Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 10:43 AM

355 posts, read 469,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
downtown Dallas definitely did more to revitalize their neighborhood than downtown Houston in the 2000's, but the 2010's have been Houstons time to shine.
Downtown Dallas at its present time could be doing more than it did in the 2000's. Before, developers were skeptical on the quantity of residential units, but now you have them fully loading these buildings with amenities. Another big sign is the kind of retail that is coming.

It's obvious Houston is putting far more new construction, but overall construction may be a wash because I consider repurposing a structure as construction too. And renovations are far more subtle with their building practices.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Downtown Dallas at its present time could be doing more than it did in the 2000's. Before, developers were skeptical on the quantity of residential units, but now you have them fully loading these buildings with amenities. Another big sign is the kind of retail that is coming.

It's obvious Houston is putting far more new construction, but overall construction may be a wash because I consider repurposing a structure as construction too. And renovations are far more subtle with their building practices.
I agree dt Dallas is doing more now than it was in the 2000s. I meant downtown Dallas was doing more than downtown Houston in the 2000s, while downtown Houston is redeveloping more than downtown Dallas now (the 2010s).

As for the latter paragraph, that's obvious. The tallest building going up in dt Dallss is what, 18 stories? There are 9 towers going up in downtown Houston taller than that.. Including the tallest building built in Texas since 1987. Not sure what you were getting at with the renovations being "more subtle with their building practices"..?

Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 PM

379 posts, read 366,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I agree dt Dallas is doing more now than it was in the 2000s. I meant downtown Dallas was doing more than downtown Houston in the 2000s, while downtown Houston is redeveloping more than downtown Dallas now (the 2010s).

As for the latter paragraph, that's obvious. The tallest building going up in dt Dallss is what, 18 stories? There are 9 towers going up in downtown Houston taller than that.. Including the tallest building built in Texas since 1987. Not sure what you were getting at with the renovations being "more subtle with their building practices"..?
He means that, for example, there's a 52 story residential development under construction right now in downtown Dallas that's rumored to be in talks with a large grocery store. It's going to be a HUGE deal, game changer for the whole district. No one's making a big deal out of it. Why? It's a renovation.

1401 Elm developer confirms talks with two ‘upscale grocers’ and other high-end retailers | | Dallas Morning News

Developer unveils gameplan for Dallas' 1401 Elm St. - Dallas Business Journal

Old 05-01-2015, 02:12 PM

355 posts, read 469,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
He means that, for example, there's a 52 story residential development under construction right now in downtown Dallas that's rumored to be in talks with a large grocery store. It's going to be a HUGE deal, game changer for the whole district. No one's making a big deal out of it. Why? It's a renovation.

1401 Elm developer confirms talks with two ‘upscale grocers’ and other high-end retailers | | Dallas Morning News

Exactly, f4shionablecha0s. Sorry if I wasn't too clear with my statement, TT, so I'll try to elaborate.

A new structure in Houston can be seen under construction without even being in the neighborhood. Cranes are a sign. I wouldn't have known if the Statler Hilton project was going on or not, unless I was on Commerce Street.

Another example. I had absolutely no clue that the One Main Place demolished the interior space to put the Marriott Hotel inside, even while I was in downtown. I saw an article on the Dallas Morning News stating that. Also, the Class-B office space will be completely renovated and will become nice Class-A spaces.

There are several projects like 1401 Elm and One Main that will revitalize downtown Dallas. These are empty shells right now, completely useless. However, the commercial vacancy inventory is about to drop because literally every large vacant structure in downtown is being repurposed to a residential/mixed use development.

Right now, developers want to pack lots of amenities into them so in about a year or two, they won't be so useless. These will become places to go now. Game changers that will instantly change the streetscape once they become fully operational. This doesn't even include the overall changing environment of central Dallas. As each and every year pass, the neighborhoods will build up and become a more cohesive core. But like I said earlier, Houston is definitely doing an immense revitalization of the core. It's actually quite remarkable when I go visit Houston and see it.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:23 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
3,600 downtown residents as of 2015 in Houston according to that article

5,291 downtown residents as of 2010 in Dallas according to the census
Didn't Dallas redraw their downtown boundaries about 5 years or so ago which actually skewed the population numbers a little?

Old 05-01-2015, 09:01 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Didn't Dallas redraw their downtown boundaries about 5 years or so ago which actually skewed the population numbers a little?
Yes they did but those numbers are only for the central business district. If they counted the residents in the new expanded area it would be more like 20 or 25 thousand.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:56 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yes they did but those numbers are only for the central business district. If they counted the residents in the new expanded area it would be more like 20 or 25 thousand.
That's not what I remember reading. The new boundaries didn't only include the traditional CBD. It also included some parts of the surrounding areas too which did give it somewhat of a boost.

Houston could have easily done that as well since there are actually more people living within a 5 mile radius.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:18 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,820 times
D-FW housing market rated hottest in the nation by Realtor.com
Steve Brown
May 1, 2015

Quote:
The Dallas-Fort Worth area has the hottest housing market in the country, according to a new report by Realtor.com.

Analysts rated the top markets in April based on demand for housing and how long it takes to sell a property.

After the D-FW area, other cities near the top of the 15 hot housing markets list include Santa Rosa, Calif.; Denver; Boston and San Diego.
Full Article

Old 05-02-2015, 02:37 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,563,513 times
Quote:

sorry downtown Houstons vacancy rate is about 3-4 times as low as downtown Dallas'..? and congrats on the potential grocery store. downtown Houston has a 28,000 sq ft Phonecia..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Exactly, f4shionablecha0s. Sorry if I wasn't too clear with my statement, TT, so I'll try to elaborate.

A new structure in Houston can be seen under construction without even being in the neighborhood. Cranes are a sign. I wouldn't have known if the Statler Hilton project was going on or not, unless I was on Commerce Street.

Another example. I had absolutely no clue that the One Main Place demolished the interior space to put the Marriott Hotel inside, even while I was in downtown. I saw an article on the Dallas Morning News stating that. Also, the Class-B office space will be completely renovated and will become nice Class-A spaces.

There are several projects like 1401 Elm and One Main that will revitalize downtown Dallas. These are empty shells right now, completely useless. However, the commercial vacancy inventory is about to drop because literally every large vacant structure in downtown is being repurposed to a residential/mixed use development.

Right now, developers want to pack lots of amenities into them so in about a year or two, they won't be so useless. These will become places to go now. Game changers that will instantly change the streetscape once they become fully operational. This doesn't even include the overall changing environment of central Dallas. As each and every year pass, the neighborhoods will build up and become a more cohesive core. But like I said earlier, Houston is definitely doing an immense revitalization of the core. It's actually quite remarkable when I go visit Houston and see it.
ah, i see that. i still stay by my original comment about downtown Houston.

25 developments currently under construction (including a handful of renovations..), totaling billions dollars. tripling the residential population, adding 2 new light rail lines, building dedicated bike lanes, building new hike/bike trails along Buffalo Bayou, redeveloping the entire convention district, and developing a brand new retail district, to name a few..

http://downtownhouston.org/site_medi...ders_11X17.pdf

both cities downtowns have bright futures, that is for sure.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:00 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:

Yeah this is what I saw Dallas as in the 2000s. They renovated many empty buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas