Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Its not opinion that the ethnic makeup is virutally identical. Please refer to the charts below.

Houston is more international. No arguement. Dallas is still extremely international as well. As I also mentioned, DFW is gaining ground on them. DFW went from 15% foreign born to 17.5% foreign born in 7 years, whereas Houston has remained at just below 21% the whole time. Who knows where DFW will be in the next 10 years? Over 20% foreign born the stats indicate. Then if trends are the same, they will be equal. But we dont know what the future will bring so I wont speculate. Right now, Houston MSA has 1.2 million foreign born residents and DFW has 1.1 million residents.

Also you guys should chill about Dallas and Fort Worth being in the same MSA. If you think Dallas should thank Fort Worth for the population, maybe Houston should thank all those suburbs it swallowed up. Either way, city limit lines are meaningless, only MSA and CSA numbers tell the whole story for the area.

Also, something else you guys should think about is that the Houston MSA has more land area than the DFW MSA. The Houston MSA is 10,062 sq. miles while the DFW MSA is 9,286 sq. miles. That mean there are less people living in a larger amount of land in Southeast Texas and more people living in a smaller area of land in the Metroplex. So city lines mean squat when you guys have more land to work with and still have fewer people.
Now exclude the water....

Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
It baffles me how some pro-Houston forumers arbitrarily claim Dallas needs Fort Worth for a population boost, yet dismiss the fact that Houston's city limits contain 194 more square miles than Dallas'. Alot can fit into that amount of additional milage; like, the nation's 6th largest city Philadelphia (135 sq miles).

I guess for Houston it's just pure happenstance?
Uh....we're talking about metro areas. Houston is all by itself, while Dallas has Fort Worth to help out. Oh, and even with Houston's large square mileage, it's denser than Dallas.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Also you guys should chill about Dallas and Fort Worth being in the same MSA. If you think Dallas should thank Fort Worth for the population, maybe Houston should thank all those suburbs it swallowed up. Either way, city limit lines are meaningless, only MSA and CSA numbers tell the whole story for the area.
No one was talking about city limits. And what suburbs did Houston swallow up besides Kingwood and Clear Lake? Houston is actually releasing some of its ETJ to other unincorporated areas (for example, The Woodlands will be a city in a few years).

Quote:
Also, something else you guys should think about is that the Houston MSA has more land area than the DFW MSA. The Houston MSA is 10,062 sq. miles while the DFW MSA is 9,286 sq. miles. That mean there are less people living in a larger amount of land in Southeast Texas and more people living in a smaller area of land in the Metroplex. So city lines mean squat when you guys have more land to work with and still have fewer people.
Nah.

Southeast Texas counties are larger. Just look at Harris County! If you go by urbanized areas (where you have to have a certain density for however many miles), Houston is denser than DFW.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:42 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
D/FW may have an edge in population numbers simply because of Dallas' favorite little sister 30 miles west, Ft. Worth.

I've been told so many times & by so many people Houston "feels" like a much larger city/area. I think part of this comes from all the mega wide freeways & feeder roads with businesses continuously lined up & down them. Having much taller buildings in the city overall too contributes to how people perceive the city.

Case in point D/FW is only larger by a good 600,000 people...hardly enough worth bragging about unless its to put Houston down.

The overall ethnic makeup/vibe you get in Houston too just makes it feel more "big city" like LA.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:52 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The only reason we aren't the top of the population growth metros is that we had our growth in the '80s, way before Dallas and Atlanta were even a thought in people's minds. Of course the other two cities big industry--headquarters location--is a very volatile industry, very fickle with moving around the world. Corporate Headquarters can be done anywhere. Look for ExxonMobil to move from Irving to Downtown Houston in a few years.
Houston has never shown a propensity to attract big corprate headquarters outside of the energy sector.

About your ExxonMobil remark. I doubt that, ExxonMobil recently moved into new digs in Las Colinas. Any rumors of a Houston relcation have been laid to rest.

But anything is possible. Maybe ExxonMobil will take the office space Continental vacates when their headquarters consolidate with United's in Chicago a few years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Uh....we're talking about metro areas. Houston is all by itself, while Dallas has Fort Worth to help out. Oh, and even with Houston's large square mileage, it's denser than Dallas.
Houston is 'by itself' yet still covers more area than DFW with 600K less residents. Sounds like a greater amount of sprawl.

Last edited by First24; 08-17-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 08-17-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Houston has never shown a propensity to attract big corprate headquarters outside of the energy sector.

About your ExxonMobil remark. I doubt that, ExxonMobil recently moved into new digs in Las Colinas. Any rumors of a Houston relcation have been laid to rest.

But anything is possible. Maybe ExxonMobil will take the office space Continental vacates when their headquarters consolidate with United's in Chicago a few years from now.
Continental merging with United is old news. Not going to happen. And ExxonMobil employs much more people in the Houston area than DFW.

Quote:
Houston is 'by itself' yet still covers more area than DFW with 600K less residents. Sounds like a greater amount of sprawl.
But it doesn't.

Like I said, Southeast Texas counties are larger. Besides that, the Houston urban area is still denser than the DFW urban area, so how is that more sprawl?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Minute Maid?
And look for it to start happening more with medical/biotech companies.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
D/FW may have an edge in population numbers simply because of Dallas' favorite little sister 30 miles west, Ft. Worth.

I've been told so many times & by so many people Houston "feels" like a much larger city/area. I think part of this comes from all the mega wide freeways & feeder roads with businesses continuously lined up & down them. Having much taller buildings in the city overall too contributes to how people perceive the city.

Case in point D/FW is only larger by a good 600,000 people...hardly enough worth bragging about unless its to put Houston down.
Of course Houston feels like a larger city because it is. DFW is a larger MSA. Its also growing faster on a per person basis, so thats not likely to change. DFW just passed Atlanta for largest population gain since 2000 for the number one spot in people gained by 2008 estimates by MSA. You might not think its much up here, but alot of people do.

About Dallas having Fort Worth to add people, give it a rest. Like the Census people give a **** if DFW or Houston is bigger. DFW is one MSA for a reason and the Metroplex has more people. Its just the way it is.

Your last point is comical, since I see alot more people trying to put down DFW than Houston.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 08-17-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:

ExxonMobile wont leave Irving. They have it too good up here. As you mentioned they just moved into a new office a few years back. They arent going anywhere.

I dont think Continental and United will merge, but when they were talking about it, the HQ was set to be in Chicago.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 08-17-2009 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I guess Filipinos like to live in the avant-garde cities. There are no Philippine consulates in the South, but when there was one it was in Greenway Plaza in Houston.
Houston and DFW each have Nationalities that are more present in each. Are you saying Filipinos are better than other nationalities in general, or just because they like Houston better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas