U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-14-2011, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago
1,257 posts, read 1,141,711 times
Reputation: 1105
It's been fun but I have to run. I am at work and all.


See you guys later.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
 
343 posts, read 349,198 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You Dallas folk need to see the real Houston and stop thinking Only Dallas has nice places.

Houston's River Oaks is the original Upscale hood and still the best.

In everything you guys do you assume you are the only ones.

Things that you guys do we have been doing for 100 years.

chill with that.

You guys sound so silly when you say crap like you have nicer neighborhoods like all there is to Houston is Third ward.

I bet all of y'all just got off the greyhound, took a couple of spins around town and think you saw Houston, and then think Preston Hollow is the best thing since sliced bread.

lmao
I dont think anyone said Houston only has one nice neighborhood. Let me tell you I HAVE been to Houston (many many times at that, and I have explored much of the city- which I really like a lot) and I love many of the neighborhoods. The only thing I was doing was showing that these income figures you were parading on the smackdown were false due to the fact that Dallas doesn't establish tiny wealthy enclaves like Houston.

So lets not get too hotheaded... I dont even think Preston Hollow is the best neighborhood in Dallas, although the homes are beautiful and the old estate section is excellent.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 14,838,097 times
Reputation: 7236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Houston 3,623/sq mi.

I guess Arlington, Plano, and Garland are more dense than Houston as well?


Of course not.
Arlington, Plano and Garland are not our suburbs. we keep those guys in check. you won't find our burbs competing with us for density. Even tho we are bigger than the moon, we still are denser than our burbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
The only thing I was doing was showing that these income figures you were parading on the smackdown were false due to the fact that Dallas doesn't establish tiny wealthy enclaves like Houston.

but even that argument doesn't fly.

first off you can take the entire metros if you like and Houston metro still ends up with the higher personal income.


secondly what do you mean by est tiny enclaves?

West U has 15,000 people, the memorial villages have thousands more.

And that is not even counting the tens of thousands who live in the city itself. Some of the most expensive houses in the metro are in the city itself in areas like the Museum District, Montrose, Meyerland, RiverSide Terrace, Washington Terrace, etc etc

and finally facts are facts. Nothing false about . If you think they are false, take it up with the US Government and tell them they are putting out false data
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2011, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
4,532 posts, read 3,391,097 times
Reputation: 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Wow, Is that true?
Yep!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2011, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
4,532 posts, read 3,391,097 times
Reputation: 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
There are lots of cultural amenities in FW, Arlington, Plano, Irving, etc

FW has the better zoo, great sporting venues, great perfoming art venues, etc etc

you know very well that Dallas cannot compete with Houston alone.



lol, I think it is your envy that is stifling you.

just release it and admit, Houston is a better city. You will live a better life for it
What sporting venues? There's only one famous performing arts venue in Fort Worth, that's the Bass.

The Dallas Zoo has really improved. The expansion made it so much better. What cultural amenities are in Irving, Plano, and Arlington. Please enlighten me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2011, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
4,532 posts, read 3,391,097 times
Reputation: 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
He is actually right. There are about a handful of cities in NTexas that are more dense than Dallas


Arlington 3,871.8/sq mi
Plano 3,820.2/sq m
Garland 3,778/sq mi
.
.
.
Dallas 3,697.44/sq mi
Have you seen the size of the city limits. I have been to Garland, Plano, and Arlington many times. Those cities are VERY suburban. There's nothing urban about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2011, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,265 posts, read 12,406,425 times
Reputation: 4701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
And where have you backed up your assertion that Dallas suburbs contribute to its density? What a joke! That's rich coming from you, somebody who doesn't live in EITHER city but talks out of his ass on both CONSTANTLY.


Obviously, Dallas freeways have bad traffic, too. Three things:

1. Conjestion isn't limited to freeways. I hate freeways and avoid them. But you don't need a freeway to get around the city proper. I can get anywhere inside 635 in 30 minutes or less on backroads. I DARE you to do that in Houston, a city TWICE the size of Dallas and TWICE AS CROWDED.

2. Dallas freeways have been outdated for some time and are currently undergoing expansion projects. Let's see that list again after Dallas finally gets the TxDOT love they've been neglected from for years.

3. Houston has four of the top 10 conjested areas in Texas according to that list. Looks like I wasn't too far off.
I've lived in both Dallas & Houston off & on for the past 11 years dude for school & work. I'm only back in my hometown of Tyler because of an illness in the family otherwise I would be in Dallas or Houston right now.

Here's some of the most recent places I've laid my head at night:

North Dallas off of Midway @ Rosemeade
Lewisville off of Hebron Parkway & I-35
Irving off of Beltline
Grand Prairie off of 360
Arlington off of 30 & Randall Mill
East Fort Worth near Eastchase

Houston off of 1960 @ Champions
Houston off of Beechnut @ Highway 6 in "New" Chinatown

Why do I have to prove myself to you anyways?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2011, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Southeast TX
659 posts, read 660,540 times
Reputation: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has way more culture than Dallas will ever have. I thought everyone knew that by now.

Get a real Chinatown/s, Little Saigon, Little India/Pakistan like over on Hillcroft then we'll talk. Sorry your ran down little Korea Town over off of Harry Hines where all the one legged hookers hang out doesn't count. Stop relying on your suburbs so much to make you look so important. If it weren't for Dallas' massive suburbs & Fort Worth there would be no culture in North Texas period.

True.. I will also like to add that Piney Point Village, (Houston) is the richest neighborhood in Texas..very nice neighborhood..but i still think River Oaks and West University are the best..You can also find some nice homes in 3rd Ward and yes I'm serious 3rd WARD!!

Texas locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,408 posts, read 2,006,011 times
Reputation: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
I've lived in both-and I just don't agree that Dallas development is better than Houston's. Moreover, you can't even find a really nice, upscale liquor store in the core of Dallas (e.g., Spec's in Houston's Midtown). Backward, conservative place, really...
Specs is opening in Dallas.
Goody Goody Liquor is a very nice chain of liquor stores in Dallas.

Last edited by R1070; 09-14-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 PM
 
343 posts, read 349,198 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Arlington, Plano and Garland are not our suburbs. we keep those guys in check. you won't find our burbs competing with us for density. Even tho we are bigger than the moon, we still are denser than our burbs.




but even that argument doesn't fly.

first off you can take the entire metros if you like and Houston metro still ends up with the higher personal income.


secondly what do you mean by est tiny enclaves?

West U has 15,000 people, the memorial villages have thousands more.

And that is not even counting the tens of thousands who live in the city itself. Some of the most expensive houses in the metro are in the city itself in areas like the Museum District, Montrose, Meyerland, RiverSide Terrace, Washington Terrace, etc etc

and finally facts are facts. Nothing false about . If you think they are false, take it up with the US Government and tell them they are putting out false data
Again im not saying anything about the neighborhoods, but the simple fact that Houston incorporates these neighborhoods into municipalities is why they are on the list, and Dallas' premier neighborhoods are not. It does not have to do with the neighborhoods themselves, but simply the way they are organized. I never said facts aren't facts, I am simply saying these do not paint the whole picture.

And Houston's income may be higher in the metro, but Dallas has higher per capital, household, family, male, and female incomes in the city.

Regardless, the wealth between the two cities is really not all that dissimilar.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top