U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,372,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Yes I do those things. We are comparing what things each city provides access and that logically includes the metopolitan area. Otherwise Dallas just has Love Field, right? Someone brought up bridges for example. The Hartmann Bridge in the Houston Metro actually serves a purpose to link existing economic bases to one another. And it's better looking all the same. Face it. DFW is fake and wannabe compared to Greater Houston. It's ok and nothing personal.
At least visitors will SEE our fake bridge....Where is Hartmann bridge again?!?.......Is it that industrial bridge that does not look better than the Hunt bridge??....thought so....what magzine cover has it graced???.....none!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 PM

659 posts, read 708,976 times
Because each city in the metro and the metro itself always sems to be positioning itself for this ideal of being accepted as world class but the results just seem contrived. I lived in DFW for 15 percent of my life and know the area that apparently is the target of the waterless bridge. Good luck. You'll need more than a starchitect bridge. But in true fasion at least it's well lit and shiny. Fake.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM

659 posts, read 708,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
At leiast visitors will SEE our fake bridge....Where is Hartmann bridge again?!?.......Is it that industrial bridge that does not look better than the Hunt bridge??....thought so....what magzine cover has it graced???.....none!
Well it's been discussed in the media for several years. It's still better looking than the knock off over the flood plain!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:06 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,177,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Htown, you really think I'm smart...........(in little kid voice) I think I can really sound dumb at times. LOL
yes hun. You say dumb things (especially when it comes to Houston). But I know you are really bright and just ignorant in this one area. You will learn eventually.

Like I said, I see you working here in Houston in ten years

Kdogg is wrong for that one. You are just green around the edges. You need more world experience, but you are a quite advanced otherwise for your age

Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 PM

4,687 posts, read 3,844,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yes hun. You say dumb things (especially when it comes to Houston). But I know you are really bright and just ignorant in this one area. You will learn eventually.

Like I said, I see you working here in Houston in ten years

Kdogg is wrong for that one. You are just green around the edges. You need more world experience, but you are a quite advanced otherwise for your age
I really do. That's why I'm on City Data. I need to know more, I don't want to be ignorant to certain things.

If I had to move, I would move to Houston.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 PM

1,841 posts, read 2,539,387 times
Quote:
How is DFW fake? It took 14 long years to build this bridge. If you saw the neighborhood that this bridge is in, you would be happy to see this area being redeveloped.
I'm with you. How can an entire metro area be "fake and wannabe"?

Sounds bitter to me.

Moving along... Because Houston doesn't mandate planning or zoning, it's not surprising that some pro-Houston posters don't understand the concept of development focussed on the area as a whole. The MHH Bridge is just one cog within an entire masterplan.

Trinity Groves in West Dallas is being inspired by the new bridge.

Quote:
Trinity Groves, the first major West Dallas development tied to the opening of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge, is expected to bring at least 15 new restaurant concepts and retailers to an area bereft of major attractions, the project’s backers said Tuesday.

In an interview with The Dallas Morning News, restaurateur Phil Romano and his business partner Stuart Fitts outlined plans for a “restaurant incubator,” where seasoned chefs and newbies can try out an idea. The area along Singleton Boulevard between Amonette and Herbert Street also will be home to a cooking school, art galleries, artisan cheese makers, a butcher shop and other attractions.

Exclusive: Developers plan restaurant incubator near Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge | Dallas-Fort Worth Business News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
Dallas could probably even build a cruise terminal to nowhere and make it work.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I really do. That's why I'm on City Data. I need to know more, I don't want to be ignorant to certain things.

If I had to move, I would move to Houston.
I new you were genius material

lol, anyway, you need to get world experience first hand.
You can't get it off the internet. It is 95% opinion 5% semi facts.

A great deal of people visit Italy and Love it, I thought it bla.
Many people visit island and think its bla, I thought it was totally awesome.

Make sure you involve yourself with a good research college and get involved in activities that involve travel. Say what you want about UH but I got to visit over 50 cities on their dime.

The first time I went to Dallas was on a school conference. They paid for trips to Phoenix, Santa Fe, Taos, Seattle, DC, NY, ATL, Chicago, SF, Juneau, NOLA, Miami, among other places. Some of these I had been to before or went back since, but it is a good opportunity to see places. My trips to Europe have been school related too. Although, I visited other countries on my stay with my own money, the school paid for my trip to London, my Trip to Paris, and for my research presentation in Sweden.

I need to explore Eastern Europe more. Want to spend a good deal of time in Russia, Poland, Austria and Hungary.

I still remember my first trip to Dallas. We had driven and got there at night. The lights at night were quite nicet.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 PM
JJG

10,643 posts, read 10,182,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Ok special child...I understand you are not the brightest guy in the world and at times you seem to lack common sense. So I guess that explains your witlessness.
... even I think that's a little too much.

I mean, I barely ever go to Dallas. Hell, I only go to Dallas for The Fair and maybe to visit relatives once or twice a year. No biggie...

Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... even I think that's a little too much.

I mean, I barely ever go to Dallas. Hell, I only go to Dallas for The Fair and maybe to visit relatives once or twice a year. No biggie...
well with cities that big, unless you work on the other side, there is little reason to cross over.

What has made the are so unified is the employment in-between the two cities. I think in 2000 the commuting rates were past 40% solidly putting it in the metro category, but I doubt it is that high from core to core. Lots of county crossings rather than just city crossings

Old 03-02-2012, 11:23 PM

4,687 posts, read 3,844,149 times
Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge Celebration This Weekend | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Dallas-Fort Worth's Latest Videos, News Video, and Video Clips | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas