U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 10,440,021 times
Reputation: 4047

Advertisements

I believe this decade is the ultimate battleground for Houston & Dallas and one of them is going to lose some prominent ground. Both of them right now are pulling away from Atlanta-as their economy suffers, they fall behind to the progression here in Texas. Miami, well enough said- it's important to the region and South America, but not the world.

This decade we'll be seeing a winner. And quite frankly with the extension of the Panama Canal completed in 2014, US Port of entry = Houston, Texas & New Orleans, Louisiana.
Also IAH is the fastest growing airport in the country... so the economy will have more transportation base now.
By the way people, shopping & retail is such a laughable criteria to be a "better city" try telling people that Miami is a better city than Chicago... Haha. Everything is going online now, including shopping.
And Houston has some plans up it's sleeve for shopping.

I'm sure Dallas has got plans cooked up too to make large lasting impacts, but I don't live there and don't follow with the news there. Maybe someone can fill me in with some of their legit plans to make a global impact.

Like I said, this decade one of these cities will pull away. But I don't know which one yet.

 
Old 06-30-2010, 10:36 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 12,342,769 times
Reputation: 3545
And Houston could become a national tourist destination with EarthQuest Adventures, and any other theme parks/attractions that come with it. I remember there being plans for an indoor ski resort. I'm betting it fell through, but EarthQuest could bring in other things (like Disney World did for Orlando, for example).

Link to "Snow Mountain, Texas": Snow Mountain, Texas: Indoor Skiing in Houston » Swamplot: Houston’s Real Estate Landscape
 
Old 06-30-2010, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Greater Houston
3,712 posts, read 7,635,236 times
Reputation: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
And Houston could become a national tourist destination with EarthQuest Adventures, and any other theme parks/attractions that come with it. I remember there being plans for an indoor ski resort. I'm betting it fell through, but EarthQuest could bring in other things (like Disney World did for Orlando, for example).

Link to "Snow Mountain, Texas": Snow Mountain, Texas: Indoor Skiing in Houston » Swamplot: Houston’s Real Estate Landscape
I wish that Disneyland would be built near Katy (like Fulshear/Simonton/Wallis).
 
Old 07-01-2010, 12:24 AM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 12,342,769 times
Reputation: 3545
Yeah, it would have been nice if Disney built a park in Texas, but all of that was just hearsay and rumors. Nothing was ever concrete.
 
Old 07-01-2010, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,261 posts, read 7,118,632 times
Reputation: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Wait, what?





And yes, Downtown is viewable from the bridge. I don't know what you're trying to say about Tyler Pipe either. What you just said is basically proving what many have said about Dallas....too worried on what people think.
Nice bridge.
 
Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 PM
 
165 posts, read 83,714 times
Reputation: 15
Houston doesn't even have a Barneys New York.
It only has 2 high-end department stores.

Dallas has about 7 high-end department stores.

Houston SUCKS at sport. Who even cheers for Houston Texans.

Dallas Cowboys is the most famous football team in the world.

Dallas is know for its architecture buildings. From Fair Park to Dallas Arts District.

Dallas highways look the same as Houston. Now San Antonia Highways look ugly to tell you the truth.

Dallas is more pedestrian friendly than whole Houston. Uptown Dallas I should say.

Gay Friendly. Dallas wins on that, from oak lawn to oak cliff.
Cathedral of Hope in Dallas is world's largest liberal Christian church with a primary outreach to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons.

Dallas didn't put the man on the moon but we did help Houston accomplish that because techonology started in Dallas with the help of Texas Instruments.

Nobody know any sports owners from Houston. Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban are actually known.

You can't seem Houston from miles of away because it has a terrible building codes. Random buildings everywhere in the city = ugly

I give that to houston that it is more International than Dallas.

DART is more extensive than the Houston Rail. It does look better but that is because it is so small in light rail miles.

Dallas skyline looks really nice at night, I might even say better than houston.

THE FUTURE OF DALLAS

http://www.buyandselldallas.com/images/downtown/mtskyline.jpg (broken link)

But in all we should all TEAM up together and say that Texas is so much better than California.

because

no one can

MESS WITH TEXAS!!!!!
 
Old 07-01-2010, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 10,440,021 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_she View Post
Houston doesn't even have a Barneys New York.
It only has 2 high-end department stores.

Dallas has about 7 high-end department stores.

Houston SUCKS at sport. Who even cheers for Houston Texans.

Dallas Cowboys is the most famous football team in the world.

Dallas is know for its architecture buildings. From Fair Park to Dallas Arts District.

Dallas highways look the same as Houston. Now San Antonia Highways look ugly to tell you the truth.

Dallas is more pedestrian friendly than whole Houston. Uptown Dallas I should say.

Gay Friendly. Dallas wins on that, from oak lawn to oak cliff.
Cathedral of Hope in Dallas is world's largest liberal Christian church with a primary outreach to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons.

Dallas didn't put the man on the moon but we did help Houston accomplish that because techonology started in Dallas with the help of Texas Instruments.

Nobody know any sports owners from Houston. Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban are actually known.

You can't seem Houston from miles of away because it has a terrible building codes. Random buildings everywhere in the city = ugly

I give that to houston that it is more International than Dallas.

DART is more extensive than the Houston Rail. It does look better but that is because it is so small in light rail miles.

Dallas skyline looks really nice at night, I might even say better than houston.

THE FUTURE OF DALLAS



But in all we should all TEAM up together and say that Texas is so much better than California.

because

no one can

MESS WITH TEXAS!!!!!
1. I'll be back later tonight to rebuttal all the clear mistakes you've got here based off your own perception. You do have some things right though, but a hell lot of faults in it too.

2. I like the Texas pride, and I love the state, it's a hell lot better than the one horse state of Illinois which is nothing without Chicagoland, but seriously?! You can't say Texas is better than California just that easily. Texas has some advantages but California is way ahead of the game, in front of everyone. But Texas is definitely the second best, which is a lot to be proud of out of 50!
 
Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
3,805 posts, read 6,195,325 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I believe this decade is the ultimate battleground for Houston & Dallas and one of them is going to lose some prominent ground. Both of them right now are pulling away from Atlanta-as their economy suffers, they fall behind to the progression here in Texas. Miami, well enough said- it's important to the region and South America, but not the world.

This decade we'll be seeing a winner. And quite frankly with the extension of the Panama Canal completed in 2014, US Port of entry = Houston, Texas & New Orleans, Louisiana.
Also IAH is the fastest growing airport in the country... so the economy will have more transportation base now.
By the way people, shopping & retail is such a laughable criteria to be a "better city" try telling people that Miami is a better city than Chicago... Haha. Everything is going online now, including shopping.
And Houston has some plans up it's sleeve for shopping.

I'm sure Dallas has got plans cooked up too to make large lasting impacts, but I don't live there and don't follow with the news there. Maybe someone can fill me in with some of their legit plans to make a global impact.

Like I said, this decade one of these cities will pull away. But I don't know which one yet.
I am going with Dallas because of Fort Worth...Dallas and Fort Worth will be battling for prominence of North Texas this decade...Fort Worth has the superior trinity river project and a Fort Worth skyscraper boom will happen sometime this decade...Arlington also is developing a more urban feel that will mirror Fort Worth Sundance square. A competitive Dallas and Fort Worth equals a prosperous Metroplex.
 
Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
3,261 posts, read 7,118,632 times
Reputation: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I am going with Dallas because of Fort Worth...Dallas and Fort Worth will be battling for prominence of North Texas this decade...Fort Worth has the superior trinity river project and a Fort Worth skyscraper boom will happen sometime this decade...Arlington also is developing a more urban feel that will mirror Fort Worth Sundance square. A competitive Dallas and Fort Worth equals a prosperous Metroplex.
Yeah, I agree. I hope the skyscraper boom will happen very soon.
 
Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 PM
 
165 posts, read 83,714 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I am going with Dallas because of Fort Worth...Dallas and Fort Worth will be battling for prominence of North Texas this decade...Fort Worth has the superior trinity river project and a Fort Worth skyscraper boom will happen sometime this decade...Arlington also is developing a more urban feel that will mirror Fort Worth Sundance square. A competitive Dallas and Fort Worth equals a prosperous Metroplex.
Thank You
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top