U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:22 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Texans very definately have an accent but I wouldn't call it "Southern" my in-laws are from TN and they have a "Southern" accent. I am from South Texas on the Mexico border and don't really hear any Texas accents there. Of course the majority of the people there speak Spanish as their first language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 05:23 PM

41,284 posts, read 44,080,184 times
Personally I don't think anyone n Texas as a southern accent. At least nothig like those south carolina;alabama accents I use to hear. When I was in the army we use to say butter wouldn't melt in their mouths. They also got most of the women with those accents.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,436,268 times
anyone else notice that when we get all fired up about something, our accents get lots thicker/stronger/twangier?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 PM

550 posts, read 955,612 times
Default Wy Wife!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
anyone else notice that when we get all fired up about something, our accents get lots thicker/stronger/twangier?
My wife say I do. She also says the more I drink the more country I talk. Oh well I'm going to go talk some country.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,436,268 times
yeppers, drinking does that too hee hee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
My wife say I do. She also says the more I drink the more country I talk. Oh well I'm going to go talk some country.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 PM

7,699 posts, read 17,702,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post

Well I took that test awhile back that put me at "Midland" first, then "Western" second, which basically said I'm either from Missouri or a large city in the South US or Texas.

However when I get really pist, I've been told I can get a bit ghetto, street, foul, whatever you wanna call it. I guess I am still a true native.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 PM

36,010 posts, read 18,737,629 times
Default It's Not Me - It's You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
We don't have an accent!! They do!!! LOL
Pipeweld

Ohhhhhh, yeaaaah! Right!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:23 PM

9,785 posts, read 10,817,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Texans very definately have an accent but I wouldn't call it "Southern" my in-laws are from TN and they have a "Southern" accent. I am from South Texas on the Mexico border and don't really hear any Texas accents there. Of course the majority of the people there speak Spanish as their first language.

But...do your in-laws sound like folks from south Alabama or Mississippi? Or south Louisiana?

A west Texas accent is more akin to east Tennessee than either is to either. And both differ from coastal Georgia. Which sounds different from Virginia.

ALL of them though, are properly classified as Southern American English...even if not reflexively considered the stereotypical "Southern accent".

As James Michner (who spent two years in Texas researching the culture while writing his best selling novel "Texas") put it, in so many words...perhaps the most "Southern" influence on Texas is the language. The accent and idiom.

Michner really (and he wrote some memoirs non-fiction on his experiences), concluded he did not consider Texas a totally Southern state...but acknowleged -- and came to appreciate -- that, thru his research, he found it to be much more so than he ever would have first thought when he started out. A major reason -- among many others -- being the dialect and idiom. It was, as he put it "the Deep South moved west."

For all the proud autonomy in legend, "Texas tawk" is just one of many hundreds of a sub-variety of Southern American English.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-30-2008 at 07:57 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 07:48 PM

9,785 posts, read 10,817,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Personally I don't think anyone n Texas as a southern accent. At least nothig like those south carolina;alabama accents I use to hear. When I was in the army we use to say butter wouldn't melt in their mouths. They also got most of the women with those accents.
Here is the thing though, TexDav. You seem to be proceeding from the premise that the Deep South states you mention are the standard of what is a "Southern accent."

They aren't. What is spoken there (and Alabama and South Carolina vary widely between one another, in fact) are just variations of the whole larger picture.

A mountaineer eastern Tenneessean will sound much more like a West Texas small town feller, than he will someone from South Alabama.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-30-2008 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,000 times
Cool What about Cajun Accent?

Down here in South East Texas, we eat gumbo on the bayou and dance to the Zydeco under the spanish moss that hangs from the cypress trees. Cajun life is alive and well. Anyone want a crawfish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas