U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
4,691 posts, read 3,940,508 times
Reputation: 1354

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dude what? Aint nothing spectacular about the Brazos river...Im in College Station sir...A*K*A the Brazos Valley...Many parts of the river look just like the Trinity....Lake Travis is dammed sir....just like all the rest of the lakes in Texas...
Yep, every lake in Texas is man made except Caddo lake.

I haven't seen the Brazos Rivers, but I have seen other rivers and they look exactly like the Trinity.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2011, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
4,691 posts, read 3,940,508 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The further you get out of Beaumont the river shrinks.... the Trinity is also wide down by the coast...


It really is. I was surprised to see it that big.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 PM
 
1,841 posts, read 2,579,987 times
Reputation: 1088
The Trinty Rivers through Dallas and Fort Worth would be larger if they were not dammed upstream to create lakes such as, Lewisville, Lavon, Worth and Eagle Mountain.

Part of the plan for both Dallas' and Fort Worth's Trinity River projects includes releasing some water from the lakes to increase river flows once levees are either built or fortified.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
4,691 posts, read 3,940,508 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
The Trinty Rivers through Dallas and Fort Worth would be larger if they were not dammed upstream to create lakes such as, Lewisville, Lavon, Worth and Eagle Mountain.

Part of the plan for both Dallas' and Fort Worth's Trinity River projects includes releasing some water from the lakes to increase river flows once levees are either built or fortified.
I heard the same thing a couple of years ago.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
4,691 posts, read 3,940,508 times
Reputation: 1354
The Trinity River is made up of 4 different forks. Elm Fork, West Fork, Clear Fork, and East Fork. Fort Worth is on the West Fork. The Clear Fork merges into the West Fork in Fort Worth. As the West Fork nears downtown it merges with Elm Fork and creates the Trinity River. The East Fork merges with the Trinity in Southeast Dallas. The Forks are apart of the Trinity River but it isn't offically called the Trinity River until it reaches Dallas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,535 posts, read 13,845,059 times
Reputation: 4873
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The further you get out of Beaumont the river shrinks.... the Trinity is also wide down by the coast...
You'll never see this on the Trinity River in Dallas or Fort Worth...ever.

Now THIS is what I call a real river!

I went for my first time a couple of years ago. Talk about a fun time indeed. One of my good friends has a food stand & cooks there every year so I get in for free & eat for free. Can't beat that & it certainly beats a NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway any day!


YouTube - ‪Port Neches Riverfest 2011‬‏

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-23-2011 at 07:02 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,968 posts, read 8,681,166 times
Reputation: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dude what? Aint nothing spectacular about the Brazos river...Im in College Station sir...A*K*A the Brazos Valley...Many parts of the river look just like the Trinity....Lake Travis is dammed sir....just like all the rest of the lakes in Texas...
You kidding me? The Brazos is huge, which is why people go canoeing on it all of the time. Have you seen the Brazos near I-10? Dallaz was wrong, not every river in Texas looks like the Trinity through Downtown Dallas. Who cares if it's dammed? That's just the way it is.

The Brazos:

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 PM
 
1,841 posts, read 2,579,987 times
Reputation: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
You kidding me? The Brazos is huge, which is why people go canoeing on it all of the time. Have you seen the Brazos near I-10? Dallaz was wrong, not every river in Texas looks like the Trinity through Downtown Dallas. Who cares if it's dammed? That's just the way it is.

The Brazos:
When a river is dammed it effects the river's natural ability to clear debris, thus decreasing the depth and flow. So, it's not "just the way it is".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 07:28 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,968 posts, read 8,681,166 times
Reputation: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
When a river is dammed it effects the river's natural ability to clear debris, thus decreasing the depth and flow of the river. So, it's not "just the way it is".
So, since it is dammed, it does not look like other rivers in Texas. Just the way it is, unless they open the river up again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Chicago
1,257 posts, read 1,278,208 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Can't beat that & it certainly beats a NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway any day!

And what in the world does one have to do with the other? You are one weird cookie.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top