Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 05:49 PM

420 posts, read 705,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
That list is hilarious. I've been to summer games at GlobeLife aka the SweatPark at Arlington. Minute Maid Park is a MUCH better facility, in a MUCH better location. It's quite funny to me that you give GlobeLife the advantage due in some part to its size and then a couple of paragraphs down speak about quantity not equaling quality. Minute Maid vs. Globe Life is a perfect example of that.
When part of the experience of a sporting event is being rowdy, loud, and getting involved in the actual game, yes, more is better. That is different than saying having more theater seats is better when your experience at a play has no way of improving whether you're sitting next to 300 people or 200 people. And as I said to TexasTallest, baseball was meant to be played outside. Being hot outside hasn't stopped the Rangers from having better attendance.

Quote:
That list is using fan support as a part of the criteria used to rank the stadiums. Well duh, the Astros have sucked more than the Rangers lately.
I posted the first link from Google. There were others, but I'm not going to spend the time posting every link I can find.

Quote:
If Houston had a hockey team it would play in Toyota Center. Toyota Center already exists. So what's your point?
My point is Dallas has more professional sports than Houston, which is an edge in and of itself. Professional Hockey fans have nowhere to watch hockey in Houston. Where would Houstonians go if they want to watch a live Sprint Cup Series event in NASCAR? They wouldn't. Or they'd drive to DFW.

Quote:
I agree that AAC has a better exterior design, but the game is watched inside and they are both amazing facilities from that standpoint. It is also the only major stadium that's actually in Dallas, which makes a huge difference. A true sports fan in Houston can live in a place like the Lofts at the Ballpark and be a stone's throw away from MLB, MLS, and the NBA.

Nothing in DFW can compare to that. If you want to watch soccer, go 20 miles north to Frisco. If you want to catch a football or baseball game - go 20 miles west. Not the same scene.
And yet 99.9999% of people in Houston don't live in the Lofts at the Ballpark, so that doesn't apply to most people. Most people in Houston, regardless of the stadiums' locations, drive to the stadiums, no different than Dallas. And Houston is just as sprawled and large as Dallas. There are people who live in apartments walking distance to Cowboys Stadium and Globe Life Park, too. I agree that it's a plus having a bunch stadiums in one location, but it's not as big of a deal as Houstonians make it out to be. I do agree that both the Toyota Center and AAC are pretty amazing and not far apart on the inside.

Last edited by RayStokes; 08-26-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 05:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Current Zillow MLS listings $1M+:

Houston Metro: 647

Houston-461
The Woodlands-43
Bellaire-34
West University Place-34
Sugar Land-29
Bunker Hill Village-24
Piney Point-21
Cinco Ranch-1

Dallas Metro: 837 (not including Fort Worth's 49)

Dallas-341
University Park-82
Highland Park-70
Southlake-57
Frisco-49
Plano-44
Colleyville-34
Westlake-28
Flower Mound-27
Irving-16
McKinney-14
Keller-12
Coppell-5
Celina-4
Lewisville-4
Highland Village-3
Prosper-3
Allen-2
Trophy Club-2
Garland-1
Grapevine-1
Richardson-1
The Colony-1

However, if only comparing Houston vs Dallas proper:

Houston (2,195,914 people): 461
Dallas (1,257,676): 341

Divide Dallas' population into Houston's and multiply that percentage by the city of Houston's homes listed over $1M and you get 264.

∴ on a level playing field, the city of Dallas should have 264 homes listed over $1M.

For a city with 938,238 more residents than the city of Dallas...Houston's current MLS listings over $1M is nothing to run home about.
All this tells me is that millionaires are selling their homes in DFW at a faster rate than in Metro Houston . Combine that with the graphic TT posted from the CNN website and the only logical conclusion is that people are selling expensive homes in DFW and buying them in Houston. I guess they're tierd of living around all those uppity Billionaires lol

Old 08-26-2014, 05:53 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
When part of the experience of a sporting event is being rowdy, loud, and getting involved in the actual game, yes, more is better. That is different than saying having more theater seats is better when your experience at a play has no way of improving whether you're sitting next to 300 people or 200 people. And as I said to TexasTallest, baseball was meant to be played outside. Being hot outside hasn't stopped the Rangers from having better attendance.

I posted the first link from Google. There were others, but I'm not going to spend the time posting every link I can find.

My point is Dallas has more professional sports than Houston, which is an edge in and of itself. Professional Hockey Fans have nowhere to watch hockey in Houston. Where would Houstonians go if they want to watch a live Sprint Cup Series event in NASCAR? They'd wouldn't. Or they'd drive to DFW.

And yet 99.9999% of people in Houston don't live in the Lofts at the Ballpark, so that doesn't apply to most people. Most people in Houston, regardless of the stadiums' locations, drive to the stadiums, no different than Dallas. And Houston is just as sprawled and large as Dallas. There are people who live in apartments walking distance to Cowboys Stadium and Globe Life Park, too. I agree that it's a plus having a bunch stadiums in one location, but it's not as big of a deal as Houstonians make it out to be.
Yep. Why does the largest city in Texas NOT have NHL or Nascar, the way DFW does? Kind of sad......

Old 08-26-2014, 05:56 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
According to whom? And what about it is better? They are both very nice. But Toyota Center is newer.
I hate to admit it but i was really unimpressed with the design of Toyota Center when it was built. It always left me with the impression that it was unfinished. I always thought the color scheme of the building was butt ugly and I pray all the time for the day they announce a remodeling. Architecturely, very underwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Yep. Why does the largest city in Texas NOT have NHL or Nascar, the way DFW does? Kind of sad......
Means nothing. Los Angeles hasn't had a professional football team for years. So I guess you can ex them forever off your valid city list too.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:56 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Current Zillow MLS listings $1M+:

Houston Metro: 647

Houston-461
The Woodlands-43
Bellaire-34
West University Place-34
Sugar Land-29
Bunker Hill Village-24
Piney Point-21
Cinco Ranch-1

Dallas Metro: 837 (not including Fort Worth's 49)

Dallas-341
University Park-82
Highland Park-70
Southlake-57
Frisco-49
Plano-44
Colleyville-34
Westlake-28
Flower Mound-27
Irving-16
McKinney-14
Keller-12
Coppell-5
Celina-4
Lewisville-4
Highland Village-3
Prosper-3
Allen-2
Trophy Club-2
Garland-1
Grapevine-1
Richardson-1
The Colony-1

However, if only comparing Houston vs Dallas proper:

Houston (2,195,914 people): 461
Dallas (1,257,676): 341

Divide Dallas' population into Houston's and multiply that percentage by the city of Houston's homes listed over $1M and you get 264.

∴ on a level playing field, the city of Dallas should have 264 homes listed over $1M.

For a city with 938,238 more residents than the city of Dallas...Houston's current MLS listings over $1M is nothing to run home about.
I looked on Zillow now and saw five listings in Katy and eighteen listings in Cypress. I'm sure there's other Houston area suburbs that you missed.

Regardless, I think this is a poor way to attempt to prove your point. I'd like to see some compiled statistics and I suspect on a metro to metro level, high-end home sales aren't overly different.

The median housing price statistics (almost exactly the same between the two) support that hypothesis. I doubt there is any meaningful difference when aggregated over a full year.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
NHL and NASCAR, two notoriously racist organizations would of course feel more comfortable in DFW.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:01 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
NHL and NASCAR, two notoriously racist organizations would of course feel more comfortable in DFW.
Oh goodness.....HOUSTON JUST LOST......the last gasping breath of a debate is always the "race card". But to label an entire sport as racist, well, that comes across as pretty biggoted and racist in of itself.....the more posts I see, the more I KNOW Houston falls far behind DFW. Poor Houston....always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

Last edited by gsupstate; 08-26-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
You do realize you are comparing a city to a metro, right? Kind of sad... DFW is a bigger metro than greater Houston.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Oh goodness.....HOUSTON JUST LOST......the last gasping breath of a debate is always the "race card". But to label an entire sport as racist, well, that comes across as pretty biggoted and racist in of itself.....the more post I see, the more I KNOW Houston falls far behind DFW. Poor Houston....always the bridesmaid, never the bride.
I said racist organizations not sports. Auto racing and even Hockey are fine sports, but those two organizations tend to cater to bigots.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
LOL. Typical Houstonian. You're moving your goal posts. First of all, you claimed Houston had the most expensive neighborhoods. This link lists incomes, nothing to do with home prices. Also, your list only shows counties and municipalities. Piney Point is its own municipality. Preston Hollow is not and is averaged in with the rest of Dallas. Your "list" is completely meaningless and useless in this comparison.

Says an article over 1 year old. I actually posted a link to current homes on the market, not an article about homes for sale in June of 2013. And, again, you're moving goalposts. You said "most expensive/exclusive," not "most $1 million homes." $1 million is a lot of money, but not exactly exclusive and unattainable for a house in 2014. There are tons of them in several neighborhoods in both cities. I'm having a hard time understanding if you're being intentionally dishonest or if you're not smart enough to understand the differences between what you're trying to argue and what you're linking as proof.

And Cowboys Stadium will still be newer, have better bones/structure, more seating, look more modern, and be talked about more around the NFL as evidenced by hosting more important non-NFL events such as one of the premiere college bowl and the first ever NCAA Football Playoff National Championship. And haven't Houstonians spent the past 5 years making fun of Jerry Jones's giant screen? Now you want to copy him. Typical.

Which is all it is, by two meaningless years (2003 compared to 2001). Most people like the AAC more. It is more aesthetically pleasing, bigger, and Toyota Center has nothing like Victory Plaza.

Agreed. Congrats. You're one for three so far.

It's newer and more sterile. Globe Life feels like a classic, historic ballpark with more in common with the greats such as Fenway and Wrigley. Globe Life has been praised by MLB commentators and opposing visitors while Minute Maid is just another park. And baseball shouldn't be played inside.

This is not even a sports arena, so I'm not sure why you're discussing it. And it's essentially a cloned rip off of the Gexa Energy Center. But congrats on it being newer, I guess.

Yes, I was saying you're full of crap.
Lol. You praise JerryWorld for being newer, with "better bones", ect, then try to write Toyota Center off for only being exactly what you said about JW.

Dallasites talk down on Houston's humidity (lol) and then talk down when we play baseball inside so it can be more comfortable?

No it's not a sports arena, but it's the major entertainment venue for other performances.

Lol. I thought I had heard it all. Did you just hate on something from Houston for being "sterile"? Doh..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas