U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 04:39 PM

23 posts, read 90,183 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a good area in TX to buy some acreage w/or w/out a home (mobile would be ok). We'd like to get at least 20 acres, more would be better. We want to be w/in 15 minutes of shopping and restaurants. AND we don't want to spend too much.

This search has lead us to Abilene. The property there seems more abundant and cheaper than here near the metroplex. My husband is going to go check out the area tomorrow, but I'd like to get some info about the area that can't be figured out by just a day trip.

So, here's my questions...

I see from the city data that Abilene has less humidity and colder/longer winters than the DFW area. How would you compare the summer weather between the two? Does it cool off in Abilene in the evenings? Does it feel any cooler there during the day than it in the DFW metroplex?

I also read that there are dust storms in Abilene. What are they like? How often do they occur?

What areas of Abilene should we avoid if we decide to look at property there? I've read that south Abilene is better than north, is this true? Where are the "bad" areas of town?

My husband is interested in buying houses and renting them out. It seems there'd be a good market there for rentals, considering the military base and colleges. Is there a market for this, or is there an overflow of rental properties there? Also used cars, same question.

Guess that's all for now. Any info at all any of you could give me about Abilene would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to hear anyone's impressions of the area - good or bad.

Thanks,
Sonshine
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 02:18 AM

81 posts, read 334,239 times
This http://www.ersys.com/usa/48/4801000/index.htm is a link to a website with some useful Abilene information.

The "Income" section has a median household income map of Abilene which might interest you: http://www.ersys.com/usa/48/4801000/income.htm

Old 01-27-2007, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,683 times
If you are just coming to Abilene to buy property, yes we do have many homes available to purchase and turn into rental property, and there are those that will take care of your property when you leave Abilene. If you are coming to Abilene to raise your children ... yes we have good schools and programs for them, I have three grown sons that went to these schools, they still live here and their children are going to Abilene's schools. Retirement cost are not as much as the larger cities, of course not.
BUT, if you are coming to Abilene to enjoy culture, the arts, great shopping, diverse things to do ... do not come here. I grew up here and when I need a "fix" of fast living I go to Austin, San Antonio, Denver, NYC or Winnipeg. I love/hate Abilene, as so many of us do that will admit it.
Good luck.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 AM

7 posts, read 37,115 times
Default Lived in Abilene for 13 years...

There isn't a difference climate wise to Dallas...it's hot and stays hot even at night during the summer.

It is pretty green in spring, but as soon as summer hits, everything is brown and ugly. Rarely do the leaves change color in the fall, and there are quite a few days in the 100s or at least high 90s in the summer, and it's rarely humid. Abilene is great for families. It's safe, family oriented, cheap, and has a small town mentality (and very small minded). If you aren't religious (christian) or you're liberal, you won't fit in here. The first question people ask you, after your name, is what church do you go to? The Church of Christ runs everything here, and it seems that they are determine to make the town unprosperous and without fun. Basically the only thing to do here for adults/teenagers is go to church, out to eat (no really fancy restaurants), and shop. If you smoke, you should be aware that they just passed a smoking ban. There are 3 good universities here and the schools are decent (and they are VERY much the sports enthusiasts). East texas is much better from what I've heard. Very green and not too humid (compared to San Antonio). Oh, and if you're afraid of bugs, don't come here. At night, this area has monstrous bugs everywhere.

If you are planning on buying land in the more rural areas, be careful...there are plenty of rattlesnakes about.

Yes, we get dust storms, maybe 2 a summer? It's red dust and it gets everywhere. And I agree with Silanna...there is no culture.
As soon as your kids are old enough they will want to leave. It's amazing...with 3 universities, there is still nothing for young people to do.

South side is better, more stores and everything, but more expensive and conjested (by Abilene standards).

Last edited by texgal24; 01-31-2007 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas