U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 AM

3,584 posts, read 4,175,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
There is a difference. You're comparing a skyscraper with a bridge. I see the analogy you're trying to reach for, but it isn't the same thing. You can build more buildings as the city grows and develops. You can try to create a waterfront in the middle of the prairie. And there is nothing over on Singleton (unless you want to list some things). Seriously, how many years will it be before this bridge is even widely used for traffic?
Thats a flood plain sir all you got to do is dig deep underground and re-route the trinity and bam u got big lake underneath the bridge. I never understood why this wasn't done a long time ago. It paid off for Austin with town lake.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 AM

1,841 posts, read 2,490,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
We're talking about a bridge here, not a skyscraper. Building a building on the prairie isn't the same as building a bridge across the prairie (that doesn't go over any significant water mass, or connect to anything really). Don't get mad just because I feel it looks out of place, even if its nice. Should I be singing its praises instead? I already said its nicely designed, especially in person. What more do you want? I'm done.
One of the objectives of the Trinity River Project, is to fortify the levees so higher volumes of water can be allowed to flow and collect in front of downtown once released from the lakes and catch basins upstream. The bridges will have water underneath.

On a side note, before the river and tributaries of the upper Trinity basin were dammed and controlled, the Trinity River through Dallas appeared large enough that early settlers actually thought it could become navigable.

Quote:
When John Neely Bryan first staked his claim on the prairie, he viewed the Trinity River as full of possibility. Surely, it would be possible for steamboats to come from the coast to his new settlement, making Dallas a port town. However, the Trinity's water flow was not dependable.

Dallas Historical Society, Dallas History Topics: Trinity River

Old 06-24-2011, 08:51 AM

4,637 posts, read 3,726,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
One of the objectives of the Trinity River Project, is to fortify the levees so higher volumes of water can be allowed to flow and collect in front of downtown once released from the lakes and catch basins upstream. The bridges will have water underneath.

On a side note, before the river and tributaries of the upper Trinity basin were dammed and controlled, the Trinity River through Dallas appeared large enough that early settlers actually thought it could become navigable.
Wow! Nice post. Did y'all know that The Trinity River around downtown was moved. The Trinity River was very close to downtown. If you are driving around Stemmons Fwy (I-35E) you can see the original Trinity River channel. That's why the Trinity River looks so straight. The old channel had twists, curves, and oxbows. The area around downtown and Stemmons Fwy use to be the floodplain.

Go to this website Living with the Trinity: The Trinity River in Dallas, Fort Worth, North Texas and Beyond

Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 AM

12,308 posts, read 13,252,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post

Keyword: Appeared

Needless to say it was no where near navigable. Evidence of that can be found down between Athens & Corsicana with the two bridges (one still sitting unused).

Face it the Trinity River is no more than a dried up creek bed that swells in a downpour like a large sewage pipe erupting.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-24-2011 at 09:22 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Keyword: Appeared

Needless to say it was no where near navigable. Evidence of that can be found down between Athens & Corsicana with the two bridges (one still sitting unused).

Face it the Trinity River is no more than a dried up creek bed that swells in a downpour like a large sewage pipe.
Metro Matt, every river in Texas is in the same situation. THEY CANNOT BE NAVIGATED! Who cares about your opinion. A lot of cities would love to have a river. I'm sure if the Trinity streached into Smith County, you would say so many nice things about it. At every chance you get you always try to downtalk Dallas. I have never meet anyone like that in my life. By talking about the Trinity River you're basically talking about 12 other counties (excluding Dallas County). We live in a wonderful state, I'm not going to talk about another part of the state for no reason. You might not see the beauty but I do. All these areas makes Texas unique.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Metro Matt, every river in Texas is in the same situation. THEY CANNOT BE NAVIGATED! Who cares about your opinion. A lot of cities would love to have a river. I'm sure if the Trinity streached into Smith County, you would say so many nice things about it. At every chance you get you always try to downtalk Dallas. I have never meet anyone like that in my life. By talking about the Trinity River you're basically talking about 12 other counties (excluding Dallas County). We live in a wonderful state, I'm not going to talk about another part of the state for no reason. You might not see the beauty but I do. All these areas makes Texas unique.
The Sabine flows & stops just to the north of Tyler & the Neches flows & stops just south of Tyler at Lake Palestine which is a HUGE lake.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:33 AM

I wanna go to this soooooooo BAD! It looks fun.... This is in Fort Worth on the West Fork

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Which Picture is the Trinity River?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM

Why can't they dye it blue or green like Chicago?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Why can't they dye it blue or green like Chicago?
What are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas