Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 07:03 PM

10 posts, read 15,586 times

Advertisements

Just curious - I know that they are both humungous international cities, however which city (specifically city limits, not speaking about the suburbs/metro) has more of a feeling that you're defintely in Texas/the South. By this I mean the accents, conservatism/importance of religion, architecture, and landscape.

The only Texas city I have been too which felt like it could have easily been on the West Coast. It was a nice place and if I was younger, single, and in a different industry it would be a consideration...but besides the fact that it is the Capitol city of Texas, there was nothing discernibly southern about the place.

Also, of Dallas and Houston (again, city limits only) which has the most Hispanic/Mexican influence? Both in the culture of the city and the background of the residents.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 PM

6,263 posts, read 7,423,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsraeliAmerican View Post
Just curious - I know that they are both humungous international cities, however which city (specifically city limits, not speaking about the suburbs/metro) has more of a feeling that you're defintely in Texas/the South. By this I mean the accents, conservatism/importance of religion, architecture, and landscape.

The only Texas city I have been too which felt like it could have easily been on the West Coast. It was a nice place and if I was younger, single, and in a different industry it would be a consideration...but besides the fact that it is the Capitol city of Texas, there was nothing discernibly southern about the place.

Also, of Dallas and Houston (again, city limits only) which has the most Hispanic/Mexican influence? Both in the culture of the city and the background of the residents.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble on this but posters from both cities are probably going to distance themselves from being either Southern or Texan. If history is of any importance to you then Houston would have the edge on both fronts. If 20th century western mythology is important then DFW will have the edge.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:45 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,800,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I'm sorry to burst your bubble on this but posters from both cities are probably going to distance themselves from being either Southern or Texan.
Probably true about the posters here (especially the Southern part), but that isn't representative of most Texans. I don't think you'll find anyone in Texas that distances themselves from Texas... even in Austin, you might find lots of disagreement with the political leanings of the state but they are still very proud Texans.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:05 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,568,956 times
You know, there is such a thing as a liberal Texan. It's nothing new either. No matter what stereotype you're force-fed by the media, there isn't some rule that in order to be a "true" Texan you have to have a thick accent, drive a pickup truck, work in the oil biz, be a god-fearin', gun-totin' christian and vote GOP across the board.

People need to get over this tired ****.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:07 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,710,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Well this thread is just as silly as always. Glad that hasn't changed.
lol The same 6-7 homers are still bickering, people need to get out more often.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Probably true about the posters here (especially the Southern part), but that isn't representative of most Texans. I don't think you'll find anyone in Texas that distances themselves from Texas... even in Austin, you might find lots of disagreement with the political leanings of the state but they are still very proud Texans.
I agree but people will point to the cosmopolitan aspects of both metro's and how that image differs from the traditional view of what being a Texan or a Texan city is about. I have argued on this forum to no avail that Houston is one of the most "Texan" cities in the state, and have been smacked down by not only other Texans but Houstonians as well. So I'm just going by previous experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
You know, there is such a thing as a liberal Texan. It's nothing new either. No matter what stereotype you're force-fed by the media, there isn't some rule that in order to be a "true" Texan you have to have a thick accent, drive a pickup truck, work in the oil biz, be a god-fearin', gun-totin' christian and vote GOP across the board.

People need to get over this tired ****.
I agree Texas does have a fine history of progressive individuals as well. It was Jessie Jones who ran FDR's Reconstruction Finance Corporation 1932-1945 and it was Sam Rayburn who was speaker of the house that got the "New Deal" passed by congress. Then came LBJ and Lloyd Benson , Barbara Jordan and Ann Richards. The list goes on and on. Unfortunately nobody of this caliber has come forth in recent Texas history

Last edited by Jack Lance; 01-03-2015 at 06:48 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 06:40 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,800,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I agree but people will point to the cosmopolitan aspects of both metro's and how that image differs from the traditional view of what being a Texan or a Texan city is about. I have argued on this forum to no avail that Houston is one of the most "Texan" cities in the state, and have been smacked down by not only other Texans but Houstonians as well. So I'm just going by previous experience.
People on this forum may do that. But in real life, it's just a handful of folks who will obsess about whether their city is more "cosmopolitan" than another. And an even smaller number will argue that their city is less Texan than another.

In the real world, more people care about their football team than any of the topics discussed on this thread.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
People on this forum may do that. But in real life, it's just a handful of folks who will obsess about whether their city is more "cosmopolitan" than another. And an even smaller number will argue that their city is less Texan than another.

In the real world, more people care about their football team than any of the topics discussed on this thread.
I know, but the question was asked on this forum !

Old 01-04-2015, 12:27 PM

14 posts, read 30,952 times
Default Which is Truly bigger Dallas or Houston?

I know this is long, but this appears to be a hot topic among Texans and a few other curious Non-Texan Americans. I am originally from Florida, but I have been living in Houston since 2000. Therefore, I will try my best not to be bias in this comparison of the populations of Houston and Dallas. Comparing the populations of major cities in the U.S can be a bit tricky and misleading. There are several ways to compare populations such as: comparing the density of an area, populations within a city limit, populations of a county, and the population of an entire metropolitan area. When you look at the population of an entire metro area; the twelve county Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington metropolitan area (est. 2014/ 6,971,597 people) is larger than the 9 county Houston-The Woodland-Sugarland Metropolitan area (est. 2014, 6,473,316 people), which is a seriously misleading and unfair comparison. However, I also believe that comparing the population of the city limits of an entire city alone is also misleading and unfair. For example, Jacksonville, FL is said to be the largest city in Florida with a population of 821,784, and Miami is only said to have a population of 417,650. However, when you visit both cities, Miami feels a lot larger and is far more urban than its counterpart Jacksonville. The fact is that Jacksonville’s 874.3 square miles of city limits take up the majority of Duval county’s total land area; whereas the city Miami only consist of 35 square miles, and it’s population does not include the population and size of several other cities in Dade county such as, Miami Beach, Miami Lakes, Opa Locka, Carol City, Liberty city, Miami Gardens, etc. if Miami’s surrounding areas were included in its population it would dwarf the population Jacksonville. Therefore, I will compare the sizes of Houston, and Dallas by using a metric that includes each respective city’s square mileage, population, density, and surrounding suburban areas of the county that each city resides in. Dallas, TX is said to be the 3rd largest city in Texas following both San Antonio and Houston. If one were to look at city population alone there would be no comparison, but again, city population by itself is very misleading. Just like my Jacksonville/Miami example, Dallas is clearly more densely populated and more urban than San Antonio; therefore, I’ll leave San Antonio out of the conversation. The city of Dallas alone consists of approximately 343 square miles land; and had a 2013 estimated population of 1,257,676, with a population density of 3,645 people per square mile. Dallas County as a whole is approximately 871.28 square miles, and contained a 2013 population of 2,480,331 with a density of 2,718 people per square mile. Houston on the other hand, is noted as the largest city in Texas, and the 4th largest city in the U.S. Houston recently grew from 599 square miles to around 655 square miles with its latest annexation of the Kingwood area, and its 2013 population was approximately 2,195,914, with a population density of 3,623 people per square mile. Harris County as a whole is approximately 1,703.48 square miles, and contained a 2013 population of 4,336,853 with a density of 2,402 people per square mile. Both Houston and Harris County are larger in both size and population, when compared to both Dallas and Dallas County, but Dallas and Dallas County is slightly more densely populated, which makes it a little more crowded. However, the density does not include the Houston ship channel, nor the numerous lakes, rivers or bayous of either city. I have been to Dallas a few times since I’ve been in Texas, and both cities are massive and spread out. However, Houston still feels bigger and is obviously more urban and developed, and contains larger freeways, a bigger downtown with taller buildings, and multiple skylines far away from downtown within its city limits. Dallas’ downtown is prettier at night with the lighting of their buildings, but not that impressive during the day, which is my personal opinion. DFW is the larger metro area only because it contains more counties 12, compared to Houston Metros 9 counties, and also benefits by containing Ft. Worth (pop. 792,727), which is another separate major city in a separate county (Tarrant) within its vicinity. Never the less, Houston is clearly the larger of the two cities, and Harris county is the larger of the two counties. In-fact, if you combine the land area and populations of both Dallas and Ft. Worth; they would contain a total of 2,050,403 people covering 682 square miles, which still falls short to Houston’s population of 2,195,914 covering only 655 square miles. And to top it off, Houston would still contain more skyscrapers than both cities combined. In order, for Dallas to top the city of Houston’s population, you would have to combine both Arlington and Ft. Worth (both in Tarrant County), which would give a total population of 2,429,980 covering 777 square miles. Harris County, which consists of Houston and the majority of its suburbs is larger than Dallas County including Dallas and its neighboring suburbs Making Houston larger. You would have to combine both Dallas and Tarrant Counties (pop. 2,480,331 and 1,928,056 respectively) totaling 4,408,331, to top Harris County’s lone population of 4,336,853. However, Harris County would top DWF’s two largest counties by merely adding Houston’s Sugarland, which borders Houston, without having to including the entire County of Brazoria. To sum it up, Houston is clearly the larger of the Two Cities in land area, city limit population, population of true surrounding suburbs, and by having more urban business development within the area.

Last edited by tonyp709; 01-04-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 02:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,878,759 times
Wow, try using paragraphs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas