Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,884 times

Advertisements

I guess it will always be a matter of opinion. I randomly moved from Phoenix, az to Houston after a quest for a better place brought me here.

I seriously looked at Dallas too. I think that the reason i ultimately chose Houston is because it seems greener. After living in the desert for 11 years I wanter to be around trees, water, green grass etc..

Believe me, I was very concerned about economic viability too as well as quality of life. I liked the Northern Dallas suburbs which seem to be a nice place to live. I also liked the North and West/ Southwest side of Houston all the way from Woodlands to Sugar Land.

Houston seems more urban and Dallas a bit more upscale in the Northern half of the Metroplex. Houston has that whole industrial, refinery, oil thing to it which I guess most people don't like. Dallas has in a lot of places a real plainsy, flat, treeless feel to it kind of like your out in the wheat fields of Kansas or something wherever there is no man made landscaping installed.

Houston has Beaches and more water around, more natural landscape. Dallas has a lot of nice man made lakes and scenery.

Can anybody expound on this with anything that is outright obvious?? Aything that may make a big difference in how someone views the 2 areas??

Old 07-29-2009, 07:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I guess it will always be a matter of opinion. I randomly moved from Phoenix, az to Houston after a quest for a better place brought me here.

I seriously looked at Dallas too. I think that the reason i ultimately chose Houston is because it seems greener. After living in the desert for 11 years I wanter to be around trees, water, green grass etc..

Believe me, I was very concerned about economic viability too as well as quality of life. I liked the Northern Dallas suburbs which seem to be a nice place to live. I also liked the North and West/ Southwest side of Houston all the way from Woodlands to Sugar Land.

Houston seems more urban and Dallas a bit more upscale in the Northern half of the Metroplex. Houston has that whole industrial, refinery, oil thing to it which I guess most people don't like. Dallas has in a lot of places a real plainsy, flat, treeless feel to it kind of like your out in the wheat fields of Kansas or something wherever there is no man made landscaping installed.

Houston has Beaches and more water around, more natural landscape. Dallas has a lot of nice man made lakes and scenery.

Can anybody expound on this with anything that is outright obvious?? Aything that may make a big difference in how someone views the 2 areas??
I think you just about covered the obvious differences between the two areas. Houston is where the East Texas Piney Woods meets the Gulf Coast. Dallas is in the Prairie & Lakes region where vegetation tends to be sparse & of short variety with a flat landscape for the most part except for a few areas in South Dallas.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
If you think Dallas flat what then is Houston?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:45 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post

If you knew every lake in Texas was created by man except for Caddo Lake!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas is flat for the most part along with the rest of North Texas. I just got back from Cali. & when I was flying into Dallas I certainly didn't see any hills from the air. Maybe the captain pointed them out & I just wasn't listening? Yes, Houston is flat, as were some parts of LA especially around Long Beach...thats coastal living for you.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas is flat for the most part along with the rest of North Texas. I just got back from Cali. & when I was flying into Dallas I certainly didn't see any hills from the air. Maybe the captain pointed them out & I just wasn't listening? Yes, Houston is flat, as were some parts of LA especially around Long Beach...thats coastal living for you.
Funny, I did the same thing last month. You definitely can tell the difference between the two. Dallas is flat by most standards. Houston is even flatter. Dallas is more "rolling" than anything (aside from SW Dallas County).

Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 PM

101 posts, read 295,911 times
Smile Please is there anydefinitive between Dallas and Houston

Yes they are both kind of flat but is there any thing that makes a big difference between the two?? anything definitive and clear?? You know like Hawaii is paradise and Nome Alaska is Freezing or like the difference between L.A and New York etc.. There is a big difference between Seattle and Miami or San Diego and Boston But is there any really big difference between Dallas and Houston?? Are they pretty much the same??

Old 07-31-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josehernandez017 View Post
Yes they are both kind of flat but is there any thing that makes a big difference between the two?? anything definitive and clear?? You know like Hawaii is paradise and Nome Alaska is Freezing or like the difference between L.A and New York etc.. There is a big difference between Seattle and Miami or San Diego and Boston But is there any really big difference between Dallas and Houston?? Are they pretty much the same??
Yes

Houston has palm trees, pine trees, & old Live Oaks with Spanish Moss hanging from the limbs.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:37 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
That's what one could call pancake flat.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:39 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yes

Houston has palm trees, pine trees, & old Live Oaks with Spanish Moss hanging from the limbs.
Sounds like a swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas