Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 01:09 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Splitting hairs. Its one continous population from Dallas to Fort Worth. Why should matter is little saigon is in Garland or if its in Dallas city proper? Dallas/Fort Worth is more fragmented than Houston, so its more likely that some of the great things to offer in this area will not be located in the city of Dallas.

But none of it really matters since people only try and pull this arguement to make one city or msa look better than another while throwing logic by the wayside.
true..believe me, I too once thought it was just "splitting hairs"..(still do, truthfully) I was one of the ones who for the longest referred to everything in north Texas (from Ft. Worth To Mesquite) as "Dallas"...I was quickly corrected by Dallasites/Metroplex residents.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:15 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
true..believe me, I too once thought it was just "splitting hairs"..(still do, truthfully) I was one of the ones who for the longest referred to everything in north Texas (from Ft. Worth To Mesquite) as "Dallas"...I was quickly corrected by Dallasites/Metroplex residents.
Its all just one big blob of development in both the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and Metro Houston. Even though the DFW metroplex is around 8700 square miles (land only) and 6.3 million people, around 5.4 million of those people live in 3300 square miles (land only). Houston is the same way. The MSA is big, but the vast majority of those people live in a much smaller space.

To me it doesnt matter what lies inside or outside an imaginary line, but rather what the region holds. If we only look whats inside Dallas proper, you miss out on alot of whats really nice about this area. You see alot of it, but miss alot too.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:21 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Its all just one big blob of development in both the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and Metro Houston. Even though the DFW metroplex is around 8700 square miles (land only) and 6.3 million people, around 5.4 million of those people live in 3300 square miles (land only). Houston is the same way. The MSA is big, but the vast majority of those people live in a much smaller space.

To me it doesnt matter what lies inside or outside an imaginary line, but rather what the region holds. If we only look whats inside Dallas proper, you miss out on alot of whats really nice about this area. You see alot of it, but miss alot too.
Agreed...People tend to act as though the culture in Garland is going to be THAT much unique from the culture in Plano or Irving etc.

Its just like when people become indignant when Spring, or The Woodlands or Galveston are mentioned within the context of the Houston MSA. To me its kind of like "whatever"...unless discussion is about statistical measurements/population, its practically the same thing (culturally, regionally, geographically *more or less*).

Old 09-23-2009, 05:16 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Yes I have been to the one in Houston and yes the one in Dallas is bigger and not by a small margin. I dont see why that would be so hard to accept since the Korean community is quite a bit larger in Dallas than it is in Houston (MSA).

Yes I know Houston has two Chinatowns. But nonetheless, our ethnic neighborhoods exist more right outside the city than in Dallas (save the Salvadoran and Mexican neighborhoods). And it doesnt matter one bit because they are still here.
The Dallas Korean community is larger than Houston, by about 6,000 according to this (didn't know Atlanta's Korean community was larger than Dallas'). Was posted at another forum. I'll go and find the 2006 numbers since those were posted as well. But just like Dallas' Koreatown is a bit larger than Houston's, the DFW area doesn't have anywhere the size of Houston's New Chinatown. My only complaint with Houston's Chinatown is that it's too suburban, but it's changing.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
The Dallas Korean community is larger than Houston, by about 6,000 according to this (didn't know Atlanta's Korean community was larger than Dallas'). Was posted at another forum. I'll go and find the 2006 numbers since those were posted as well. But just like Dallas' Koreatown is a bit larger than Houston's, the DFW area doesn't have anywhere the size of Houston's New Chinatown. My only complaint with Houston's Chinatown is that it's too suburban, but it's changing.
Those are the 2000 numbers. Let shoot for something more recent. Here are the 2005 numbers:

DFW:

http://gstudynet.org/gum/US2005ACS/Dallas2005.htm

Metro Houston:

http://gstudynet.org/gum/US2005ACS/Houston2005.htm

If the numbers are any indication of future trend of Korean population, then the margin will just widden. In 2000 it was only 6,000, in 2005 its over 10,000. Atlanta has the fastest growing Korean community in the US, DFW is #2 (based on percentages). Houstons Korean community got fewer than 1,000 new residents in that time, DFW's got over 6,000 more. With the economy getting worse in Atlanta, and things going well in DFW, who knows what will happen next for the Korean Community in this part of the country.

DFW's Korea town isnt "a bit larger". Its alot larger with more Korean Ammenities. They have a Chamber of Commerce, their own newspaper, and are petitioning for the DPD to hire Korean cops for the area.

The Indian population in DFW just recently over took Metro Houstons. Ill find the numbers later since Im late for dinner (in Koreatown of all places-Chosun BBQ!!!).

No argument that Houstons Chinatowns are much larger. DFW has nothing like that. But Im afriad DFW's Korean community and Koreatown is much larger.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Okay, so I should have said "quite a bit larger"? And I said I'm finding the 2006 numbers. Good job on DFW increasing that percentage on international born population now (has about 500-600K more metro pop than Houston).

Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
I think there are a few important & distinct differences being left out here.

Dallas' (Irving's really) Korean Town is located in/near a bunch of warehouses & strip clubs. The area is very sketchy to say the least. Prostitutes wander the streets nearby looking for their next John & street racers hold illegal drag races there on the weekend.

Houston's Korean Town is in the middle class neighborhood of Spring Branch on the west side of town just north of the massively expanded I-10 Katy Freeway. The area is older ranch style homes built in the 1970's & both Korean & Hispanic businesses nestled among towering pine trees. Memorial City Mall, Houston's predecessor to North Park Mall in Dallas is just across the freeway, along with the recently completed Memorial Hermann Hospital building towering over I-10.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I think there are a few important & distinct differences being left out here.

Dallas' (Irving's really) Korean Town is located in/near a bunch of warehouses & strip clubs. The area is very sketchy to say the least. Prostitutes wander the streets nearby looking for their next John & street racers hold illegal drag races there on the weekend.

Houston's Korean Town is in the middle class neighborhood of Spring Branch on the west side of town just north of the massively expanded I-10 Katy Freeway. The area is older ranch style homes built in the 1970's & both Korean & Hispanic businesses nestled among towering pine trees. Memorial City Mall, Houston's predecessor to North Park Mall in Dallas is just across the freeway, along with the recently completed Memorial Hermann Hospital building towering over I-10.
Koreatown in Dallas starts a couple of miles East of Las Collinas on Royal Lane and Luna. Its growing like crazy. Theres already a shopping center there that wasnt there when I moved two months ago. Koreatown extends from an area that is nicer (Royal and Luna to an area thats not as nice (Royal and Harry Hines).

You should also mention that protitutes dont troll in Korea town. If you follow Harry Hines about a mile to the South, then yes, but not at Koreatown itself.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:11 AM

Memorial City Mall is not like Northpark Mall. Houston Galleria is like Northpark and the Galleria Dallas is to Dallas what Memorial City Mall is to Houston.

But interesting stuff on DFW's Koreatown. You're right, Houston's is in a nicer area. The Memorial Villages are really nice.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Koreatown in Dallas starts a couple of miles East of Las Collinas on Royal Lane and Luna. Its growing like crazy. Theres already a shopping center there that wasnt there when I moved two months ago. Koreatown extends from an area that is nicer (Royal and Luna to an area thats not as nice (Royal and Harry Hines).

You should also mention that protitutes dont troll in Korea town. If you follow Harry Hines about a mile to the South, then yes, but not at Koreatown itself.
We use to go up to Dallas weekly to go to Harry Hines. My mom owns her own store and we got their for the wholesale stores. It does have that Houston Chinatown look, especially with the new strip centers they are putting up.

However, we saw some crazy ****. Once this dude ran up banging on our window and his face was bloody and bruised. We just drove off lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas