Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 AM

882 posts, read 2,244,491 times

Advertisements

^^Yes LRT is the sexy choice, a tourist is more likely to use Public Transportation when its LRT, as opposed to taking a bus. DART's LRT is superior to METRORail, simply because it takes someone to more places, if I was using DART and then METRO, it doesn't matter to me that METRORail has a higher ridership per mile, what matters to me is being able to go where I need to.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Im not trying to say that Dallas has better mass transit over all, Im trying to say Dallas has a better rail system (and I believe it does).

Agreed with you Southmore on the ridership per mile vs. more places. I dont care how many other people are on the train with me, what matters is that it takes me where I want to go.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
^^Yes LRT is the sexy choice, a tourist is more likely to use Public Transportation when its LRT, as opposed to taking a bus. DART's LRT is superior to METRORail, simply because it takes someone to more places, if I was using DART and then METRO, it doesn't matter to me that METRORail has a higher ridership per mile, what matters to me is being able to go where I need to.
But MetroRail takes riders to several "tourist oriented" venues. More importantly, though, is the fact that a transit system isn't necessarily limited to moving tourists for goodness sake! It's for moving workers!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM

355 posts, read 468,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
But MetroRail takes riders to several "tourist oriented" venues. More importantly, though, is the fact that a transit system isn't necessarily limited to moving tourists for goodness sake! It's for moving workers!
Dallas will also build a streetcar system inside the CBD and connect all the main focus areas, as well as connect the northern Oak Cliff area.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Dallas will also build a streetcar system inside the CBD and connect all the main focus areas, as well as connect the northern Oak Cliff area.
Houston also has stretcar plans. Heights Blvd, Montrose Blvd, and a Downtown circulator. Probably others, too, but these were on the Washington Ave Rail Corridor plan. It's a pretty long PDF document.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:55 PM

355 posts, read 468,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Houston also has stretcar plans. Heights Blvd, Montrose Blvd, and a Downtown circulator. Probably others, too, but these were on the Washington Ave Rail Corridor plan. It's a pretty long PDF document.
Real cool.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You mean to tell me you've never seen those white & green Woodlands Express buses? .
Nope. I actually saw it first on a website... that's how sad it is. In fact, I didn't even know Houston had palm tree's all in random places until I started paying attention more to details in pictures...

I knew we had palm tree's just not that much though..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the war on public transportation:

Dallas has the upperhand presently by quite a large margin at that. It's a more extensive system, it is entirely expected to be more efficient than Houston's.

And who ever is out there saying (if anyone) that Houston METRORail > Dallas DART after both are done with Phase II & III isn't looking at the big picture. I think it will be a near tie after both are done. A tie on service, and the ridership will probably be very similar too.

I think commuter rail for Houston will be pretty awesome, no more driving to Galveston!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Nope. I actually saw it first on a website... that's how sad it is. In fact, I didn't even know Houston had palm tree's all in random places until I started paying attention more to details in pictures...

I knew we had palm tree's just not that much though.
Yep. Even The Woodlands has lots of tropical vegetation. Pretty much all the way up to Conroe & Huntsville you'll find some palm trees. I think tall pines & palms look good together, but that's just my opinion. They look waaay out of place in Dallas & North Texas though.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yep. Even The Woodlands has lots of tropical vegetation. Pretty much all the way up to Conroe & Huntsville you'll find some palm trees. I think tall pines & palms look good together, but that's just my opinion. They look waaay out of place in Dallas & North Texas though.
I have only seen palm trees at the Dallas Zoo and at a Shell Gas Station.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
I have only seen palm trees at the Dallas Zoo and at a Shell Gas Station.
You really should get out more. Just drive down HWY. 80 towards Forney & around Cedar Springs. Irving too.

I'll have to make a note of that to take pics next time I'm up that way so I can show you since you seem to be quite the hermit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas