Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 04:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Houston is a mini-LA though. When I was in LA two months ago, it reminded me of Houston actually.
If youre talking about the sprawl, then yes. Culturally, not at all.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Houston is a mini-LA though. When I was in LA two months ago, it reminded me of Houston actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
If youre talking about the sprawl, then yes. Culturally, not at all.
No, it's the patchwork make-up of the two cities that is similar, to me at least. The way there will be one ethnic area next to another one.
And Houston has two Chinatowns.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
So AK123, you have not named any parts of Dallas which have no trees...

Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Absolutley. Houston has alot more in common with Dallas than LA.
The downtown skylines of Houston & LA are almost indistinguishable if the mountains & Hollywood sign behind LA were not such a dead give away. Houston has a few more talls though. Both cities are located along the coast & have palm trees, Houston is more green & lush where LA is more arid & dry. Both have a major seaport, industrial areas, & refineries. The modern network of freeways in Houston & LA are similar, LA has more of them, Houston's are much wider.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
No, it's the patchwork make-up of the two cities that is similar, to me at least. The way there will be one ethnic area next to another one.
And Houston has two Chinatowns.
Along with a Little Saigon in Midtown where the street signs are written in both English & Viet, a Little India on the SW side, & Korean Town on the West side.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The downtown skylines of Houston & LA are almost indistinguishable if the mountains & Hollywood sign behind LA were not such a dead give away. Houston has a few more talls though. Both cities are located along the coast & have palm trees, Houston is more green & lush where LA is more arid & dry. Both have a major seaport, industrial areas, & refineries. The modern network of freeways in Houston & LA are similar, LA has more of them, Houston's are much wider.
now shall we talk about the differences? Again Dallas and Houston have way more in common than LA and Houston. but that shouldn't be surprising since both Dallas and Houston large successful cities in Texas cities.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Along with a Little Saigon in Midtown where the street signs are written in both English & Viet, a Little India on the SW side, & Korean Town on the West side.
You cant really compare Houstons Korean community to LA's.

If what youre trying to say is that both have lots of people from other countries, then I dont disagree.

Still culturally, they arent alike. It takes more than have a large amount of foreigners to be similar. Texas is very international indeed.

Some of my favorite places to shop and visit here in Dallas is the Koreatown on Royal Lane and the Vietnamese area in Garland on Walnut Road. I was afraid I would be leaving this behind when I left LA, but its nice to have it here too.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Denseity does not tell the whole story of the region, only of one city. MSA and CSA are the best measurements. They tell the whole story of the region.
No, you have it wrong. Densities don't tell the story of jut one city. As you can see, I said urbanized area. Do you know what an urbanized area is? MSA are only good in certain areas, and CSA's less than that. MSA's and CSA's just show commuter patterns.

And as a side note, Harris County is larger than both Dallas and Tarrant County combined. If that doesn't show yo how large the counties are down here, I don't know what will. Square mileage of the MSA is a weak way of seeing sprawl, etc. Urbanized areas are a lot better.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
No, you have it wrong. Densities don't tell the story of jut one city. As you can see, I said urbanized area. Do you know what an urbanized area is? MSA are only good in certain areas, and CSA's less than that. MSA's and CSA's just show commuter patterns.

And as a side note, Harris County is larger than both Dallas and Tarrant County combined. If that doesn't show yo how large the counties are down here, I don't know what will. Square mileage of the MSA is a weak way of seeing sprawl, etc. Urbanized areas are a lot better.
I have a degree in Geography, so dont talk to me like Im dumb. I do know what an urbanized area is.

Sorry, I dont agree. Denseties do not tell the story of the whole area. MSA, CSA, and regional measurements are better becuase there can be more than one urban core in an MSA. When we compare the Metroplex with the Houston MSA, what we are comparing is this reigion of North Texas along with Southeast Texas. Otherwise, were just picking and choosing what we want to fit our arguement.

Heres a list of urbanized areas in the US. DFW still comes out bigger, so frankly Im not sure what youre argueing.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/ua/ua2k.txt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_urban_areas

Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
I have a degree in Geography, so dont talk to me like Im dumb. I do know what an urbanized area is.

Sorry, I dont agree. Denseties do not tell the story of the whole area. MSA, CSA, and regional measurements are better becuase there can be more than one urban core in an MSA. When we compare the Metroplex with the Houston MSA, what we are comparing is this reigion of North Texas along with Southeast Texas. Otherwise, were just picking and choosing what we want to fit our arguement.

Heres a list of urbanized areas in the US. DFW still comes out bigger, so frankly Im not sure what youre argueing.

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/ua/ua2k.txt
List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas)

Yes, densities don't tell the whole area, but you're making it seem like Houston sprawls out a lot more than DFW. You posted the square mileage of the MSA and then said that the counties didn't matter (when they obviously did).

Of course DFW comes out larger, but Houston is denser (barely), but it is. That, and Houston covers less land. Also, urbanized areas do take into account more than one urban core. If it didn't, then DFW would have been split up. Instead, it carries the required density from Dallas to Fort Worth. Urban areas go as far out as that certain density goes (not sure how many people per square mile there must be).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas