Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 PM

328 posts, read 467,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Well to the opposite, do you all ever think outside the loop? is there anything to do outside the loop? just a valid question.
I've often wondered that myself. From reading these posts over the years, it seems all the emphasis is "ITL." They tout the sports stadiums inside the loop. The Museum District is ITL. The Texas Medical Center is there. The other day someone bragged of an "upscale liquor store" in the urban core, as if that were an earth-shattering attraction. Most of the tony restaurants and upscale shopping are inside the loop.

Then there is this strange obsession with density, as if huge numbers of people living inside a car-dependent loop was some kind of panacea, instead of an all-day traffic jam, as hundreds of thousands of people driving alone in their cars and SUVs commute to and from work, run errands and entertain themselves inside what is geographically a small area, all competing for the same parking spots. Ever drive near the Galleria around Christmastime at 5:30 p.m.?

I feel sorry for the millions of people who live outside the much-vaunted loop. From reading these posts, it sounds as if they are deprived of the best the city has to offer. It's all "inside the loop."

Old 09-16-2011, 09:21 PM

4,419 posts, read 6,234,482 times
Dallas alone gives Houston a pretty good run for the money. Add in the huge suburbs with their offerings and Fort Worth and you've got a pretty dynamic area.

Houston is similar to Dallas without having someplace like FW next door to add some interesting variety.

Again, I don't see how having 2 large cities in close proximity forming a large metro area is a bad thing. It almost comes off as jealousy because otherwise the negativity just doesn't make much sense.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Quote:
Dallas alone gives Houston a pretty good run for the money. Add in the huge suburbs with their offerings and Fort Worth and you've got a pretty dynamic area.

Houston is similar to Dallas without having someplace like FW next door to add some interesting variety.

Again, I don't see how having 2 large cities in close proximity forming a large metro area is a bad thing. It almost comes off as jealousy because otherwise the negativity just doesn't make much sense.
No,not even. Dallas alone definitely does not give Houston a run for its money alone. How can you even say that? I agree that having two different major cities gives the area an interesting feel, as do some of the suburbs. But Houston is like combining those two cities, as well as some amenities from some suburbs, and putting it all in one area. Dallas alone can not compete with Houston. Houston is the center of a region of over six million people. You don't think that it would have more to offer than Dallas, which isn't the core of DFW, just the largest one? And Galveston, though not as large as FW, gives the Houston area some variety. The thing is, most of DFW looks and feels the same. The landscape of this place doesn't vary much. In Houston, you have the ocean, pine forests, and prairie, so even though there isn't another major city, different areas of Houston look and feel a lot different than others. And who is saying having two maon cities ia a bad thing? Only thing I've seen is people say Dallas alone can't compete with Houston, because it can't. Dallas needs help from another main city to form a more dynamic metro area to compete with Houston, a city that stands alone. There are tons of examples of Dallas and Fort Worth being separate cities this day (area codes, zip codes, long distance calling from Dallas to FW, design of the freeway system, etc).

Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 PM

4,419 posts, read 6,234,482 times
I hope people don't think that Dallas people travel to FW that often to take in the culture. People in Dallas will go to FW for the occassional trip to take in the sights, but by no means would you need to leave Dallas to do anything you would like to do. I think posters are being a bit delusional by down playing the offerings that Dallas provides. One would think that when you live in Dallas you need to travel to FW often to entertain yourself. I've only been to FW 3 times. Ever. I rarely even leave loop 12 in Dallas. You really don't need to.

And yes in fact Dallas alone does give Houston a run for it's money. I don't see how anyone wouldn't see that. Perhaps when I visited Houston there was a whole other city that I failed to see because to me it isn't some amazing place that knocks Dallas' socks off. I like Houston fine, but I think the people that live there hold it to a higher regard than those who do not.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 PM

343 posts, read 800,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is one gigantic flood plain. Houston has hundreds of bayous all over the city that are prone to flooding. Hell the Buffalo Bayou which snakes though Downtown Houston appears to carry more water than the Trinity, which is several miles away from DT Dallas.

http://texashurricane.wordpress.com/

Next please.
HA okay to be totally honest I would much rather have an extensive floodplain that hinders some development than our roads being underwater in a big storm... (although maybe this was taken during Allison which was devastating, but at least Dallas doesnt have tropical storms!)

And seriously I prefer Dallas' layout. If the inner loop of Houston was walkable and had good public transit, there would be many benefits to it, but honestly it is incredibly congested and overcrowded. Way too much car dependency for an area with so many things. Sure there are great amenities, but Dallas has them too and so what that they are spread out?

The only ones that definitely should be in the city are the sporting stadiums (baseball in particular) but otherwise I prefer our layout. It limits congestion and provides better access for all residents no matter where they live. Its not like we lack an urban core (our downtown/uptown/west village/design district is better than whats found in central Houston), and the city of Dallas is still impressive itself, just not as densely packed with all our amenities. Although really, the majority of what DFW has to offer is in the city

Old 09-16-2011, 10:10 PM

6,620 posts, read 9,830,901 times
Quote:
I hope people don't think that Dallas people travel to FW that often to take in the culture. People in Dallas will go to FW for the occassional trip to take in the sights, but by no means would you need to leave Dallas to do anything you would like to do. I think posters are being a bit delusional by down playing the offerings that Dallas provides. One would think that when you live in Dallas you need to travel to FW often to entertain yourself. I've only been to FW 3 times. Ever. I rarely even leave loop 12 in Dallas. You really don't need to.

And yes in fact Dallas alone does give Houston a run for it's money. I don't see how anyone wouldn't see that. Perhaps when I visited Houston there was a whole other city that I failed to see because to me it isn't some amazing place that knocks Dallas' socks off. I like Houston fine, but I think the people that live there hold it to a higher regard than those who do not.
I've only been to Fort Worth once. I rarely go out of Dallas County. I do everything in Dallas. I only go to the burbs to see my family/friends and to shop with my mom in Mesquite. (We mostly go to North Dallas or Oak Cliff to shop)

These are the suburbs I visit often

Lancaster (Sometimes)
Duncanville (sometimes)
Cedar Hill (every once in a while)
Mesquite (Very often)

Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 PM

343 posts, read 800,421 times
Same here. Live in Bluffview and only go out of the city for very specific reasons. Everything I need is here but I love exploring the cool areas the city has to offer

Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Same here. Live in Bluffview and only go out of the city for very specific reasons. Everything I need is here but I love exploring the cool areas the city has to offer
Wow! I have never heard of the Bluffview until today. I learn new things about Dallas everyday. According to Wikipedia, it's a upscale area of Dallas.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:38 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Quote:

It's the simple fact that its two cities versus one. When someone in Dallas wants to see the Rangers, Cowboys, or FC Dallas play, where do they go? It can be argued that the top museums in the area are in Fort Worth. Dallas can not compete against Houston alone, its obvious. I don't even know why that's being debated. Houston just simply has more to offer since its the only principle city. Everything in its region revolves around it. North Texas does not revolve around Dallas. The wealth and attractions are more spread out in the two different metro divisions. They just happen to be close enough to form one because youre right, most people in Fort Worth have no reason to go to Dallas and vice versa. Fort Worth has what you need in a big city, as does Dallas. Each with their own suburbs, etc. Houston area residents will find themselves in Houston one way or another, because its THE big city. There isn't another city with its own suburbs in Houston. Therefore, Houston has to simply support more people, while Dallas doesn't.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
It's the simple fact that its two cities versus one. When someone in Dallas wants to see the Rangers, Cowboys, or FC Dallas play, where do they go? It can be argued that the top museums in the area are in Fort Worth. Dallas can not compete against Houston alone, its obvious. I don't even know why that's being debated. Houston just simply has more to offer since its the only principle city. Everything in its region revolves around it. North Texas doea not revolve around Dallas. The wealth and attractions are more spread out in the two different metro divisions. They just happen to be close enough to forn one because youre right, most proper in Fort Worth have no reason to go to Dallas and vice versa. Houston area residents will find themselves in Houston one way or another, because its THE big city.
That's your opinion. Other people might think differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas