Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I really don't see a difference.
I'm sorry.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
There's a difference, but it begins and ends with the type of trees. Dallas has homes with the exact same architecture as what Nairobi posted, but Houston's crutch is its southern gulf style trees. Personally, I'm not a bit more impressed with it than the heavily wooded neighborhoods you posted. But to each their own. I don't think either side is going to convince the other. If I wasn't posting on a tablet, I'd gather and post pics from around Swiss Avenue, University Park, and Preston Hollow that would make the homeowners in Nairbo's photos blush.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
There's a difference, but it begins and ends with the type of trees. Dallas has homes with the exact same architecture as what Nairobi posted, but Houston's crutch is its southern gulf style trees. Personally, I'm not a bit more impressed with it than the heavily wooded neighborhoods you posted. But to each their own. I don't think either side is going to convince the other. If I wasn't posting on a tablet, I'd gather and post pics from around Swiss Avenue, University Park, and Preston Hollow that would make the homeowners in Nairbo's photos blush.
A crutch? Seriously?

How is having native trees in any way a "crutch" for Houston?

A crutch is using another city who wants nothing to do with you as your population enhancer ie: Fort Worth.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
A crutch? Seriously?

How is having native trees in any way a "crutch" for Houston?

A crutch is using another city who wants nothing to do with you as your population enhancer ie: Fort Worth.
It's a crutch when it becomes your argument for superiority in every other scenario, as it often has for Houstonians, with it's importance greatly exaggerated. People don't move to Houston or Dallas for trees.

Fort Worth is not a crutch for Dallas. Fort Worth is a great city that makes a great regional partner with Dallas. These aren't the days of Amon Carter. DART is currently helping them implement rail throughout their city -- doesn't sound like they want nothing to do with us. It sounds more like you can't separate a message board from reality. If Fort Worth doesn't exist, the Dallas side of the metro is still 4 million+ without them. Oh, dear, how would Dallas survive?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Everything has to be a competition, huh?

My first post was just giving an example of how Houston wasn't a bunch of ugly, like other people were suggesting. I wasn't trying to say that they were FAR more beautiful than anything in Dallas, just that Houston has certain neighborhoods posessing a specific charm that you don't get in North Texas. I'm not concerned with whether or not it impresses you, to be honest.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Big differences. Old neighborhoods in Dallas offer something Houston's simply cannot, rolling to hilly terrain.

Beautiful Oak Cliff!!!

Oak Cliff Photos

Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Everything has to be a competition, huh?

My first post was just giving an example of how Houston wasn't a bunch of ugly, like other people were suggesting. I wasn't trying to say that they were FAR more beautiful than anything in Dallas, just that Houston has certain neighborhoods posessing a specific charm that you don't get in North Texas. I'm not concerned with whether or not it impresses you, to be honest.
Well, you did post this in the smackdown thread, so, yes. I can be more cordial in other threads, and have defended Houston in others. Sorry, not here. We have rules.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
It's a crutch when it becomes your argument for superiority in every other scenario, as it often has for Houstonians, with it's importance greatly exaggerated. People don't move to Houston or Dallas for trees.

Fort Worth is not a crutch for Dallas. Fort Worth is a great city that makes a great regional partner with Dallas. These aren't the days of Amon Carter. DART is currently helping them implement rail throughout their city -- doesn't sound like they want nothing to do with us. It sounds more like you can't separate a message board from reality. If Fort Worth doesn't exist, the Dallas side of the metro is still 4 million+ without them. Oh, dear, how would Dallas survive?
Dallas County - 2.3 million

Collin County - 782k

Ellis County - 150k

Kaufman County - 103k

Rockwall County - 78k

To be fair lets split Denton County down the middle - 331,307

3,413,000 + 331,307 = 3,744,307

Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Big differences. Old neighborhoods in Dallas offer something Houston's simply cannot, rolling to hilly terrain.

Beautiful Oak Cliff!!!

Oak Cliff Photos
See, and that's clearly a difference, so I don't see how anyone could say they don't see any.

Quote:
Well, you did post this in the smackdown thread, so, yes. I can be more cordial in other threads, and have defended Houston in others. Sorry, not here. We have rules.
You sho right.

It's just too bad that we can't actually SMACK people, though.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
I don't think anyone's trying to say Houston offers something Dallas doesn't, but just saying that Houston has neighborhoods and areas of town that are just as good as the ones in Dallas.

stoneclaw/C2H(ComingtoHouston)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas