Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,434,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've been working with a gentleman relocating to Central Texas from Georgia over the past few weeks. Trust me, I have NO difficulty differentiating between his accent and even the Deep East Texas (where I grew up) accent. Not even related to West Texas (which I can also distinguish), or Central Texas (where I currently live), or North Texas (where I lived for some years), or San Antonio (where my husband grew up) and further south.

Just because it's not Yankee or Midwest or West Coast doesn't mean that it's Southern.
That's fine. I really don't what to call it if it is not some derivative of southern dialect, which in my opinion, it is. I doubt there are many Texas folk that want to call it Okie (coming from an Old Okie)...LOL...here's an idea...why don't we just call it Texan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Fine by me - that's my actual preference! The various accents of Texas come from the many contributions (Southern, Mexican, German, the list goes on) of the many cultures that came together to make Texas what it is today. No one culture gets to be "top dog" there, I don't think.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:52 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,505,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
How far west into Texas does that Southern accent extend. The reason I ask this is because a lot of people will argue that east Texas is southern, but that north central and west Texas is not. At least in speech patterns, I'd have to disagree. I've noticed people speaking with southern accents in Abilene, Midland, and Odessa. However, I didn't really notice it in El Paso, as it is primarily Mestizo over there.

So how far westward does the southern accent extend? Does it even extend into southeastern New Mexico?
You are absolutely correct, Scraper. What is properly classified as "Southern American English" extends all the way into west Texas. And even has a bit of a hold in isolated parts of eastern New Mexico (the parts that were mostly settled by Texans).

Here is a good map of it, along with the article link as well:

Southern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Image:Southern American English.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW -- the exeptions are noteable and true, I think (i.e. far northern panhandle and trans-pecos and some of South Texas).

But as to your larger point, while I am far from an expert on the matter, IMHO (brought up in the article), a common misconception when considering the whole topic is that there is a single "Southern accent." There is simply no such thing as a uniform Southern accent.

What there is though, is a part of the country which speaks a dialect and idiom which can be easily distinguished from other sections...and the same recognize the patterns. (a certain twang or drawl, the use of double-modals, y'all, coke for soft-drink, etc...to name to most obvious). It is Southern.

Just as what is spoken in parts of West Texas is generally thought of as the "Texas accent", so has the false notion arisen that a Southern accent is limited to that "moonlight and magnolias plantation accent" usually conjured up when considering the term. Hollywood has a lot to do with this, I might add.

But the truth is different. On the contrary, a Southern accent (Southern American English to be proper about it) has extreme varieties and, verified time after time in linguistic research and studies, those spoken in the vast majority of Texas are properly classified as such. Both in terms of accent and idiom.

The most recent and extensive study ever done on speech in Texas concluded it was one of many sub-varities of Southern American English. Just as is that spoken in other parts of the South which vary widely from the Deep South.

I have posted this before, but I think it says it best. It came from an article in Texas Monthly magazine a few years back...

“The most basic explanation of aTexas accent is that it’s a Southern accent with a twist,” said Professor Bailey, who has determined that the twang is not only spreading but also changing.

“It’s the twist that we’re interested in.” The preeminent scholar on Texas pronunciation, Bailey hails from southern Alabama; he has a soft lilting drawl that, for the sake of economy, will not be phonetically reproduced here but is substantially more genteel and less nasal than Bob Hinkle’s twang.

The broadly defined “Texas accent” began to form, Bailey explained, when two populations merged here in the mid-nineteenth century. Settlers who migrated from Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi brought with them what would later become the Lower South Dialect (its drawl left an imprint on East Texas), while settlers from Tennessee and Kentucky brought with them the South Midland Dialect (its twang had a greater influence in West Texas).

Added to the mix of Anglo settlers from the Deep South and Appalachia who began talking to each other was an established Spanish-speaking population and an influx of Mexican, German, and Czech immigrants. “What distinguishes a Texas accent the most is the confluence of its influences,” said Bailey.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-30-2008 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 03:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
I was wondering why it was taking you so long to show up here and start waving the rebel flag, TexasReb.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
That's fine. I really don't what to call it if it is not some derivative of southern dialect, which in my opinion, it is. I doubt there are many Texas folk that want to call it Okie (coming from an Old Okie)...LOL...here's an idea...why don't we just call it Texan!
LOL. As was brought up in original reply to the OP, you are absolutely correct in your first sentence, my good friend!

That is, what is mostly spoken in Texas (among natives, that is), is only a sub-variety of what is broadly and properly classifed as Southern American English.

In fact, it can't always really be called "Texan" because Texas is such a big state there is no single "Texas accent"! LOL In East Texas, it tends to sound more of that typically thought of as the quintensential "Southern accent". In West Texas, it is more "twangy" and more like that found in the "Mountain South" states of Tennessee, Kentucky and Arkansas. All of which reflect settlement patterns.

But point being, as you say, what the vast majority of native people speak in Texas is Southern in character, influence and evolution. That there are obvious differences in what might be detected as the variety spoken in Mississippi or Alabama, is the same that could be said about parts of Tennesee, Virginia, Arkansas, even coastal Georgia, as well.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-30-2008 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I was wondering why it was taking you so long to show up here and start waving the rebel flag, TexasReb.
LOL Actually, I was trying to figure out if I wanted to make some fried catfish tonight and debating going to get some! So been off line a bit!

But c'mon THL...this aint whistlin' Dixie. I am just passing on what has been well researched in terms of Texas speech patterns. Heck, I was wavin' the Lone Star Flag just as much!

You and I will never agree on certain things, of course, but it is always interesting, fun, and informative to exchange/debate with you!

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-30-2008 at 03:25 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM

52,568 posts, read 47,690,485 times
I thought the southern accent was pretty much all over the state. I've seen it, and I've heard it.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:51 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,218,755 times
Default East Texas accent to the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
How far west into Texas does that Southern accent extend.
It's hard for me to discern a southern accent in west Texas and New Mexico since I originate from deep east Texas. I know many of the cotton farmers out here on the High Plains originally came from eastern Texas when the boll weevil became such a pest. There is no reason to believe that an east to west migration in Texas is not still occurring since there are far fewer people and much more available land out here. And too, as one who does family history in Texas, I recognize many of the family surnames out here as having southeastern U.S. and eastern Texas roots.

One thing is for sure though, education, displacement or travel does not rid some folks of the east Texas accent once it is learned. I've been out of east Texas for forty years, have two degrees, and have traveled around the world and I proudly still have my Pineywoods accent. And when I'm "fixin" to die, someone will say, that old boy was surely from east Texas.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I thought the southern accent was pretty much all over the state. I've seen it, and I've heard it.
Right on, Case. Where I think the confusion comes in is where the stereotypical "Southern accent" of Gone With the Wind, has become thought of as THE Southern accent. When, actually, it is only one of many sub-varities of Southern American English.

Kinda like, to use a semi-analogy, when the landscape of Texas becomes entrenched in American mindset as to be the old western movies. And, when some see the deep lush forests, or the Gulf, or Hill Country, they think, well, that is not REALLY Texas. Even though it IS! LOL

Same, sorta, with a Southern accent. It IS, even if Hollywood myth says otherwise.

And the differences are just as pronounced in Smoky Mountain Tennesee, or low country South Carolina, or aristocratic Virginia, as they are in West Texas...as compared to the deep Deep South. If it is going to be used and established as the independent variable for what is "Southern".

Oh man, still ain't decided about that catfish though...dad gummit! LOL

Old 07-30-2008, 06:08 PM

550 posts, read 1,545,050 times
Question Texas Accent??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
We don't have an accent!! They do!!! LOL
Pipeweld
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas