lawn chairs in the pool, grill tipped over, storage box moved on the patio, broken glass patio table top????Are you serious? That is not damage and why would you leave any of those items outside? If you dont care about your own property, atl least be considerate of you neighbors by not having "missiles" outside during a tropical storm and/or hurricane warning period. Finally, after 7 months in Corpus Christi I find something to complain about. In Minnesota we put everything in garages even when a thunderstorm warning is posted. Anyway, we survived our first tropical storm/hurricane warning. Much to do about nothing in our humble opinion. We had numerous thunderstorms, hail storms and blizzards very single year in Minnesota which had much higher winds than Dolly. Thats why I had to look at the "damage" pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:19 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,884,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeofpace View Post
I was reading the Corpus Christi Caller today and looked at the pics posted that referred to "damage" from Dolly. OMG, lawn chairs in the pool, grill tipped over, storage box moved on the patio, broken glass patio table top????Are you serious? That is not damage and why would you leave any of those items outside? If you dont care about your own property, atl least be considerate of you neighbors by not having "missiles" outside during a tropical storm and/or hurricane warning period. Finally, after 7 months in Corpus Christi I find something to complain about. In Minnesota we put everything in garages even when a thunderstorm warning is posted. Anyway, we survived our first tropical storm/hurricane warning. Much to do about nothing in our humble opinion. We had numerous thunderstorms, hail storms and blizzards very single year in Minnesota which had much higher winds than Dolly. Thats why I had to look at the "damage" pics.
POST LINKS! Thank you. Yeah I found much of the reporting to be very melodramatic. OH MY GOD its Katrina all over again.. and they are in ankle deep water... please people get a grip.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,645,978 times
There's definitely damage in Deep South Texas like in South padre island and Brownsville, but I don't know of anything in Corpus. Don't worry changeofpace, once you face a hurricane that hits you directly, you'll see damage (I hope it doesn't)!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,947,681 times
The hurricane didn't get near Corpus. It made landfall near Brownsville and all of the damaging bands were south of the eye, not north. Any rain or winds would be attributed to Dolly being in the region but that's not real hurricane damage. So, you haven't "survived" anything. Hell's bells, the typical severe thunderstorm here in West Texas is twice as bad as what you got.

Pray that you don't ever get anything close to a direct hit in CC.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:17 PM

Oh please, you all keep acting like this was the storm of the century.. give it a rest already.. it has moved on. Grow a backbone already. Sheesh, you would think this was a Cat 5 Katrina storm and your levees broke.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:39 PM

384 posts, read 1,408,194 times
pretty common for south texas. they've learned to make hurricane parties. they have evolved. nothing cat 5 or anything so take it easy right?
south tex usually gets 1,2's,3's.. maybe 4's but hardly.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:00 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,947,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Oh please, you all keep acting like this was the storm of the century.. give it a rest already.. it has moved on. Grow a backbone already. Sheesh, you would think this was a Cat 5 Katrina storm and your levees broke.
No one said this was similar to Katrina or the "storm of the century." But I think it's pretty insensitive for people who don't even live where it hit to insist it's all a big nothing.

I saw pictures from neighborhoods not far from where I used to live of people wading through nearly waist-high water and I still haven't had any luck reaching my friends. Folks down there are tired, worried, and stressed -- calling them "melo-dramatic" isn't right. I know I sure wouldn't appreciate it if I had no running water or electricity and my home was damaged!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,223,715 times
Grow a backbone during a storm......please. On the news, even some of the men in South Padre were saying it was pretty scary. I never heard anyone say it was going to be like Katrina. In fact, the people living there were surprised it went from a category 1 as predicted to a 2.

It may not have damaged CC, but it wasn't so nice to SP.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
No one said this was similar to Katrina or the "storm of the century." But I think it's pretty insensitive for people who don't even live where it hit to insist it's all a big nothing.

I saw pictures from neighborhoods not far from where I used to live of people wading through nearly waist-high water and I still haven't had any luck reaching my friends. Folks down there are tired, worried, and stressed -- calling them "melo-dramatic" isn't right. I know I sure wouldn't appreciate it if I had no running water or electricity and my home was damaged!
And I think its a bit overboard for people who live there to blow this out of proportions. You picked the Gulf coast to live, this is one of the prices you pay for that luxury. I am referring to the news stories and to the way the storm was handled by the press, and how some people on this board want to make more out of this storm than what took place. Yes there was flooding, yes there was damage.. and for that I am sorry.. but lets not make it more than what it is.

So you saw pictures.. really.. care to post these pictures, or share them with us? I mean hey you have proof that its worse than what little we have seen so far on the news and online. So show us the real story.

As for flooding.. here look at this.. This is this Year in El Paso TX. This is my street.. did I make a mountain out of a mole hill because we got flooded once again, like we did in 2006.. nope.

Flood July 2008 EPTX - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/muhnay/sets/72157606356836063/ - broken link)

Old 07-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Grow a backbone during a storm......please. On the news, even some of the men in South Padre were saying it was pretty scary. I never heard anyone say it was going to be like Katrina. In fact, the people living there were surprised it went from a category 1 as predicted to a 2.

It may not have damaged CC, but it wasn't so nice to SP.
It gave you ample warning.. Get the heck out of the way, or stay there and risk dieing.. if you do the latter then grow a back bone... you put yourself in that position. I never said they said it was like Katrina.. stop putting words in my mouth. I said you all act as if this was the storm of the century, made it bigger than what it was... and your still doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas