Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 02:03 AM

38 posts, read 66,847 times

Advertisements

Anyways, I don't have hate for Dallas or anything, it just didn't meet my expectations of it being some sort of super city in Texas.

I was raised in Texas, and have been to every major city and lived in Austin. Quite frankly, there is no super city in Texas. A proper mass transit system and greater investment in social services, arts and culture would really help both cities. Believe it or not, but the metro system in New Delhi started about the same time as Houstons, but it is like 100x bigger and better today, including elevated/monorail portions.

Probably due to the oil and gas companies and their PACS/lobbying, we are with some of the greatest highways in the world, but some of the crappiest mass transit systems.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violator1977 View Post
Anyways, I don't have hate for Dallas or anything, it just didn't meet my expectations of it being some sort of super city in Texas.

I was raised in Texas, and have been to every major city and lived in Austin. Quite frankly, there is no super city in Texas. A proper mass transit system and greater investment in social services, arts and culture would really help both cities. Believe it or not, but the metro system in New Delhi started about the same time as Houstons, but it is like 100x bigger and better today, including elevated/monorail portions.

Probably due to the oil and gas companies and their PACS/lobbying, we are with some of the greatest highways in the world, but some of the crappiest mass transit systems.
Transit? DART has 72 miles of track and growing. Arts? The Arts District in Downtown.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:

you came out of nowhere trying to appear as an honest poster but the more i read ,the more it was revealed that you are just a typical biased hating Houstonian. Everybody knows that the transit systems in texas are still projects on goin. Everyone also knows that Dart is the best in texas. Just the ignorant notion of dart not being any better than the Metro system in Houston shows your bashing bias. You don't know s**t about Dallas....move on!*#%$@!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh Matt! Who cares!?

Please stay in Tyler. That hick town.
You bring out the worst in me.
But he's right on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
you came out of nowhere trying to appear as an honest poster but the more i read ,the more it was revealed that you are just a typical biased hating Houstonian. Everybody knows that the transit systems in texas are still projects on goin. Everyone also knows that Dart is the best in texas. Just the ignorant notion of dart not being any better than the Metro system in Houston shows your bashing bias. You don't know s**t about Dallas....move on!*#%$@!!!
DART has the best light rail system in Texas (as far as miles of track are concerned). Overall, it's hard to say. Houston has better riders per mile, higher bus ridership, and the Park and Ride system is top notch. Both systems are undergoing expansions, so that's good, but let's not act like DART is far and ahead above Houston. It may be in miles of rail track, but even when the next expansion is complete in Houston, Metro will have more light rail riders.

Quote:

You can't compare New Delhi with the Texas systems, for obvious reasons.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I was thinking the same thing. He didn't even stay long enough to judge. He doesn't even know much about Dallas at all. He didn't even see half of the metroplex.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
We'll see if houstons ridership stays the same. And when it decreases(and it will),u houstonians will have some lame excuse as to why it did. So you guy are setting yourselves up.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Houston certainly feels and looks more diverse. I'm Indian American and we have 2 full time Indian radio stations Mon-Sun, and 5 half day-full day radio stations Sat and Sundays in Houston. There wasn't one I could pick up in Dallas scanning the radio stations. Walking around the malls, out in public, and speaking with relatives who live in Plano makes me feel this way also. I didn't see the sheer number of blacks, asians, hispanics, etc. that I see in Houston.

I called up two Indian restaurants in town and found out that they weren't even "real Indian" that they had some american indian fusion thing going on. Apparently I need to drive to Las Colinas or the 'burbs for decent Indian. The ones I called were Kalmanchandjis the other was Cosmic Cafe, both were some american-indian fusion thing. Its easy to find authentic Indian restaurants in about every part of Houston (not to mention Vietnamese, Chinese or Thai).
Its because Houston has more ingrained culture and diversity. Deeper roots and multiple generations assure better living for varied groups (hence the better restaurants and, temples and radio stations)

Quote:
I'm sure there are parts like that. I don't think your average Houstonian stares at Indians. Thats the point. I could be wrong, but I also feel the Indians in the Dallas area are the H1B visa worker types. The types that could and probably do get shifted around city to city. I feel that the South asian community in Houston has laid its roots down deeper. For example, there is a Pakistani Houston City council member (MJ Khan). There are 2 Sugar Land city council members that are of Indian ancestery (Thomas Abraham, Harish Jajoo). The president of the Fort Bend Independent School district is Sonal Bhuchar (it is the 7th largest school isd in Texas, and 3rd in the Houston MTA). Several years ago, one large Hindu organization settled on Houston to build its first authentic style temple. I think they did so because of the strong base here (Dallas still doesn't have it, even though Atlanta, Toronto and Chicago do. Here is a photo of the $14mn temple http://www.themahanandi.org/images/h...yanmandir3.jpg. Here is another authentic styled temple in Pearland (outside Houston): http://lh4.ggpht.com/-JHwucZTThsE/TN...U/HPIM0304.JPG. Houston also has I believe the largest Vietnamese and Nigerian populations in the U.S., 2nd largest Pakistani.
Lets just say that Houston is more awesome

Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Metrorail is an urban transit system. Dallas is a rapid transit hybrid urban/suburban commuter system. Two different types of systems. But because Houston's rail will go through already dense areas, I honestly expect them to have as much as DART has now with half the miles built. This is only when the current expansions are done. Houston is going to have higher ridership per mile. This is without the university and uptown lines as well.

Dart should pass 100k when the Orange Line is fully complete. They need to do a better job of attracting riders though. 915 per mile? It could and should be much better.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Metrorail is an urban transit system. Dallas is a rapid transit hybrid urban/suburban commuter system. Two different types of systems. But because Houston's rail will go through already dense areas, I honestly expect them to have as much as DART has now with half the miles built. This is only when the current expansions are done. Houston is going to have higher ridership per mile. This is without the university and uptown lines as well.

Dart should pass 100k when the Orange Line is fully complete. They need to do a better job of attracting riders though. 915 per mile? It could and should be much better.
Houston really should be working on the blue line instead of that green line.

I don't think the green line can match the Red line in ridership so the ridership per mile is definitely going down. The Blue line however can not only match the current ridership it can triple it.

It is going to go down even further with that red line expansion to Northline. Had it stopped in Greenspoint or even Aldine the ridership would have been higher. The 56 goes threw Aldine and Greenspoint, it runs every 15 minutes and is always packed. The 24 buses are usually more empty, especially since that mall closed down.

By the time the Blue line opens the ridership in Houston would have dropped, but I think it will still be higher than Dart, but that green line should have been the last thing they build. The University and Uptown lines should have been built 6 years ago and the SE line should be next. Things like the green line should be coming in now as gravy.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
It's amusing how when Houston posters try to compare what they have to DART's rail system, they have to use terms starting with when, if, will be or should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas