Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I prefer Galveston myself. I like the vibe and atmosphere more. Fort Worth looks like Dallas and feels like Dallas; just more laid-back. Galveston looks nothing like Houston.
Fort Worth isnt even remotely similar to Dallas. They are nothing alike.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
well as you long as you admit that its all an opinion rather than fact because there's alot that may agree with you but there's also alot who may disagree with you. And Your list was not very compelling.

i agree with pbcookie that Dallas looks better but i think Houston "feels" better, better in the sense of more of a city, despite Dallas's superior rail transit.
Do I need to put a disclaimer on everything I write that its an opinion?

I listed two things that Metro Houston doesnt have. Metro Houston doesnt have a small city around it that has a hippie vibe, Metro Houston doesnt have another city that is large, yet completely different from it. That the variety Im talking about.

I dont get why people from Houston have to think everything from Houston is better. There are things that are better up north too.

Either way, this thread is once again going to be dominated by Houstonians because there are more of them on this thread so we can forget any kind of fair comparrision.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
That's a pretty big thing that North Texas has that Southeast Texas doesnt. The variety of mega city/big city/small city/small town is what DFW has that Houston lacks.
The only thing missing is the "big city", which I guess would be Fort Worth according to you. Not that much difference.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I know there's some resentment from the Houston people after years and years of rather unfair name-calling by the Dallas folk (everything from dump to armpit, and the constant overemphasis on the humidity and bugs and refineries as if these define the city and as if the other places don't have their own problems; an example was the 2012 Olympic thing.)
Who in Dallas is doing all this name calling? I grew up in the Metroplex and have rarely heard anyone mention the City of Houston, much less bash it. Maybe you're pulling some of your resentment from comments you've read on forums like C-D, which one would be delusional to consider representative of the attitudes of the general population in any city.

I think you're giving 'Dallas folk' too much credit by assuming they've been giving any thought (negative or otherwise) to Houston.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
The Asian population in the Dallas area is in the burbs. Garland, Plano, Irving, Carrollton, and Arlington, etc. Dallas only account for 9.1% of DFW's Asian population. Plano has more Asians than Dallas (in number, not just percentage). Metro Houston has about 325,000 Asians and DFW has about 300,000 and more Asians have come to DFW since 2000 than Metro Houston, so the number is closing a little bit.

And seriously dude, are you going to act like the name calling is a one-sided issue? Seriously? You must have a very selective memory.
The numbers are barely getting close (for the Asian numbers) and the DFW area has more people than Metro Houston, by about 580K.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,006 times
Between the two, I would take Dallas. I worked in and around Houston for some time and it is too congested. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I just like Dallas better. Besides Dallas is alot closer to home(Fort Worth).

Old 04-20-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:

I listed two things that Metro Houston doesnt have. Metro Houston doesnt have a small city around it that has a hippie vibe, Metro Houston doesnt have another city that is large, yet completely different from it. That the variety Im talking about.

I dont get why people from Houston have to think everything from Houston is better. There are things that are better up north too.

Either way, this thread is once again going to be dominated by Houstonians because there are more of them on this thread so we can forget any kind of fair comparrision.
This goes both ways.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:

For someone to be such in love with Ft Worth and to be from out of town, you sure stand by Dallas like you're really a Dallasnative. Just because Houston doesn't have a city as large as Ft. Worth next to it does not mean that it doesn't have any cities around it that offer small town charm. I listed perfect examples and AK123 also added the few cities in the Pine Forest as examples. You just don't want to accept them as being what they are which are all different from the city of Houston.

You say you don't understand why everyone from Houston has to think that everything is better, but yet you and many other Dallasites do the same thing you accuse. I never said Houston was better, i just simply stated that DFW did not have anymore to offer than Houston and vice-versa.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Here's my two cents:

DFW and Houston are sister cities, but these sisters have some subtle differences in how they behavior. DFW overall has a white collar kind of feel to it, while Houston seems half blue collar and white collar. Traffic is generally congested in both, both generally have a good economy, and both have seen high growth.

I think DFW is generally a cleaner looking city, has better looking infrastructure in generally, and has better looking retail/businesses. I think Houston has better looking neighborhoods (due to subtropical climate's effect on vegetation and diverse architecture), friendlier, and has bigger city feel due to skylines scattered throughout and infrastructure.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:36 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:

D/FW has a city with a hippy vibe? Hahaha That's a new one on me!!!

How is Galveston no different from Houston than Fort Worth is from Dallas? They are worlds apart in both look & feel. Galveston's Strand looks & even feels like a mini New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas