Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 06:19 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
If you add in Fort Worth's city limit land and population as well as Dallas', and they are larger in land area, but smaller in population.
These are rough estimates off the top of my head...but of the 6.2-6.4 million people in the Metroplex currently,

roughly 2/3rd of them live on the Dallas side of DFW Int'l, and the other 1/3 lives on the Ft. Worth side.

The Ft. Worth side is the more sparsely populated of the two sides for a variety of historical reasons.

Now that will change over the next few decades as the Dallas side is running out of space....though Rockwall and McKinney/Melissa/Anna/Prosper are all growing, Ft. Worth side and its suburbs are expected to fill in a lot of holes that currently exists on that side...perhaps trying to rid itself of the perception that it's a "small town".

Now the Ft. Worth side is actually larger in population than the KC Metro area, Denver Metro etc....but the set up and the many gaps and holes that need to be filled make it feel like it's a smaller town. That will change for better or for worse depending on who you talk to.

B/c lots of people like the DFW area for the "best of both worlds"...urban sophisticate in Dallas and laid back "Western" in Ft. worth.
With Ft. Worth's uptown plans, and plans to fill in many holes and gaps, and its modernization plans, it may sacrifice some of the attributes that gave it uniqueness in TExas to begin with.
But at the same time, in order to stay competitive and marketable, it may have to change with the times to meet the consumer demand of new urbanism.

I"m not taking a stance either way. I do see the benefits of having both areas...just like Tampa/St. Pete, Miami/Ft. Luaderdale/W. Palm Beach, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, KC/KC, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle/Tacoma.
It does add flavor to a metro area....and even Galveston adds to Houston as much as people criticize and praise Galveston.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 AM

10 posts, read 59,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I hope no one from outside the state is reading this...
Yeah, it's funny. I think there is more competition and animosity between Dallas & Houston than between Texas and all the Texas haters out there. And there are plenty of those.

I've lived in both Dallas and Houston a couple of times each in childhood and as an adult and I've never really understood the rivalry. What is the root of it?

Did Dallasites conduct a panty raid on Houston? Steal a mascot? Paper your houses? Take apart your cars and rebuild them in your offices?

What I do know is that Houstonians in general hate...HATE Dallas, while Dallasites in general don't really care one way or the other about Houston. It seems more like a one way rivalry, really. To me anyway.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:33 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaDog View Post
Yeah, it's funny. I think there is more competition and animosity between Dallas & Houston than between Texas and all the Texas haters out there. And there are plenty of those.

I've lived in both Dallas and Houston a couple of times each in childhood and as an adult and I've never really understood the rivalry. What is the root of it?

Did Dallasites conduct a panty raid on Houston? Steal a mascot? Paper your houses? Take apart your cars and rebuild them in your offices?

What I do know is that Houstonians in general hate...HATE Dallas, while Dallasites in general don't really care one way or the other about Houston. It seems more like a one way rivalry, really. To me anyway.
I don't know, there are a few tough rivalries up in the northeast too...

Anyway, the Dallas/Houston hate thing seems almost like the opposite to me... mention anything good about Houston to some Dallasites and they look at you like you just farted... with Houstonians it seem more like they dislike some of the people and their attitudes (for things like what I just mentioned) rather than the city itself....

Old 08-30-2007, 12:27 PM

10 posts, read 59,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
I don't know, there are a few tough rivalries up in the northeast too...
This is true. I live in The Philly area now, and of course they hate Dallas (and Texas in general), but that is more of a football thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
mention anything good about Houston to some Dallasites and they look at you like you just farted
There is some truth to that as well. In my experience, some Dallasites may not think highly of Houston and may react that way, but they don't typically vocalize it or initiate the negativity. It seems that quite a few Houstonians take any chance they can to be snarky about Dallas.

Again, just my experience having lived in both cities. I still work out of a Houston office, and look forward to any chance I get to travel back to Texas. Be it Dallas or Houston. Either one is superior to many places, and both are far better than where I am now. I sure hope I can move back soon.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:14 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
These are rough estimates off the top of my head...but of the 6.2-6.4 million people in the Metroplex currently,

roughly 2/3rd of them live on the Dallas side of DFW Int'l, and the other 1/3 lives on the Ft. Worth side.

The Ft. Worth side is the more sparsely populated of the two sides for a variety of historical reasons.

Now that will change over the next few decades as the Dallas side is running out of space....though Rockwall and McKinney/Melissa/Anna/Prosper are all growing, Ft. Worth side and its suburbs are expected to fill in a lot of holes that currently exists on that side...perhaps trying to rid itself of the perception that it's a "small town".

Now the Ft. Worth side is actually larger in population than the KC Metro area, Denver Metro etc....but the set up and the many gaps and holes that need to be filled make it feel like it's a smaller town. That will change for better or for worse depending on who you talk to.

B/c lots of people like the DFW area for the "best of both worlds"...urban sophisticate in Dallas and laid back "Western" in Ft. worth.
With Ft. Worth's uptown plans, and plans to fill in many holes and gaps, and its modernization plans, it may sacrifice some of the attributes that gave it uniqueness in TExas to begin with.
But at the same time, in order to stay competitive and marketable, it may have to change with the times to meet the consumer demand of new urbanism.

I"m not taking a stance either way. I do see the benefits of having both areas...just like Tampa/St. Pete, Miami/Ft. Luaderdale/W. Palm Beach, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, KC/KC, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle/Tacoma.
It does add flavor to a metro area....and even Galveston adds to Houston as much as people criticize and praise Galveston.
Well, as of 2007, DFW has a population of 6.1 million. A little over four million are in Dallas, and a little under two million are on the Fort Worth side.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:58 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Guerilla is right. Even if you add the city limts square mileage of just Fort Worth and Dallas, it comes out larger than Houston's but the population is still smaller ( just Dallas and Ft. Worth, not including the suburbs).

I disagree with the poster who said the Dallas VS Houston is a one way rivalry. People from both cities take jabs at eachother. Dallas Morning News has written topics talking about : "Houston, that sinking feeling. Will anyone miss it?" Radio shows in Dallas have referred to Houston as a toilet or the armpit of Texas. In the run off for the olympics, a few Dallas representatives told them to be careful of the Houston horrors (refering to the mosquitos). I found that one funny because Texas has mosquitos all together which doesn't make Dallas exempt from that but they can open their mouth about Houston! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Dallas thinks they are number one because they are the biggest metro in Texas when you include all of Fort Worth statistics. Houston usually does things first (exept light rail) and Dallas always trys to top everything that Houston does. So no way can anyone say that Dallas isn't concerned about Houston.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Well, as of 2007, DFW has a population of 6.1 million. A little over four million are in Dallas, and a little under two million are on the Fort Worth side.
Depends on what you define as DFW.

NTCOG and the US Census are differeing in their numbers by a few hundred thousand people...but in 2010, there will be more counties added onto the DFW Metroplex. The range depending on what you use is 6.1 to 6.4 million from multiple different organizations...but once again, I was just trying to prove a general point..but if you want to be specific, we can use the US Census Bureau b/c that is the gold standard...though the Census Bureau will be hearing arguments from NTCOG a/b inclusion of areas that are currently not included. It doesnt change the argument.

Again, though, and you know this...it was more generalizing and illustrating the point a/b the vast difference in population b/t the ft. worth side of the airport and the dallas side and future trends that will be taking place over the next few decades rather than being exact.

I figure the "exact" arguments have been already exhausted as we have discussed Houston vs. Dallas populations in and out already from previous posts.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Guerilla is right. Even if you add the city limts square mileage of just Fort Worth and Dallas, it comes out larger than Houston's but the population is still smaller ( just Dallas and Ft. Worth, not including the suburbs).

I disagree with the poster who said the Dallas VS Houston is a one way rivalry. People from both cities take jabs at eachother. Dallas Morning News has written topics talking about : "Houston, that sinking feeling. Will anyone miss it?" Radio shows in Dallas have referred to Houston as a toilet or the armpit of Texas. In the run off for the olympics, a few Dallas representatives told them to be careful of the Houston horrors (refering to the mosquitos). I found that one funny because Texas has mosquitos all together which doesn't make Dallas exempt from that but they can open their mouth about Houston! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Dallas thinks they are number one because they are the biggest metro in Texas when you include all of Fort Worth statistics. Houston usually does things first (exept light rail) and Dallas always trys to top everything that Houston does. So no way can anyone say that Dallas isn't concerned about Houston.
And Houston thinks they're number one b/c they have the largest city proper.

It's all subjective. I feel Dallas is better. You feel Houston is better.

As for firsts, there are a lot of things in Dallas that are exclusive to the state of Texas also. And there are things in Houston that are exclusive to the state of Texas as well.
IT all boils down to the subjective opinion of the pro-dallasites and pro houstonians.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM

42 posts, read 164,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
And Houston thinks they're number one b/c they have the largest city proper.

It's all subjective. I feel Dallas is better. You feel Houston is better.

As for firsts, there are a lot of things in Dallas that are exclusive to the state of Texas also. And there are things in Houston that are exclusive to the state of Texas as well.
IT all boils down to the subjective opinion of the pro-dallasites and pro houstonians.
Exactly. I feel Dallas is better as well, because I was born and raised in this area. Any Houstonians will obviously prefer Houston. It all does come down to personal royalties.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:37 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Houston to me has always felt like the Louisianna of Texas. Plenty of soul and culture. From the food to the diverse nationalities. Houston might not be as urban as New Orleans (pre katrina) but it does have somewhat of the similar flavor in some parts of the city.

I like Dallas, its just that most of Dallas's strong points are situated around shopping. I think Dallas has a bright future ahead of it just like Houston. I could easily live in both cities if i had to but if i had my choice, it would be Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas