Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Trying to explain to Dallasites why the Hunt bridge is utterly ridiculous is similar to me trying to explain to the Atlantans why the Arch d'IKEA is laugh-out-loud cheesy (I swear these two cities' posters are so alike, nowadays). Country folks just don't know any better, but bless their hearts for trying.

As a resident, I'd be too embarrassed to let a visitor from New York, Chicago, or Paris see that thing.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I agree Six Flags over Bankrupt is Awesome in Houston!
This post makes no sense. Six Flags left because the land was too valuable and the Texans didnt want to share lots anymore. Attendance was always up.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Trying to explain to Dallasites why the Hunt bridge is utterly ridiculous is similar to me trying to explain to the Atlantans why the Arch d'IKEA is laugh-out-loud cheesy (I swear these two cities' posters are so alike, nowadays). Country folks just don't know any better, but bless their hearts for trying.

As a resident, I'd be too embarrassed to let a visitor from New York, Chicago, or Paris see that thing.
The bridge is pretty ridiculous when you consider the astronomical cost for something that isn't aesthetically pleasing nor very practical. I posted this article in the Dallas forum which goes into detail about just how ridiculous it really is ( like the apparent $4million wasted on trying to "create" whitewater rapids on the Trinity.) When it comes to these cheesy stunts, it plays into the observation that Dallas is all hat and no cattle...glitz without the substance. Just like many Dallasites seem to be impressed by that tacky Omni Hotel downtown. It doesnt take much to impress alot of Dallas folks...just throw lights on it.

Just Pretend the Calatrava Bridge Really Is Opening, Sit Back and Listen to Lyle. - Page 1 - News - Dallas - Dallas Observer

Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
This post makes no sense. Six Flags left because the land was too valuable and the Texans didnt want to share lots anymore. Attendance was always up.
Yes, very valuable and what sits on this valuable land now?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... even I think that's a little too much.

I mean, I barely ever go to Dallas. Hell, I only go to Dallas for The Fair and maybe to visit relatives once or twice a year. No biggie...
He will get over it. I don't take back what I said. He needed to hear it. I am not giving the young brother a pass with illogical comments. Dallaz at this point is way too gullible and nice. His post immediately after proves my point. They will eat his ass alive in the real world. When he gets out in the real world he will experience much worse criticism from people outside of his own race. There is nothing over the top about what I posted. City-data is not the place to gain actual knowledge but rather a dumb opinionated site. I suggest the brother get his head in the books and stay focus on the task at hand and use this as motivational tool and not an insult.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
He will get over it. I don't take back what I said. He needed to hear it. I am not giving the young brother a pass with illogical comments. Dallaz at this point is way too gullible and nice. His post immediately after proves my point. They will eat his ass alive in the real world. When he gets out in the real world he will experience much worse criticism from people outside of his own race. There is nothing over the top about what I posted. City-data is not the place to gain actual knowledge but rather a dumb opinionated site. I suggest the brother get his head in the books and stay focus on the task at hand and use this as motivational tool and not an insult.
Oh, the irony...

Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
At least visitors will SEE our fake bridge....Where is Hartmann bridge again?!?.......Is it that industrial bridge that does not look better than the Hunt bridge??....thought so....what magzine cover has it graced???.....none!
At least Houston's bridges are functional & serve their purpose such as letting millions of dollars worth of cargo from other countries underneath them each & every day.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
At least Houston's bridges are functional & serve their purpose such as letting millions of dollars worth of cargo from other countries underneath them each & every day.
I thought the purpose of a bridge was to get people/vehicles across water. I don't think boats really need bridges to go under...

Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,199 times
I just wrote a really great post that broke down the whole reason for the bridge, but my phone crashed and I lost it. But in short the trinity river project is going to bring lots of cool stuff to that area including get this...WATER! So yea it looks weird now but one day the Trinity "River" will be bac, and I think building a bridge over land rather than water makes sense if u have that option.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Last time I checked this so called bridge to nowhere connects downtown to an older established neighborhood.

If y'all had this same scenario in Houston you'd be singing its praises to high heaven. Move on with your sour grapes, it's built, it's beautiful, it's functional and makes our city even better. Build a bridge and get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas