U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 11:58 PM

659 posts, read 1,246,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
LOL
Sitting back and reading these posts without being involved in the back and forth is actually quite amusing.
No, Houston is not superior to Dallas. But, for many (most who actually live here?) it does provide a better quality of life. I lived in north Texas back in the day and maintain contact. Nice place.

I think you hit on something in that Houstonians are in fact sick of having Dallas exalted while Houston is disparaged. The same problems exist in both cities. One city has more "show"; and the other has more "realism." Whose to say?
Rate this post positively

Old 10-01-2011, 12:03 AM

659 posts, read 1,246,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yes but urban doesn't refer to the location of the lake, it refers to aspects of city life around the lake. The area around WR Lake is.... natural. Not city like at all.

Lady Bird Lake would qualify:
http://img4.southernliving.com/i/200...-l.jpg?400:400
http://www.austintowers.net/Austin_D...l_waller_creek
Urban and Texas don't necessarily mix too well. Right? If you're familiar with Dallas you wouldn't argue the fact that White Rock is a very large part of "classic Dallas." Period. Let's move on... (BTW: Houston all the way!!)

Old 10-01-2011, 12:03 AM

8,931 posts, read 12,532,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
LOL
Sitting back and reading these posts without being involved in the back and forth is actually quite amusing.

I think if the DFW posters said something as simple as "the sky in Dallas is blue" the Houston posters would pounce and try their hardest to tear down that statement to prove to the DFW posters that they are in fact wrong and misinformed and inferior.

I don't understand where this defensive attacking is coming from. I have heard some awful and ridiculous claims about Dallas in this thread from the Houston posters, but haven't seen the same level of hatred toward Houston from the DFW posters. If anything DFW is just trying to prove that it is not as horrible of a place the Houston posters would like to portray it as.

Perhaps all of this comes from sources that claim Dallas is better than Houston and the Houston posters get sick of hearing that and become defensive, I'm not sure, but attacking everything about Dallas and every claim about Dallas is just ridiculous and not mature or justified. It gives Houston a bad reputation which extends beyond this thread. Which is unfortunate because I actually like Houston. I just don't like the attitude from Houston on this thread. It is not superior to Dallas, sorry.
So so true. I pointed this out a while back about how some of the Houston posters seemed to be doing most of the bashing. But of course, who else, but a Houstonian, would tell me that it was the other way around. Yeah, right.

I personally don't see either city as being more superior than the other. Houston does hold a special place in my heart (as corny as that sounds), but I like both for different reasons, and I'm going to speak up if I hear something false being said about either city.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:37 AM

325 posts, read 411,191 times
Quote:
yes but urban doesn't refer to the location of the lake, it refers to aspects of city life around the lake. The area around WR Lake is.... natural. Not city like at all.

Lady Bird Lake would qualify:
http://img4.southernliving.com/i/200...-l.jpg?400:400
http://www.austintowers.net/Austin_D...l_waller_creek
It is time to retire this subject of the thread once and for all.

White Rock Lake Neighborhood in East Dallas: Douglas Newby Specializes in White Rock Lake Homes for Sale, White Rock Lake Real Estate, Homes on West Lawther Drive, Lakewood Homes for Sale, Estate Homes, Historic and Architect Designed Homes, Modern H
White Rock Lake is not only the recreational centerpiece for the White Rock Lake neighborhoods, but for all of Dallas. The largest man-made urban lake in the country, White Rock Lake is nine miles around and is enjoyed by a continuous stream of cyclists, runners, and walkers. The natural woods and meadows are certified sites for Audubon Society bird watchers and bird counters.
Please take a moment to read down the page to see some of the properties for sale around the lake.
Iconic homes and estates surround the lake, including the Camp Estate and DeGolyer Estate, now used as part of the Dallas Arboretum, and H.L. Hunt's Mount Vernon found on eight acres. Modernists like Frank Welch, Mark Domiteaux and others have built contemporary homes taking advantage of this beautiful site. Sailing clubs, rowing clubs, and cultural events add to the life of this destination. Forest Hills, Little Forest Hills, Lakewood, The Cloisters, and West Lawther Drive are some of the neighborhoods that surround White Rock Lake.
White Rock Lake
Urban Lake situated in East Dallas, notable for long bicycle and walking trails. West side dominated by curving avenue bordering historical neighborhoods and impressive houses. East side includes a small marina, the Bath House Cultural Center, the Dallas Arboretum at the DeGolyer Mansion, and many smaller parks, athletic fields and miles of trails.Each side has a peaceful view of the gently rippling waters of the lake.
City Puts Out the Call For "Iconic," Quarter-Million-Buck Sculpture For White Rock Lake - Dallas News - Unfair Park
Dallas - White Rock Lake, a historic destination park in the Dallas Park System, was completed in 1911. The 1,015 acre city lake is located at 8300 East Lawther Drive serves as a recreational lake for the city of Dallas. This urban lake is enjoyed by over 2 million visitors each year.
White Rock’s Second Chance | | TPW magazine | July 2007 (is anyone seriously going to dispute Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine?)
Despite White Rock’s age and urban location, the fish population is abundant and generally free of pollutants, notes Tom Hungerford, a TPWD fisheries biologist for lakes in Dallas, Denton, Rockwall and Tarrant counties (except Lake Ray Roberts). Motor horsepower restrictions limit the amount of boat fishing here.
Urban lakes are much more of a challenge because things can change so quickly,” Sager explains. “Construction projects far out into the watershed can have a great effect on the reservoir, as do fertilizing practices. Many of us fall into the trap of thinking that if a little is good, more is better. With fertilizers, that only works to a point without having ramifications. Things done individually can have drastic effects in an urban situation when looked at in the aggregate.”
White Rock Lake General Subject Files, 1921 - 1953 Archives Collections Finding Guides and Inventories (this is an official City of Dallas site)
White Rock Lake is a 1,015 acre urban lake owned by the City of Dallas. Its main entrance is located at 8300 East Lawther Drive. and includes a variety of outdoor activities, including a 9.33 mile hike and bike trail; an Audubon Society-designated bird watching area and wetlands site; picnic areas, and three rental facilities (Winfrey Point, the Dreyfuss Club, and Big Thicket). The lake also includes fishing piers, sailing facilities (Corinthian Sailing Club) and a meeting and event facility, the White Rock Bath House Cultural Center, located 521 E. Lawther Drive. The lake is fed by nine tributaries, including White Rock Creek, and was created as a reservoir for the City of Dallas. The City of Dallas purchased the land for White Rock Lake between 1907 and 1910; construction began in the Spring of 1910 and was completed in the Fall of 1911. Supervision of the parkland of White Rock Lake was transferred from Dallas Water Utilities to the Dallas Park Board in 1929 as White Rock Lake Park was created.
Bass Fishing Report #53907 for White Rock Lake, Texas on 4/23/2001 (a report from a fisherman from 10 years ago)
Date Fished: 4/23/2001
Water Temperature: 68
Water Clarity: 6 inches

Yes, you heard me, White Rock Lake. I've caught two double digit bass in my life, and it was not Fork, Cooper, or Ray Bob that gave them up. One came from White Rock (urban lake in Dallas), other came from a pond on Preston Road. Lots of bass in White Rock, very little pressure.
Barbecs, Dallas TX 75218 -- MerchantCircle.com (from a restaurant review for Barbec's, a great old-school diner)
The Best Beer Biscuits and Gravy you will find anywhere, plus the largest best chicken fried steak!!!! The extra to this restaurant is that it is close to the largest inner urban lake in the USA, White Rock Lake. Oh, I can not forget that.
Need I go on?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:23 AM

5,720 posts, read 8,123,972 times
Quote:
its best you do that instead of posting nonsense here about DFW making up for their lack of beaches by having mountains. Puhlease,
We have Slipdown Mountain in DFW! LOL

Old 10-01-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
It is time to retire this subject of the thread once and for all.

White Rock Lake Neighborhood in East Dallas: Douglas Newby Specializes in White Rock Lake Homes for Sale, White Rock Lake Real Estate, Homes on West Lawther Drive, Lakewood Homes for Sale, Estate Homes, Historic and Architect Designed Homes, Modern H
White Rock Lake is not only the recreational centerpiece for the White Rock Lake neighborhoods, but for all of Dallas. The largest man-made urban lake in the country, White Rock Lake is nine miles around and is enjoyed by a continuous stream of cyclists, runners, and walkers. The natural woods and meadows are certified sites for Audubon Society bird watchers and bird counters.
Please take a moment to read down the page to see some of the properties for sale around the lake.
Iconic homes and estates surround the lake, including the Camp Estate and DeGolyer Estate, now used as part of the Dallas Arboretum, and H.L. Hunt's Mount Vernon found on eight acres. Modernists like Frank Welch, Mark Domiteaux and others have built contemporary homes taking advantage of this beautiful site. Sailing clubs, rowing clubs, and cultural events add to the life of this destination. Forest Hills, Little Forest Hills, Lakewood, The Cloisters, and West Lawther Drive are some of the neighborhoods that surround White Rock Lake.
White Rock Lake
Urban Lake situated in East Dallas, notable for long bicycle and walking trails. West side dominated by curving avenue bordering historical neighborhoods and impressive houses. East side includes a small marina, the Bath House Cultural Center, the Dallas Arboretum at the DeGolyer Mansion, and many smaller parks, athletic fields and miles of trails.Each side has a peaceful view of the gently rippling waters of the lake.
City Puts Out the Call For "Iconic," Quarter-Million-Buck Sculpture For White Rock Lake - Dallas News - Unfair Park
Dallas - White Rock Lake, a historic destination park in the Dallas Park System, was completed in 1911. The 1,015 acre city lake is located at 8300 East Lawther Drive serves as a recreational lake for the city of Dallas. This urban lake is enjoyed by over 2 million visitors each year.
White Rock’s Second Chance | | TPW magazine | July 2007 (is anyone seriously going to dispute Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine?)
Despite White Rock’s age and urban location, the fish population is abundant and generally free of pollutants, notes Tom Hungerford, a TPWD fisheries biologist for lakes in Dallas, Denton, Rockwall and Tarrant counties (except Lake Ray Roberts). Motor horsepower restrictions limit the amount of boat fishing here.
Urban lakes are much more of a challenge because things can change so quickly,” Sager explains. “Construction projects far out into the watershed can have a great effect on the reservoir, as do fertilizing practices. Many of us fall into the trap of thinking that if a little is good, more is better. With fertilizers, that only works to a point without having ramifications. Things done individually can have drastic effects in an urban situation when looked at in the aggregate.”
White Rock Lake General Subject Files, 1921 - 1953 Archives Collections Finding Guides and Inventories (this is an official City of Dallas site)
White Rock Lake is a 1,015 acre urban lake owned by the City of Dallas. Its main entrance is located at 8300 East Lawther Drive. and includes a variety of outdoor activities, including a 9.33 mile hike and bike trail; an Audubon Society-designated bird watching area and wetlands site; picnic areas, and three rental facilities (Winfrey Point, the Dreyfuss Club, and Big Thicket). The lake also includes fishing piers, sailing facilities (Corinthian Sailing Club) and a meeting and event facility, the White Rock Bath House Cultural Center, located 521 E. Lawther Drive. The lake is fed by nine tributaries, including White Rock Creek, and was created as a reservoir for the City of Dallas. The City of Dallas purchased the land for White Rock Lake between 1907 and 1910; construction began in the Spring of 1910 and was completed in the Fall of 1911. Supervision of the parkland of White Rock Lake was transferred from Dallas Water Utilities to the Dallas Park Board in 1929 as White Rock Lake Park was created.
Bass Fishing Report #53907 for White Rock Lake, Texas on 4/23/2001 (a report from a fisherman from 10 years ago)
Date Fished: 4/23/2001
Water Temperature: 68
Water Clarity: 6 inches

Yes, you heard me, White Rock Lake. I've caught two double digit bass in my life, and it was not Fork, Cooper, or Ray Bob that gave them up. One came from White Rock (urban lake in Dallas), other came from a pond on Preston Road. Lots of bass in White Rock, very little pressure.
Barbecs, Dallas TX 75218 -- MerchantCircle.com (from a restaurant review for Barbec's, a great old-school diner)
The Best Beer Biscuits and Gravy you will find anywhere, plus the largest best chicken fried steak!!!! The extra to this restaurant is that it is close to the largest inner urban lake in the USA, White Rock Lake. Oh, I can not forget that.
Need I go on?
Take that Houston! LOL

Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
What are you not getting??? We're located near the gulf; Dallas needs to lakes because it's landlocked and dry compared to Houston. It's that simple. There really in no need to pollute our city with random lakes. We have options; we have our lakes and the beaches and trust Houston area offers some of the best lakes in the state.
Dry?!? Have you heard of the Trinity River and its tributaries? The rivers and creeks feed the numerous lakes around North Texas.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Lakes Conroe, Houston, & Livingston to the north, Gulf of Mexico to the South.

What more could one ask for?

How low are the lake levels up in Dallas these days? Our Gulf & Bay never gets low on water.
Lewisville Lake, Lake Worth, Lake Arlington, Lake Ray Hubbard, Joe Pool Lake, Lake Levon, White Rock Lake, Mountain Creek Lake, Grapevine Lake, etc.

The Lakes in DFW are not dried up at all. Heck, Dallas isn't under any water restrictions.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:10 AM

18,509 posts, read 29,462,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
We have Slipdown Mountain in DFW! LOL
lol, how could I have forgotten. Now I have to apologize to Nairobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Dry?!? Have you heard of the Trinity River and its tributaries? The rivers and creeks feed the numerous lakes around North Texas.

Don't think he is saying that the lakes are dry Hun. Think he meant that Dallas is dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Urban and Texas don't necessarily mix too well. Right? If you're familiar with Dallas you wouldn't argue the fact that White Rock is a very large part of "classic Dallas."
sorry, but you have me confused with someone else. I never argued that it wasn't part of Dallas life. You must have read that from someone else.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
lol, how could I have forgotten. Now I have to apologize to Nairobi

Don't think he is saying that the lakes are dry Hun. Think he meant that Dallas is dry.
I know. I'm saying we have the Trinity River and its tributaries, so how is Dallas dry? Then I decided to add something about the lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or