Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 11:36 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times

Advertisements

I never understood why DFW residents look down on Houston. Same with Austin, they look down on Houston too and Houston's everybody's daddy in Texas! Houston's Big Poppa around here!

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 03-02-2012, 11:45 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Posters brag about suburban things, heck I live in Plano and rarely go to Dallas. Did you now Plano is the 9th largest city in Texas?

DFW residents look down on Houston, I can speak from numberous examples of personal experience. Houston could care less about someone from Dallas. The whose got the biggest dog in downtown is important to architects perhaps but matter not to me.
Where exactly are you meeting all these people who are down on Houston? Especially, if you live in Plano, as that place is filled with transplants from all over the nation.

I've lived in the DFW area much of my life and rarely has anyone ever mentioned Houston. The general attitude from my experience is indifference.

If you guys are saying you have a perception Houston is being looked down upon because many people in Dallas and Austin really could careless if you're the largest city in Texas, then I'll give you that one.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 PM

44 posts, read 80,545 times
agreed
nice

Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It was Danny, but I use it often And I think the stat you are looking for is that in SW Houston, the area packs more people than the entire city of Dallas in 200 sq miles using old census 2000 numbers

another good one is Beltway 8.

Beltway 6 is about 650 square miles and packs in 3M people. 600,000 more than the 900 sq mile Dallas county.

The Washington post map also divides Harris County into 4 parts, The Dallas posters who like to point out that if they join Dallas county and Tarrant County they get the same number of people in similar land area needs to go see that one. Splitting Harris into 4 Bits still leaves Houston plus the SW burbs with 3.5M people in an area the size of Dallas County. How do you like them apples
You can say the same thing about New York and LA, Chicago, Detroit, Philly none of those places have land like TEXAS so your point is???

Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,268 times
Quote:
so wait Hoboken is more dense than NY, but is only 1 sq mile. What does that say to you. Size means everything dude.
It tells me that Hoboken is more dense than New York, period. You can't go back and say it's less dense because it's smaller even though it's more dense. The density of water is 1 g/mL no matter if it's a cup, a gallon, or a lake. Likewise, the density of a city is what it is regardless of size.

Now if you want to say New York or Houston's density is more impressive because of its size, or something along those lines, that would be a little harder to argue against especially since it's subjective, but that's not what was said, now was it? The statement was that the city of Houston is denser than the city of Dallas, and that's only true by less than 3%, not enough to brag about.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
You can say the same thing about New York and LA, Chicago, Detroit, Philly none of those places have land like TEXAS so your point is???
Exactly. These are good examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Now if you want to say New York or Houston's density is more impressive because of its size, or something along those lines, that would be a little harder to argue against especially since it's subjective, but that's not what was said, now was it?
That is exactly what was said. And yet you and others have been arguing over it for ten pages. Here is what I first said on the subject.
Quote:
4000 ppsm over 600 sq miles is much more impressive than 4000 ppsm over 350 sq miles. Why??? because Houston maintains the same (well a little higher actually) density over a much much bigger area.
If you took a second to read before you jumped on disagreeing you would see that I used the EXACT same density for both but said one is much more impressive that the other because it carries it for a much wider area.

DO you even know what you are arguing over or you just disagree to disagree??

Old 03-02-2012, 12:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Ha, actually I didn't. I was really just yanking your chain, not trying to make some serious commentary...only thing I'll point out is that you are cherry picking Men's Fitness as junk
I cherry-pick Men's Fitness because for whatever reason, that seems to be the only "fattest" or "obese" city list that gets attention in the news, and that people mention or know about. So it comes up a lot. Otherwise, I probably would never acknowledge it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
although you're not the only one to have worked with stats...it was quant methods and SPSS that led me to ditch grad school shortly after I started
SPSS rocks! I don't know what we'd ever do without it.
Though these aren't all really about stats... it's about taking a hard look at the way the rankings, lists, or whatever are put together. As you probably know, a lot of things are just real rubbish meant to sell stories or promote political agendas.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Like I said before and I guess ill say it again

DFW metro has far more activities to do and to stay busy, other than Houston and since Dallas is the Center piece. What I mean by center piece is that everything that comes to Dallas goes straight to Ftworth,Plano,Irving,Denton, ETC... DFW don't hold things for their own they work together so that's what I mean when I say center piece. Since it is the center that means it's more official to who holds the Crown but again DFW Metro to me is ahead of Houston's Metro. Not major but it's ahead.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
The density of water is 1 g/mL no matter if it's a cup, a gallon, or a lake. Likewise, the density of a city is what it is regardless of size.

Now if you want to say New York or Houston's density is more impressive because of its size, or something along those lines, that would be a little harder to argue against especially since it's subjective, but that's not what was said, now was it? The statement was that the city of Houston is denser than the city of Dallas, and that's only true by less than 3%, not enough to brag about.

Well, i think its fair that people bring this up when everyone is always ragging on Houston's city population by mentioning its annexation and large city limits. When its convieient, people (i.e. Dallasites) love to use that against Houston, but can't stand it when Houston posters on here counter that by saying its still the densest area in Texas, and with inner city limit population encompassing the 610 loop, it's definitely the closest that Texas gets.

Dallas is about 200 sq miles less than Houston and is still less dense. I don't care if its only by a few thousand, 3% or 1 person. A city that has over twice the land area which includes a ship channel, several large urban parks, lakes, and etc says alot when its still denser than a city like Dallas that has less to work with.

I see alot of double standards on this forum. And yes, its comes from both sides. Houston posters are no more or less guilty, but lets not try to split hairs here. Ridiculous threads end up getting started by Dallas or Dallasfan posters about Houstonian's inferiority complex like its a one-way street. Just that thread alone shows how much Dallasites/Dallas fans try to stir up trouble.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippybarber View Post
Like I said before and I guess ill say it again

DFW metro has far more activities to do and to stay busy, other than Houston and since Dallas is the Center piece. What I mean by center piece is that everything that comes to Dallas goes straight to Ftworth,Plano,Irving,Denton, ETC... DFW don't hold things for their own they work together so that's what I mean when I say center piece. Since it is the center that means it's more official to who holds the Crown but again DFW Metro to me is ahead of Houston's Metro. Not major but it's ahead.
Far more to do, Ha!!! that is a joke.

Houston has more to do than Dallas. You can think what you want but Houston is THE city of Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas