Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,790,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Oh, I wasn't comparing TCU and Rice and saying TCU had deeper pockets and better education.

I just said TCU has people with deep pockets. The reason why I didn't mention Rice's stadium plans is because they have none.... and their football team sucks. That's why.
well sure sounded like you were saying TCU had deeper pockets.

and like I said before, It doesn't matter how Rice Football team play, their reputation is one based on academics, not on something as finicky as sports.

You seriously think minds as refined as those at Rice should be running around with pigskin and slamming into each other?? Uh no thanks.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,794,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
well sure sounded like you were saying TCU had deeper pockets.
Nope.

Quote:
and like I said before, It doesn't matter how Rice Football team play, their reputation is one based on academics, not on something as finicky as sports.

You seriously think minds as refined as those at Rice should be running around with pigskin and slamming into each other?? Uh no thanks.
And that's good.... but we weren't talking about academics.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 PM

882 posts, read 2,237,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Yeah, Robertson only has $51M out of the $85M it needs to get started on construction.
UH just got a major donation of $10 million from some alumni from Austin for the stadium, now only about a 1/4 of the way to go until construction can happen.

UH's stadium project receives boost with $10 million gift | Cougars | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,523,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Oh I knew exactly what you were talking, that is why I said to each his own. You said that Saturdays around TCU are more fun than at Rice (The football implied) and I said to each his own. I meant that while some may find TCU more fun because of the football others may find Rice more fun because of other activities.

Oh, ok. I see what you're saying. But it's not like you listed anything unique that wasn't right next door to TCU as well. In fact, TCU is right down the street from the cultural district and the zoo. It's certainly not dry anywhere around TCU since there's no shortage of pubs within walking distance of campus. TCU is also in one of the nicest neighborhoods in all of Fort Worth.

So, yeah. TCU still wins Saturdays.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Oh, ok. I see what you're saying. But it's not like you listed anything unique that wasn't right next door to TCU as well. In fact, TCU is right down the street from the cultural district and the zoo. It's certainly not dry anywhere around TCU since there's no shortage of pubs within walking distance of campus. TCU is also in one of the nicest neighborhoods in all of Fort Worth.

So, yeah. TCU still wins Saturdays.
Doubt The neigborhoods around TCU can touch West University Place, Rice Village and the Museum District.

Rice has a stop on the Rail that connects it to all the Sports Stadiums, the Medical Center and Downtown.

Rice Village has its own shopping area.

It has the bars and stuff right there.

Sorry but the Arts District around Rice swallows that near TCU.

SO no Rice wins

Old 08-19-2011, 12:52 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,795,455 times
Fort Worth cultural district is the 3rd largest in country. Actually found that out the other day.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,523,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Fort Worth cultural district is the 3rd largest in country. Actually found that out the other day.

Yep.

Htown, I'll give you the light rail and better shopping area, but Fort Worth's museums are absolutely top class and are highly respected around the country. If you've never been to them, might I suggest that YOU take a non-tourist trip to Fort Worth.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,877,047 times
^^Yeah, FW's high class museums (Kimbell and Amon Carter) are really nice. The Modern Art Museum has an awesome design, too.

Quote:
Which is one reason TCU had like 20,000 students apply for admission. A huge chunk of TCU's applicants came from California. Very interesting to say the least. I wonder did TCU Rose Bowl Victory play apart.

TCU sees rising interest from out-of-state students | Mom2MomDFW.com
Seriously? That's the only reason why they got that many applicants from Cali...and that many applicants period. Success in the sporting world, mainly football and basketball, will increase applications. Ask any school that have had good runs. The same thing happened with VCU, for example, after the Final Four (even though they lost).

Quote:
What does this even mean? Is there a list of the largest cultural districts? What is in a cultural district? And is it by land area, because the number of museums isn't that big and most of the FW Cultural District is single family homes (going by the map).

Last edited by Trae713; 08-19-2011 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Yep.

Htown, I'll give you the light rail and better shopping area, but Fort Worth's museums are absolutely top class and are highly respected around the country. If you've never been to them, might I suggest that YOU take a non-tourist trip to Fort Worth.
Oh I have, and I agree with you, but the Houston Museums are better

Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
What does this even mean? Is there a list of the largest cultural districts? What is in a cultural district? And is it by land area, because the number of museums isn't that big and most of the FW Cultural District is single family homes (going by the map).
There are over 40 Museums in Houston.

Huge Museums.

And they are highly visited.

The Museum of Fine Arts is the 8th most visited ART Museum in the US:
List of most visited art museums in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOl, The FW Cultural District website says this:
Quote:
Where else but Texas will you find six world class museums all in one setting?
LMAO. Sorry to laugh but 6??? Houston has a lot more World Class Museums than that in one setting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas