Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afobulous View Post
People..

It's Sugar Land (Two words) NOT SUGARLAND..
haha, yeah wouldn't want to offend the people of the teeming metropolis of sugarland. Sorry but you made it to easy to take a jab

Old 12-16-2009, 03:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Getting very saccharine either way!

Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,824,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afobulous View Post
People..

It's Sugar Land (Two words) NOT SUGARLAND..
Yeah, good luck with teaching that one. Half the businesses in Sugar Land don't even know how to spell it.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,159 times
Well after reading Newsweek's best high schools report, with Dallas having 2 on it, i was ready to say that Dallas had better schools. Houston had 1.

BUT, the Texas Education Agency revealed that Dallas had a VERY large number of schools that were deemed the worst-performing schools in Texas.

Quote:
These are the campuses where 50 percent or more of the students failed TAKS in any two of the last three years or were rated "academically unacceptable" in 2007, 2008 or 2009

Dallas ISD, the second-largest district in Texas, had the most schools on the list — 48. Next up were Houston ISD, the state's largest district, and Fort Worth ISD, with 30 schools each.
Wow, 48 schools! I would've thought Houston, being the largest, would have more, but Dallas had 18 more schools than Houston that are bad. HISD also serves about 30,000-40,000 more students than DISD

And just with those 2 cities, the metroplex already has more than Greater Houston.

Greater Houston had 52 schools of this "caliber". While just FWISD, and DISD combined had a whopping 78 schools! That doesnt take in the other suburbs's districts, which i hope would have a lot less, because i can easily see the Metroplex with over 100 of the worst schools in TX.

This is even more saddening, because I think we all know, that TX Education standards are kind of low.

Now im not gloating, because obviously we want schools in TX to be competitive, and have the least number of bad schools as possible.

The worst schools in Texas | School Zone | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle)

Last edited by SouthmoreAve; 12-17-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Well after reading Newsweek's best high schools report, with Dallas having 2 on it, i was ready to say that Dallas had better schools. Houston had 1.

BUT, the Texas Education Agency revealed that Dallas had a VERY large number of schools that were deemed the worst-performing schools in Texas.

Wow, 48 schools! I would've thought Houston, being the largest, would have more, but Dallas had 18 more schools than Houston that are bad. HISD also serves about 30,000-40,000 more students than DISD

And just with those 2 cities, the metroplex already has more than Greater Houston.

Greater Houston had 52 schools of this "caliber". While just FWISD, and DISD combined had a whopping 78 schools! That doesnt take in the other suburbs's districts, which i hope would have a lot less, because i can easily see the Metroplex with over 100 of the worst schools in TX.

This is even more saddening, because I think we all know, that TX Education standards are kind of low.

Now im not gloating, because obviously we want schools in TX to be competitive, and have the least number of bad schools as possible.

The worst schools in Texas | School Zone | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle)
There are so many things wrong with DISD. For lack of a better way of saying it, DISD schools are alot more ghetto than the HISD ones. Alot of the schools in DISD are downright dangerous. Even the ones not in the bad neighborhoods.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Yeah, good luck with teaching that one. Half the businesses in Sugar Land don't even know how to spell it.
You've noticed too? LOL. All I have to do is look at my receipts and it's always different. Probably from out-of-state companies establishing here. Anyway, I think some of the natives get bent out of shape if you spell it as one word! I was probably guilty of that misspell a few times when I first moved here...

Old 12-18-2009, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,557 times
i would choose houston in this one, but i think culturally san antonio is the best city in the state. all texas is really known for where in other states is the spurs, the alamo, cows, and mexican food. i lived in los angeles and san diego for about a year and everytime i talked about houston, the only thing anyone from there knew about is the rap artists and the houston rockets. im not saying san antonio is the greatest city ever, cuz if i could i would go back to san diego. im just saying even tho its not as big as houston or dallas, its more culturally significant.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:28 PM

LA native you just got here, why are you giving DISD such a bad rap? If you are going by Dallas Morning News and Channel 8 coverage you are getting sensational pap and red meat they throw to sell papers in the suburbs.

The majority of Dallas schools are recognized or exemplary. Even some that were recently on 'the worst' (Dallas Morning News headline) list were there because a few students in one of the subgroups failed one TAKS test in 2007.

Five Dallas high schools are among Newsweek's Top High Schools in America. We have two blue-ribbon elementary schools in my neighborhood alone - both are exemplary and two others are also exemplary, two recognized and another nearby is exemplary and a candidate for blue ribbon.

There's no doubt a lot of us are unhappy with the administration and school board. But that is also true in Plano.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
LA native you just got here, why are you giving DISD such a bad rap? If you are going by Dallas Morning News and Channel 8 coverage you are getting sensational pap and red meat they throw to sell papers in the suburbs.

The majority of Dallas schools are recognized or exemplary. Even some that were recently on 'the worst' (Dallas Morning News headline) list were there because a few students in one of the subgroups failed one TAKS test in 2007.

Five Dallas high schools are among Newsweek's Top High Schools in America. We have two blue-ribbon elementary schools in my neighborhood alone - both are exemplary and two others are also exemplary, two recognized and another nearby is exemplary and a candidate for blue ribbon.

There's no doubt a lot of us are unhappy with the administration and school board. But that is also true in Plano.
Isn't that over- generalizing Dallas just a bit, even for you?

Your neighborhood, im assuming that your screen name alludes to a rich part of Dallas or a suburb with good schools, because i remember something being named like that. Just because your neighborhood is great, doesnt mean everybody's is like that.

There are more Dallas students being served by these bad schools, compared to those being served by good schools.

If you want to cover your eye, so that you can only see the good, go ahead, but there are many more schools that arent receiving the same education as your neighborhood's exemplary or recognized schools, and even more schools that arent on Newsweeks top HS's.

And i read both the good news and bad news about Dallas' schools. More bad than good, i can assure you.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 PM

Of those five high schools which made Newsweek's list (all in the top half), two are in North Oak Cliff, one is downtown, one is in North Dallas and my alma mater is in East Dallas/Lakewood.

We are blessed with many excellent schools in East Dallas/Lakewood, but other areas have them - I think there are 220 schools and 150+ are exemplary or recognized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas