Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I was refering to the new blood not the old school Houston rappers. Z-ro, scarface etc are legends in the game. You also got to remember the reason Dallas hip-hop had a tough time getting a big break was mainly due to K104. They refused to play local talent for a long time but they would glady play music out of Houston etc. It wasn't until 97.9 came along and supported the local talents did Dallas hip hop really start taking off. Because 97.9 was showcasing local talents there ratings skyrocketed. K104 as a result ratings drop and had no other choice but to start showcasing local talent.
But even if you're talking about the new school rappers, how did they get an assist from ATL? And could it also be that Dallas rappers just really aren't very good and popular, despite not being played on the radio? I hear more Houston rap blasting in cars around the Dee Eff Dub than I do DFW's own rap artists and I doubt they are all people from Houston.

Quote:
LA has two basketball teams and Sac-town was threatening to move to Anahiem. Which would have put 3 basketball teams in Los Angeles market. There are plenty of examples similar to this throughout the country. Really what you stated didn't make any sense at all. I think DFW is big enough to support two basketball teams. Plus there are already plans to build a new arena in the cultural district of Fort Worth.
LA has two basketball teams with its market size at about 20 million people. Hardly the same thing as DFW. In fact, Orange County alone is about half the size of DFW (so 3 million). What other examples are there? Only one I can think of is New York, and that is another big market. Not even Chicago has two basketball teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I know Fort Worth supports the Mavericks, but to me it's still pretty silly to get upset that you don't get a personal "thank you" from Mark Cuban. All of North Texas roots for the Mavericks. Was he supposed to list every city in DFW and give them an individual parade? Not to mention, when he says "Dallas," just like 5 of the 6.5 million people in DFW and pretty much everybody outside of Loop 820, he's referring to North Texas in general. It just seems like such a petty thing to get upset about and go out of your way to notice. It reeks of the little brother syndrome Fort Worth proudly wears on its sleeve. And I say this out of love as a Fort Worth native and future resident.

Like Trae said, Oklahoma City gets its own team because it's its own market. They will represent all of Oklahoma. Fort Worth is not in any line to get a team. DFW, and Texas in general, are fickle when it comes to any sport outside of football. When the Mavs have some down years again, sadly, they won't have the fan loyalty that the Cowboys enjoy. Look at the Stars today compared to a decade ago. DFW can't support two NBA teams, and they won't ever get two. Fort Worth's only hope is that the Mavericks get a new owner one day that moves the team west.
Something I noticed a few weeks ago before Game 1 of the Finals. I was watching NBC5, and they were doing a story of some sports bar and people in Fort Worth rooting for the Mavs. The owner of the bar said, "they aren't in Fort Worth, but we'll be rooting for the team from Dallas tonight". I was like "seriously?".

Old 06-20-2011, 09:03 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
Quote:
Upset? What are you talking about? You took it upon yourself to over analyze my post and put words in my mouth. All I did was respond to Trae when he stated deep down inside Fort Worth wish they had a NBA team.
lol, okay, maybe not upset, maybe I over-analyzed, but still a big reach to suggest that Mark Cuban dissed Fort Worth and that might lead to another team.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
lol, okay, maybe not upset, maybe I over-analyzed, but still a big reach to suggest that Mark Cuban dissed Fort Worth and that might lead to another team.
You still doing it lol ....I didn't say Cuban dissed Fort Worth....they play in downtown Dallas...I had no problem with Cuban remarks...

Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
But even if you're talking about the new school rappers, how did they get an assist from ATL? And could it also be that Dallas rappers just really aren't very good and popular, despite not being played on the radio? I hear more Houston rap blasting in cars around the Dee Eff Dub than I do DFW's own rap artists and I doubt they are all people from Houston.

LA has two basketball teams with its market size at about 20 million people. Hardly the same thing as DFW. In fact, Orange County alone is about half the size of DFW (so 3 million). What other examples are there? Only one I can think of is New York, and that is another big market. Not even Chicago has two basketball teams.

Something I noticed a few weeks ago before Game 1 of the Finals. I was watching NBC5, and they were doing a story of some sports bar and people in Fort Worth rooting for the Mavs. The owner of the bar said, "they aren't in Fort Worth, but we'll be rooting for the team from Dallas tonight". I was like "seriously?".
Chicago does have 2 baseball teams sir.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:

I mean its a trade-off TCU needs the support of the entire DFW metro as far as tv ratings. When they won the Rose Bowl all credit was giving to Fort Worth. Many TCU supporters from across DFW tuned in to watch the Rose Bowl.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
I mean its a trade-off TCU needs the support of the entire DFW metro as far as tv ratings. When they won the Rose Bowl all credit was giving to Fort Worth. Many TCU supporters from across DFW tuned in to watch the Rose Bowl.
I guess, but not everyone is a fan of TCU in DFW, nor are they even alumni of the school. College is a little different than the big leagues. There are more UT and OU fans/alumni in DFW than TCU.

Quote:
Chicago does have 2 baseball teams sir.
Thought we were discussing basketball? There is a better chance of a baseball team moving to Dallas than there is a basketball team moving to Fort Worth.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I guess, but not everyone is a fan of TCU in DFW, nor are they even alumni of the school. College is a little different than the big leagues. There are more UT and OU fans/alumni in DFW than TCU.

Thought we were discussing basketball? There is a better chance of a baseball team moving to Dallas than there is a basketball team moving to Fort Worth.

ok I am sure everyone of post you will disagree with. Lets leave it at that.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:41 AM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
You still doing it lol ....I didn't say Cuban dissed Fort Worth....they play in downtown Dallas...I had no problem with Cuban remarks...
They play in Uptown Dallas. Why do people think it's downtown?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 AM

469 posts, read 886,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
They play in Uptown Dallas. Why do people think it's downtown?
Uptown is downtown, it's just not in the CBD loop

Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
Houston's hardcore scene beats Dallas'
I disagree with that (especially if we bring in metalcore and grindcore). Even if there are some aspects within the hardcore scene that Houston does better, when you look at metal as a whole (death metal, black metal, thrash, doom, death core, and hardcore), Dallas does it better than any other city in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas